Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I wouldn't call that paranoid. I'd call that rational.
In the ocean: yes; in the pool: no.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My greatest fear, which is always there somewhere on the edge, snickering at me, is living too long; past any purpose or meaning, lying there dieing bit by bit, smelling of death and decay.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MooreBonds, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Sharks: I don't know why, but when I was little, I was afraid of swimming by myself in my parents' swimming pool. (No, it wasn't cloudy with algae where you couldn't see the bottom ). Was always paranoid of a shark. Same with being in the ocean. Have since gotten over the pool thing, but still a little weary of being in the ocean.

From the plot of Live and Let Die: Live and Let Die: Information and Much More from Answers.com

Later, back in San Monique, Bond interrupts the voodoo sacrifice and frees Solitaire. Bond shoots at least three Baron Samedis. But the real one rises from a grave with a machete, leading to a fight. Samedi ends up being killed in a coffin full of poisonous snakes. Bond and Solitaire travel below ground into Kananga's lair. In the end, Kananga cuts Bond several times, drawing blood to bait some sharks. But Bond puts a gas pellet in Kananga's mouth, forcing the dictator to turn into a balloon and explode.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

tsunami's - i have a recurring dream/nightmare where there are tsunamis/giant waves involved a couple times per year.

I am a soCal girl who grew up in the pool and at the beach but i'm a terrible swimmer. even got pulled out of the ocean once by a lifeguard cuz of a rip-tide, another time got sucked under at a beach w/ a very strong undercurrent - couldn't get up for air - when i did there was a wave, pulled back down, came up, another wave - it was terrible! crowded beach, nobody noticed... i finally got a toe to touch the floor, and let a wave push me closer to shore, then dragged my butt back on land! i still go in - but i guess my sub conscious is freaked out!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Oh yeah...... did I mention my fear? Bears! Don't know why. I camp in bear country frequently but feel compelled to bring along bear spray, an air horn, fire crackers, a whistle and a friend who can't run as fast as me!
When I lived in a remote cabin in Alaska, I discovered my unreasoning fear of bears. I made many solo hikes 1.5 miles down to the RR tracks and back, carrying my worldly goods through virgin forest, bells ringing on my pack in the hopes it would scare the bears away. The many piles of bear poop on the trail made me even more scared. At least none of them had bells mixed in.
Then we went into Anchorage and saw a movie. It had a cartoon first, of Bongo the Circus Bear. I nearly passed out when I realized that I remembered reading that Little Golden Book when I was a child, and feeling so sorry for Bongo when the wild bears made fun of him and hurt his feelings. Scenes from the book flashed in my memory that weren't even in the movie.
Two days later when we hiked back into the cabin I realized my phobia of bears was gone.
Years later when I was alone at the place watching a grizzly through the window, I was scared but in a reasonable way, not a phobia.
What a stupid way to get a phobia - a Little Golden Book!
Did you read Bongo as a child? Maybe that's your problem?!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have a situational fear of heights. I was a military pilot and have no problem with flying. No problem with bridges, high buildings, etc. But climbing on a ladder more than 10 or 12 feet high is uncomfortable.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. While I have no military experience, I think aerobatics are fun, but I don't like ladders or scaffolds. I can force myself to do it but I don't like it.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Public speaking. The thought of it absolutely makes me freeze.
I had that problem. The cure was becoming a police officer and addressing a crowd that was literally throwing rocks and bottles at me. After that, any other public speaking is easy.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #48

Blindness and/or paralysis hold terror for me, which is really about loss of independence.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Ah yes - one of my favorite Bond flicks. A staple of my high school years.

Helen: I wouldn't call your sensitivity a "phobia" - I'd say that people who have it (including myself) are merely perceptive enough to see through someone's BS shield of imaginary feelings that they shower on everyone to try and sound good (since they have no inner authenticity to rely on, as good hearted people have).
Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I love James Bond movies! Doubt he had any phobias. Here's my favorite:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldfing.jpg (15.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

"I don't like spiders and snakes..." - Jim Stafford

As for Bond films, my fav is Diamonds Are Forever (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Flying.

My FIL was moving back north to live with us. He said he would die if he had to fly. His sons convinced him that was the best way to travel back home. Well he died on the way home.

It bothers me so much that I can't fly.

Years ago I had been in a small float plane flying up in Canada and the pilot had plane trouble and we almost crashed when taking off. After that I gave up small planes. I still could fly in the big ones but they made me squeamish. Now I can't fly at all.

Totally irrational.

I had a time when I was afraid to fly so I got a tape that was supposed to cure you of it and it worked . If I knew I had a trip coming up I'd listen to it every day and now I'm not crazy about flying but I'm able to do it several times a year .I'd tell you the name but I haven't used it in years and I'm not sure where it is but I'm sure if you goggled fear of flying you'd find one .
Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #53

In decreasing order:

Fear of heights - more than 4 feet off the ground on a stepladder or more than 8 feet off the ground on an extension ladder. Also being closer than 4-5 feet to the edge of a precipice.

Public Speaking - in venues consisting mostly of strangers (but no issue addressing several hundred company employeers)

Hiking Alone - in mountainous bear and cougar country (feel better if I have a rifle with me)

Needles - what more can I say?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #54

When I was young, I was afraid of:
- the dark
- cockroaches: We had the flying kind in Manila, and they were scary and disgusting to me. I even had a nightmare that I was married to a human-sized one. (Maybe lg4nb can explain that dream but sometimes a cockroach is just a cockroach.)
- the Devil: I saw the movie "The Exorcist"--big mistake. I wore a rosary around my neck when I went to sleep for a few weeks afterwards.

I don't think I have phobias now, but I have occasional attacks of weird thoughts when I am alone in the house at night. Sometimes I suddenly get afraid when I am taking a shower at night when I am alone. (I've never seen "Psycho" but I've seen enough of the trailer.) If BF is out and I am already in bed, sometimes I leave my nightstand lamp on when I think about supernormal beings like vampires, demons, the Devil, etc.

I was raised in a superstitious culture with lots of myths and stories about supernormal/paranormal creatures.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Being forced to live in a trailer park in Arkansas, next door to circus clowns with video cameras and leprous Marshallese.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!!!

We should start a support group.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Blindness and/or paralysis hold terror for me, which is really about loss of independence.
I worry about blindness occasionally, too. My dad was semi-paralyzed and house-bound for 13 years before he died, but oddly enough, I don't worry too much about paralysis.

Maybe because I am more of a reader than a really physically active and athletic person, I am more sensitive to my age-related vision weakening than to the less noticeable (to me) over-all aging of my body.

Now, randy clowns and leprosy--yikes! Is there no end to the to-worry-about list?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
cockroaches: We had the flying kind in Manila. I even had a nightmare that I was married to a human-sized one. (sometimes a cockroach is just a cockroach.)
Ewwwww!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Flying - I do it 4 to 5 times a year and I've gotten better but still have big problems without DW with me. Use to have problems with height (tall buildings) and tall bridges; getting older seems to have helped. Medication for flying
Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Heights. Can't stand being on edges (e.g. cliffs), ladders, etc. But I used to sky dive and had no problem stepping out on the strut under the wing of the plane. I also don't have a problem on climbing walls where I am well secured to a belaying rope. But put me on a tall ladder or unsecured on an edge -- ugh.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Heck, I was trying to figure out what I'm a feared of......and can't think of a single thing! Maybe I don't have any phobias......or maybe I'm just too dumb to realize that I should be afraid of something or another!

Well.....I've sat here for about 10 minutes now, pondering it.....and still can't come up with anything. Dang! Now I feel like a misfit!
what did you think it meant when your friends said "darling, you are phobialess!"

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote