Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
We haven't, but friends have. They do work by all reports. Last time I checked they weren't cheap, and we are, so we don't have one. The alternative is to leave your food a long ways away from camp, if there are no trees around.
They make a handy camp stool if your knees bend well.
Bear vaults, or "bear resistant food canisters/containers", are required in some areas. E.g., approved containers are mandatory in Yosemite. It is interesting, the bears in the Sierras have become expert food thieves...

Yosemite National Park - Bears & Food Storage While Backpacking (U.S. National Park Service)

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
Bear vaults, or "bear resistant food canisters/containers", are required in some areas. E.g., approved containers are mandatory in Yosemite. It is interesting, the bears in the Sierras have become expert food thieves...

Yosemite National Park - Bears & Food Storage While Backpacking (U.S. National Park Service)
Yes, I think they're required in Denali National Park as well.
Anyone else remember the stories about the bears in Yosemite preferring to break into certain model cars? CNN - Hungry bears prefer meals in imported cars - January 19, 1999
They learn fast.
The only time we had a bear in our cabin is when the neighbor (a couple miles away) left meat in his cabin and the window uncovered. Within a week a bear broke through our window shutter, and none had ever even tried before. Luckily our food was stored up high where he couldn't get it, and no meat - he never came back.
Both cabins had no people inside at the time.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Yes, I think they're required in Denali National Park as well.
Anyone else remember the stories about the bears in Yosemite preferring to break into certain model cars? CNN - Hungry bears prefer meals in imported cars - January 19, 1999
They learn fast.
The only time we had a bear in our cabin is when the neighbor (a couple miles away) left meat in his cabin and the window uncovered. Within a week a bear broke through our window shutter, and none had ever even tried before. Luckily our food was stored up high where he couldn't get it, and no meat - he never came back.
Both cabins had no people inside at the time.
Reminds me of the old Yellowstone bears ('60s I think - looked sort of like Disney stuff) where the bears learned they could jump on a VW bug and the doors would pop open. Ranger said the bugs were so air tight that the bear's weight caused the doors to pop open. So, even back then, the bears were targeting foreign cars!

When we camped in Alaska, I was afraid of the bears. Then the Ranger in Denali told us that the moose is just as deadly as the bear, only they don't eat you after they kill you. Soooo, I was just as afraid of the moose as the bears. BTW, didn't let the fear get the best of me...had a great time!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
...As for bees......I love 'em! ........They buzz around, moving from bloom to bloom, and occasionally land on my arm or hand.....just to say "Howdy!".
BTW, I have allergic reactions to bee stings, but not too severe....just a goodly amount of swelling near the sting area. Usually an OTC antihistamine does the trick.....if not I call Doc and get a prescription for those pills that you take like 8 today, 7 tomorrow....declining number daily.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
BTW, I have allergic reactions to bee stings, but not too severe....just a goodly amount of swelling near the sting area. Usually an OTC antihistamine does the trick.....if not I call Doc and get a prescription for those pills that you take like 8 today, 7 tomorrow....declining number daily.
Goonie , allergic reactions can worsen so be careful and maybe carry an epipen with you . Allergic Reactions | Anaphylaxis Allergy | EpiPen Auto-Injector
Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
What an interesting thread. I remembered several phobias that I had forgotten about! I have had a phobia of elevators, going up more than three or four stories for as long as I can remember. Maybe I saw too many elevator crashes in movies when I was a kid. I used to have nightmares of falling in an elevator. But I've been avoiding them for so long I had forgotten it was a phobia. I've climbed many stairs to avoid the elevator! I would never want to go up in a skyscraper. Just the idea of it makes me cringe.
I had a secretary that had an elevator fear. My office was on the eighth floor. She took the stairs each morning and if she went out to lunch.

I don't have the elevator fear but I sometimes have elevator nightmares. I get on an elevator and it starts tipping and otherwise going out of control. Very realistic and frightening.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I don't have an elevator fear except those glass elevators that go up the sides of buildings . They scare the s--- out of me !
Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't have an elevator fear except those glass elevators that go up the sides of buildings . They scare the s--- out of me !
While in the area for training, our gang of technicians rode the elevator up the side of the Westin Bonaventure in LA, then had a drink in the revolving restaurant at the top. I made out ok, but I was a bit squeamish...

Ok, with elevators, not so good with heights...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
With more press about bed bugs in hotels lately, I think I will add them to my list.
Unfortunately, I can relate to it. (bed bugs in a New Zealand hostel)

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...s-25151-2.html
Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

Heights. Like several others, it is unenclosed heights that do me in. Tops of buildings are okay if I'm inside. I've improved to the point where I can get up on a ladder 15' up. Big airplanes are okay.

I've been scared out of my noggin when:
Taking the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower. The top was relatively okay, but I was a wreck going up.
A little ski-lift type thing across Hershey Park. Should have known better.
Lift off in a puddle-jumper (eight seater) airplane.
A ferris wheel in an amusement park in the tiny little town I grew up in (park is Darien Lake, NY). At one point the ferris wheel the tallest one in the world.

Oh, and I'm not usually claustrophobic, but there have been situations where I've panicked. Most notably in an enclosed MRI.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #131
Confused about dryer sheets

Heights but not flying. I love to fly
long bridges
tunnels, caves or anything underground
anything under water
confined spaces
crowds
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #132
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I don't have the elevator fear but I sometimes have elevator nightmares. I get on an elevator and it starts tipping and otherwise going out of control. Very realistic and frightening.
I had one years ago in which someone pushed button "13" in the elevator for a 12 story building. The elevator shot through the roof energetically and launched from there into the upper atmosphere, from where it fell to earth like a stone. Definitely terrifying. Always check the number of floors in the building before choosing a button to press.

I do have elevator fear, but suppress it. You gotta do what you gotta do. It helps to not think of how far the empty space extends beneath your feet, to the bottom of the elevator shaft. I always look before stepping into an elevator, just to make sure there is one there and the doors didn't just open for no reason. Silly, I know!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Not too fond of elevators myself. I got stuck in one once for a little while. The fire department had to come to my rescue.

Ah...firefighters.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Bugs that sting, especially poisonous ones (reason its a phobia instead of a healthy fear is that it is disproportionate to the amount of pain and damage the stings or bites can do). But I am only afraid if they can somehow touch me, I actually find them fascinating behind glass.

Heights where I can't grip something with my hands. Doesn't matter if I could normally walk on it with no trouble. Once I am without handholds and some distance above ground, I have to fight to not crouch down so my hands can grip something. If I can grip something, it really doesn't matter. In fact I usually like the view.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Not too fond of elevators myself. I got stuck in one once for a little while. The fire department had to come to my rescue.
At MegaCorp we have executives on the top floor of my building. Most of the engineers take the stairs every day so as to ensure that they don't have to get into an elevator with the executives. Some of the executives (literally) frown on anyone else entering their elevator, so I suppose there's a bit of fear and loathing on both sides.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #136

My niece, now 49, still remembers the monster in the attic. She was staying overnight with my younger sister in the upstairs bedroom. Older sister was at a sleepover at a friend's, so my niece slept in older sister's bed.

There was a hole in the ceiling in preparation for a light fixture, and younger sister told niece that there was monster in the ceiling and to watch out for it. Niece finally fell fitfully asleep but was awakened when the cat, who didn't know that the older sister wasn't there, jumped up on niece's bed.

The resulting screams woke the entire house. Scared the cat too.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Needles

When I was younger:
Bees...I read some book where a kid died from a bee sting and I was terrified I was allergic
Lighting matches. Finally had to learn to do this for some Girl Scouting thing and it took me *hours.*
Making phone calls. Hours of anxiety before making calls I dreaded. When I had a paper route, I had to call in my monthly takes to the newspaper office. For two years I never spoke to a real human being, always called after hours and left a message.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

I don't have the elevator fear but I sometimes have elevator nightmares.
A few years ago, I got on a very crowded and noisy elevator, I inched my way to the back and after finding a spot shouted out to the operator
"Ballroom please".

The woman right in front of me, turned around and said, "Sorry, sir, didn't realize I was standing so close to you".
Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
A few years ago, I got on a very crowded and noisy elevator, I inched my way to the back and after finding a spot shouted out to the operator
"Ballroom please".

The woman right in front of me, turned around and said, "Sorry, sir, didn't realize I was standing so close to you".

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
"Ballroom please".

I guess she was impressed Jarhead. Did you get her phone#?

Ha