What's your Poison (Liquor) of Choice these days??

What a fun thread. DH and I love wine and are willing to try anything,,,,,reasonable in price that is. We live near a wine superstore and will shop there a couple of time a year buying anything within our price range that looks interesting. We have found a lot of great wines that way and have fun doing wine tastings for friends and family. Thats a really nice way to entertain by the way.
We also like beer and particularly interested in the small boutique brewers. Again we pick up some at restaurants and are lucky to have a beer distributer who stocks a large selection of beers from micro breweries. We also love to try what ever is local when ever we travel and love dining at the restaurants associated with these small breweries.

As far a my poison of choice I have to say Bombay Sapphire and tonic for me and Oban neat for him.

Seriously, it amazes me how many here on the ER forum drink. I don't drink, Frank doesn't drink, and at the moment I can't think of any of my colleagues who drink. The last person I saw drinking an alcoholic beverage was Frank's father, and he passed away last Easter. I thought drinking was about as passe as smoking these days.
I don't think it's much at all like smoking.

Having one, or at most two drinks a day actually has health benefits, and to most people it is not addictive. The benefits aren't enough to take it up, since too much drinking far outweighs the small benefits.

Drinking tends to be something you do with others who also drink, or in your own home, so it's not surprising you don't cross paths that much with people who are drinking alcohol. Probably the easiest test is to eat dinner where alcohol is served, and note on the tables how many adults have alcoholic drinks of some kind, and how many don't.

Most smokers are addicted so if you spend a few hours with them you'll most likely see them smoke, or see them slip away so as to not bother you with the smoke, but you'll smell it on their clothes afterwards. Only the real problem drinker will need to take a nip in that same time frame.

We go to wine tastings at our local liquor store occasionally .What a hoot ! We have met so many fun people that way .It's $10.00 which includes a wine glass ,lots of wine and food and a $10.00 certificate good on any purchase you make that night .Talk about a good value .

Want2, I was just thinking how weird it was that so many folks said they don't drink!
I was thinking...I don't know anyone who doesn't drink!
I think that is why this particular social circle is not remotely representative of our "normal lives" back home!
Viva la difference! Oh, wait, I just remembered that my sister dated a guy about 10 years ago who didn't drink, but he was a reformed alcoholic and that was why. He drank that near beer stuff instead.

Want2, I was just thinking how weird it was that so many folks said they don't drink!
I was thinking...I don't know anyone who doesn't drink!
I think that is why this particular social circle is not remotely representative of our "normal lives" back home!
Viva la difference! Oh, wait, I just remembered that my sister dated a guy about 10 years ago who didn't drink, but he was a reformed alcoholic and that was why. He drank that near beer stuff instead.

Now that you point it out - - I went back and did a quick count, and looks like maybe about 8% don't drink, 92% do. That's more non-drinkers in this thread than I thought.

Frank and I don't drink because we have each had bad experiences with alcoholics in the past. Plus, he doesn't like the stuff. I do, but not enough to take the risk (bad genes in that regard). Besides, like I said, I'd rather save the calories for corn & crab bisque, chicken parmesan, and fresh French bread with water to drink at one of our favorite restaurants. But that is my choice, and thank goodness we all have our own choices. Like you said, Viva la difference! and laissez les bons temps rouler, in whatever fashion you prefer.

Fat Tire is my favorite beer, but it is hard to "import" it to this side of the Mississippi. Bell's Oberon is tasty in the summer months. The Christmas season always makes me thirsty for Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA.

Yeah but, if you have a couple of drinks you wont care about all the calories in the food you eat afterwards...

I noticed some people drinking near-beer last night. I just don't get it. I am just not a fan of the "taste" of beer. If I'm drinking it, it is probably 95% alcohol, 5% taste. If I am drinking something to actually enjoy, I'm a fan of the hard ciders. They can be very dangerous!

If anyone watches "How I met your mother" I have to agree with Marshall, when describing how awful it is to be a woman-

Marshall: Oh, poor me. I get to order yummy pink drinks with chunks of real fruit that guys secretly like but can’t order because they’ll be made fun of.
Ted: Dude
Marshall: They’re delicious!

Now that I am married, I am all for the fruity pink stuff. Personal favorite, a nice Mojito with real muddled mint. Also great, Capirinhas.

Those latin countries sure know how to make a fruity drink!

Beer. Smithwick's, and Saranac Black and Tan.

Coors Lite beer. if they don't have it I'll take a Bud Lite.

I don't drink beer or liquor of any kind but have you ever tried LBJ's beer of choice Lone Star Beer. It is known as the National Beer of Texas.

My grandpa used to drink it and he told me that it was SO GOOD that it would grow hair on a man's chest.

GOD BLESS:angel:

I don't drink beer or liquor of any kind but have you ever tried LBJ's beer of choice Lone Star Beer. It is known as the National Beer of Texas.

My grandpa used to drink it and he told me that it was SO GOOD that it would grow hair on a man's chest.

GOD BLESS:angel:

I may very well be mistaken but I thought I read LBJ drank Pearl. Pearl, by the way, is the WORST BEER IN THE WORLD.

I am just not a fan of the "taste" of beer. If I'm drinking it, it is probably 95% alcohol, 5% taste.

If anyone watches "How I met your mother" I have to agree with Marshall, when describing how awful it is to be a woman-

Marshall: Oh, poor me. I get to order yummy pink drinks with chunks of real fruit that guys secretly like but can’t order because they’ll be made fun of.

Personal favorite, a nice Mojito with real muddled mint.

Wow, it's an interesting world. I don't like the effects of alcohol but love the flavors it comes in. If it didn't make me drunk I would drink all sorts of mixed drinks all the time.

Plus, I am am so many drugs like immunosuppressants that you can't use alcohol with.

I want to try a real Mojito with the crushed mint and real sugar. They make mixes but I'm betting it's just not the same.

I love How I Met Your Mother. I think it's the best comedy on TV.

Mike D.

I love Campari

It's a red Italian liquor that is very bitter. It's an aperitif apparently, but I drink it anytime. Great on its own or with a bit of OJ and lemon juice. I have yet to meet anyone who actually likes this drink as much as me (or likes it at all). Very popular in Italy though.

Beer. Smithwick's, and Saranac Black and Tan.

i have a few friends from upstate new york that moved to california
and they always lamented about missing their saranac black and tans.
never tried it myself. i'd like to tho..

I noticed some people drinking near-beer last night. I just don't get it. I am just not a fan of the "taste" of beer. If I'm drinking it, it is probably 95% alcohol, 5% taste. If I am drinking something to actually enjoy, I'm a fan of the hard ciders. They can be very dangerous!

Now that I am married, I am all for the fruity pink stuff. Personal favorite, a nice Mojito with real muddled mint. Also great, Capirinhas.

Those latin countries sure know how to make a fruity drink!

The few times i've been to england, i quite enjoyed some of the ciders
i had there. When i can back to the states , i tried i few but found
them to be for the most part sorely lacking. Maybe it was because
they were from kegs (fresher??) whatever it was, they were a lot better
in the taste quality department. Of course that can be said of the beer also.
getting a "Hand pulled" pint was just so much more flavorful than something
out of a bottle.

Jameson (any age). My pathetic shot drinking skills have been vastly improved by the dedicated training and demonstrations of my 2 biz partners

Lone Star beer is the WORST beer, many places in South Texas do not even stock it anymore.
DH likes an IPA or Bock beer, Crown Royal liquor and Gin and Tonic with extra lime in the summer.
I like wine occasionally but the new trick drink at our house is Baileys and Butter Shots schnapps on the rocks. Only one after food as it is SWEET. Baileys and coffee is a favorite in the winter too.
2fer

Lone Star was what we bought in college sometimes because it was so cheap. It was horrible. Living way below my means then. Now I can afford something better and still not break the bank!

Back
Top Bottom