Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Question..... have you guys used one of those bear proof food containers? They look like a small beer keg. Instead of hanging your canvas food pack in a tree, which can be a real pita to get done, you just tie this food container to a tree and sit it on the ground. The bear supposedly can't get into it and can't carry it away.
We haven't, but friends have. They do work by all reports. Last time I checked they weren't cheap, and we are, so we don't have one. The alternative is to leave your food a long ways away from camp, if there are no trees around.
They make a handy camp stool if your knees bend well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am too freaked out to think straight, so usually I just intentionally wake up when I realize what is going on.
since falling can't hurt you in your dream then perhaps that fear is not there to protect you but serves some other function.

"let yourself fall and a net will appear."

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
The alternative is to leave your food a long ways away from camp, if there are no trees around.
We've done that a few times when we got to a campsite late and were too tired to spend time hanging it up. Worked so far. When we do do that, I'm more concerned about rodents, etc., finding it and chewing their way in than about a bear finding it.

Speaking of bears....... Why yes, yes they do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear in woods.jpg (71.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
since falling can't hurt you in your dream then perhaps that fear is not there to protect you but serves some other function.

"let yourself fall and a net will appear."
That's an idea I could try - - a net. If it breaks, I could make another.

I don't know why the fear is there, actually. You're right - - if I let myself continue until I hit the ground, nothing would actually happen to me. I could just get up and walk away (in the dream). I always awaken in sheer terror before I get even halfway to the earth.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #105

well, if the fear isn't there for protection, but yet the fear is there nonetheless, why is it there? for no reason at all? what other purpose does fear serve?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #106

Quote:
what other purpose does fear serve?
I find it helpful when I want an excuse to invade resource-rich countries.

BTW, nobody has mentioned a germ phobia yet, have they? Tiny. Invisible. And deadly!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
well, if the fear isn't there for protection, but yet the fear is there nonetheless, why is it there? for no reason at all? what other purpose does fear serve?
I suppose any intensity could be a relief after a tedious day chained to a cubicle.

Or, the dreams could be a way of trying to come to terms with death, without actually dying. I really want to be immortal, but that doesn't seem to be an option. If I interfere with the emotions and fear, I am not dealing with the central issue.

Other than these, I have no idea.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #108

as they are your emotions, your fear, how could you interfere with them? often the central issue is not what we are experiencing as it might seem life leads us to believe, but rather, as in "life is beautiful", the central issue is how we handle what we think we might be experiencing.

a college roommate of mine was the son of holocaust survivors. i met the parents. the father screams every night in his sleep and the mother, imprisoned as a very young child, never grew up.

here is a good example from that movie where the father does what he must to make his child comfortable & even happy in a fear-based nightmare so that instead of being stunted by what you might think he should be experiencing, the child might maintain the opportunity to continue to grow.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #109
Administrator

Whew - - what a film segment that was.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Speaking of bears....... Why yes, yes they do!
Dangnabit, I've been saving that picture for about a year for "just the right moment". That'll teach me to sit on something for too long
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

A pounding surf in stormy weather terrifies me. I'm completely overtaken by fear...sweaty palms, difficulty breathing, inablility to stand...illogical.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

As Bobby said to Pam, "It's just a dream."

Mike D.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Cockroaches. I live in NYC. 'Nuff said.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by podey View Post
Cockroaches. I live in NYC. 'Nuff said.
In my early 20's I was sent to a regional training school for heating & refrigeration repair in NJ. One of the guys in the class was from NYC and we were discussing how gross some of the houses were that we had to go into. His comment was "You know it's a bad neighborhood when you pull the refrigerator out from the wall and the roaches pull it back".
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #115

With more press about bed bugs in hotels lately, I think I will add them to my list.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Vicious dogs. I love gentle dogs, but I got bit too many times on my paper route.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

i don't like spiders and snakes...la la la la la la la la la

i have to say it's BEES, wasps, hornets, etc

i'm not allergic, but as a very young kid, i was afraid to enter my front door cuz they always made nests underneath the porch. i used the basement door for years til i figured out what bee killer spray was. it was always there, but never within reach.

and let's not forget the lion that lived at the top of the steps on the way to bed...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i have to say it's BEES, wasps, hornets, etc
As long as I know there around, wasps and hornets don't bother me.....but if they and I meet each other unexpectedly, it freaks me out for a few seconds!

As for bees......I love 'em! They are one of the most fascinating little creatures to watch. I purposely have containers of flowering plants sitting on our patio table from spring thru fall, just so I can watch the bees 'up close & personal'......especially the big ol' bumble bees!!! They buzz around, moving from bloom to bloom, and occasionally land on my arm or hand.....just to say "Howdy!". The bumble bees are VERY docile little fellas.......you really have to go out of your way p*ss them off enough to get them to sting.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
As long as I know there around, wasps and hornets don't bother me.....but if they and I meet each other unexpectedly, it freaks me out for a few seconds!

As for bees......I love 'em! They are one of the most fascinating little creatures to watch. I purposely have containers of flowering plants sitting on our patio table from spring thru fall, just so I can watch the bees 'up close & personal'......especially the big ol' bumble bees!!! They buzz around, moving from bloom to bloom, and occasionally land on my arm or hand.....just to say "Howdy!". The bumble bees are VERY docile little fellas.......you really have to go out of your way p*ss them off enough to get them to sting.

yes, bumblebees are very cool. very big and fuzzy too. they visit me in my garden and hang out in the zucchini flowers.

the bees i'm afraid of are those nasty agressive yellow jackets (striped yellow/black abdomen) that attend every picnic and find every soda can in the universe. here, they make ground burrows you can't see and GHY if you disturb them while mowing. they attack.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #120

What an interesting thread. I remembered several phobias that I had forgotten about! I have had a phobia of elevators, going up more than three or four stories for as long as I can remember. Maybe I saw too many elevator crashes in movies when I was a kid. I used to have nightmares of falling in an elevator. But I've been avoiding them for so long I had forgotten it was a phobia. I've climbed many stairs to avoid the elevator! I would never want to go up in a skyscraper. Just the idea of it makes me cringe.

But in general I like heights. I live near the Rocky Mountains and love to hike up to a high spot and look down. I love the Grand Canyon too and looking out an airplane window to see the ground thousands of feet down.

I always thought I was phobic about large bugs but in Africa I wanted to see them up close.

Also, I used to be phobic about public speaking then I became a college teacher and overcame that fear only to have it come back in recent years. Go figure!