Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wags!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
A pint of Guinness paired up with a shot of Jameson to sip.

mmmmm......Delicious!
Slainte!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I love a good Australian Shiraz.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmmm... Well, if it's brown liquor, it's Woodford Reserve bourbon with a little water and ice. If its' beer, it's Bass Ale. If it's wine, a good shiraz will do.

Mostly, though, I'd prefer beer, and one of the darker, hoppier pale ales, of which there are many. Bud, Bud lite, Miller, Miller lite, Coors, stuff like that, I'm not a big enough drinker that I have to drink them, so if there's nothing else, I don't. If that makes me a beer snob, then so be it. I don't drink more than two at a time, anyway....
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #65

Can't go wrong with a gin & tonic!

Also love beer - Yuengling, Stella Artois are my favorites

When in the tropics/at the beach, gotta have my foo-foo drinks...pina colada's, etc.

Margarita's on the rocks...mmmm.....mmmm.....good!

And my friend's DH makes the best cosmo's!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Mostly beer, but I like variety
Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Mostly beer, but I like variety

With the season, mudslide, egg nog with bourbon, irish cream coffee, hot buttered rum, and cognac.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Red wines, beer, and an occasional margarita.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #68

Amstel Light, Fat Tire, various microbrews, but I'm drinking a Bud Light while writing this.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Man chugs liter of vodka in airport security line

Okay fess up who was it ?
NOT I... Not a man and not a vodka fan!

Much prefer a nice Canadian or Cognac... Unless sipping a flavorful red wine from South America or Australia
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Chivas on the rocks.
Gentleman Jack on the rocks.

Toasty.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Jim makes me feel like a rock star.

My favorite, though, is Gin and tonic, but the wife says I get "mean" when I drink gin, so it is banned from my repertoire.

I am probably the only one answering this after a hard night of partying. Work party at the museum of natural history under that giant whale in NYC. It's good to be in a profitable company
Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Olav you're not alone. Just slugged down my share of mostly Chilean Merlot. And a Napa Cabernet. And some other red wines.

My poison of choice... red, red wine.

If drinking beer I'll take a bitter IPA please.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Beer fan here.

Tequila - Most expensive Anejos 100% Blue Agave. Good mid-level is Don Julio anejo. To be taken neat... sip it.

For Bourbon Whiskey, Makers Mark is hard to beat. To be taken neat... sip it.

But I especially like Crown Royal... hand down, the best blended Whiskey available. Nectar from the Canucks. To be taken neat or with ice... sip it.

For a mixed drink.... Margaritas are good. I usually have Stoli (vodka) with tonic water, ice, and a twist of lime.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23 View Post
Jim makes me feel like a rock star.
Funny, that's how I feel after downing a hearty glass of skim milk.

Seriously, it amazes me how many here on the ER forum drink. I don't drink, Frank doesn't drink, and at the moment I can't think of any of my colleagues who drink. The last person I saw drinking an alcoholic beverage was Frank's father, and he passed away last Easter. I thought drinking was about as passe as smoking these days.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
But I especially like Crown Royal... hand down, the best blended Whiskey available. Nectar from the Canucks. To be taken neat or with ice... sip it.
That's about my fave Canuck whiskey. A few years ago while on a business trip to Toronto and wondering what to do with my remaining CAD, I happened across a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve in the duty free shop. Amazing stuff.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a fun thread. DH and I love wine and are willing to try anything,,,,,reasonable in price that is. We live near a wine superstore and will shop there a couple of time a year buying anything within our price range that looks interesting. We have found a lot of great wines that way and have fun doing wine tastings for friends and family. Thats a really nice way to entertain by the way.
We also like beer and particularly interested in the small boutique brewers. Again we pick up some at restaurants and are lucky to have a beer distributer who stocks a large selection of beers from micro breweries. We also love to try what ever is local when ever we travel and love dining at the restaurants associated with these small breweries.

As far a my poison of choice I have to say Bombay Sapphire and tonic for me and Oban neat for him.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Seriously, it amazes me how many here on the ER forum drink. I don't drink, Frank doesn't drink, and at the moment I can't think of any of my colleagues who drink. The last person I saw drinking an alcoholic beverage was Frank's father, and he passed away last Easter. I thought drinking was about as passe as smoking these days.
I don't think it's much at all like smoking.

Having one, or at most two drinks a day actually has health benefits, and to most people it is not addictive. The benefits aren't enough to take it up, since too much drinking far outweighs the small benefits.

Drinking tends to be something you do with others who also drink, or in your own home, so it's not surprising you don't cross paths that much with people who are drinking alcohol. Probably the easiest test is to eat dinner where alcohol is served, and note on the tables how many adults have alcoholic drinks of some kind, and how many don't.

Most smokers are addicted so if you spend a few hours with them you'll most likely see them smoke, or see them slip away so as to not bother you with the smoke, but you'll smell it on their clothes afterwards. Only the real problem drinker will need to take a nip in that same time frame.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

We go to wine tastings at our local liquor store occasionally .What a hoot ! We have met so many fun people that way .It's $10.00 which includes a wine glass ,lots of wine and food and a $10.00 certificate good on any purchase you make that night .Talk about a good value .
Old 12-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #79

Want2, I was just thinking how weird it was that so many folks said they don't drink!
I was thinking...I don't know anyone who doesn't drink!
I think that is why this particular social circle is not remotely representative of our "normal lives" back home!
Viva la difference! Oh, wait, I just remembered that my sister dated a guy about 10 years ago who didn't drink, but he was a reformed alcoholic and that was why. He drank that near beer stuff instead.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Want2, I was just thinking how weird it was that so many folks said they don't drink!
I was thinking...I don't know anyone who doesn't drink!
I think that is why this particular social circle is not remotely representative of our "normal lives" back home!
Viva la difference! Oh, wait, I just remembered that my sister dated a guy about 10 years ago who didn't drink, but he was a reformed alcoholic and that was why. He drank that near beer stuff instead.
Now that you point it out - - I went back and did a quick count, and looks like maybe about 8% don't drink, 92% do. That's more non-drinkers in this thread than I thought.

Frank and I don't drink because we have each had bad experiences with alcoholics in the past. Plus, he doesn't like the stuff. I do, but not enough to take the risk (bad genes in that regard). Besides, like I said, I'd rather save the calories for corn & crab bisque, chicken parmesan, and fresh French bread with water to drink at one of our favorite restaurants. But that is my choice, and thank goodness we all have our own choices. Like you said, Viva la difference! and laissez les bons temps rouler, in whatever fashion you prefer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote