What's your Poison (Liquor) of Choice these days??

Tequila, I can have in a margarita, but not a dry shot as I do not like its flavor.
Then you have not had truly fine Tequila. You can sip it straight and it never gives you a headache. Just stay away from Jose Quervo...

It is true that I have never had fine Tequila, which I have read can be very expensive. It's just that because I do not enjoy this liquor's flavor, I do not seek out the different brands, and am not willing to pay a lot. Here's an example. I drink whiskey, and though not a connoisseur of it, I can see myself trying an expensive bottle some time. The same with aged rum, for another example.

About headaches and hangovers, I do not drink that much to get drunk anymore (it would take quite a bit). The only, and the first time in my life, I got a monumental hangover was 40 years ago, celebrating New Year with some moonshine, because that was all I could afford.

And by the way, why does that French brandy maker call the captive pear in the bottle a "female prisoner"? Is it supposed to represent Amphictyonis, the Greek goddess of wine? Hmm... Was this goddess a "pear shaped" woman? :)

I thought about it a bit, and concluded that no, it is simply because in French the word "poire" for pear is a feminine noun. Why complicate things? :)

Last edited:
I only drink beer - no wine or hard liquor. I generally drink my own brews unless I'm researching (drinking) commercial beers for a new recipe. I have some of my Christmas ale with honey, cinnamon, and ginger in bottles, and a dark Scottish Ale, and a Brown Ale (tastes a little off) in my kegerator. I'm brewing a red IPA and an oatmeal stout later this week. Should last me all winter.

Jim Beam and pepsi/coke most of the time but wine most often. Single malt scotch if it's a really special event- I like Glenfliddich- my DW likes single malt with as much peat flavor as possible- we've tried a few to track down the elusive dirt/peat!

I only drink beer - no wine or hard liquor. I generally drink my own brews unless I'm researching (drinking) commercial beers for a new recipe. I have some of my Christmas ale with honey, cinnamon, and ginger in bottles, and a dark Scottish Ale, and a Brown Ale (tastes a little off) in my kegerator. I'm brewing a red IPA and an oatmeal stout later this week. Should last me all winter.

Ronstar,
How long will a keg that you've brewed yourself last in your bar kegerator? (I'm speaking of normal life before it spoils, not how long it takes you to consume it.):LOL:

DaveMartin88,
Try Caol Ila, pronounced cull-eela, of the aforementioned Lagavulin 16. Both have an excellent peat nose...Tight

Let's all go to Chicago and help Ronstar with his research!:dance:
Come on over - we're doing some research tomorrow at Ram restaurant and brewery. I need to taste their blonde ale, and if it's great, I'll try to develop the recipe (or coersce it from their employees)

Ronstar,
How long will a keg that you've brewed yourself last in your bar kegerator? (I'm speaking of normal life before it spoils, not how long it takes you to consume it.):LOL:

My kegs are 5 gallon soda kegs. They usually last a minimum of 3 weeks and as long as 3 months before they go dry. I've never had a keg last longer than 3 months. The beer tastes better at 3 months than it does after I first tap it. I think the beer would stay ok for almost a year if I kept it cold in the kegerator on CO2. My bottled beer has still been ok at 9 months.

Originally Posted by tightasadrum
Ronstar,
How long will a keg that you've brewed yourself last in your bar kegerator? (I'm speaking of normal life before it spoils, not how long it takes you to consume it.)
My kegs are 5 gallon soda kegs. They usually last a minimum of 3 weeks and as long as 3 months before they go dry. I've never had a keg last longer than 3 months. The beer tastes better at 3 months than it does after I first tap it. I think the beer would stay ok for almost a year if I kept it cold in the kegerator on CO2. My bottled beer has still been ok at 9 months.

Many of the hoppy American Pale Ales are best fresh. They don't 'spoil', but the hop flavors/aromas can fade pretty fast (a few months). They will still be good, just not at their peak.

Some styles will be just fine at a year or even longer. Some really strong beers need a year to age and mellow out.

Actual spoiling is fairly rare, unless you have some alcohol tolerant and low pH tolerant 'bugs' get in there (lactobacillus is one, and it is all over the malted grain, so it can find its way into the finished product sometimes, and turn it sour).

Oxidation can be a bit more of a problem, but with careful handling when transferring from fermentor to keg, should not be a problem, esp if the beer is kept chilled. Storing beer at warm temps (>80F) for long periods is not good.

-ERD50

That's:
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
1 1/2 oz sour mix
splash of Midori?
My diet plan I'm following recommends green tea. This is probably not what they had in mind, but sounds good.

My wife brews beer and she is good at it. She is an all-grain brewer, so we buy the bags of barley malt and crush the grain ourselves. We also grow a lot of our own hops in the backyard (4 different types now), as we both favor hoppy IPAs and pale ales. I am sipping one of her fine IPAs as we speak :)

We also make wine from a variety of different locally-collected wild fruits (grapes, chokecherries, crabapples, blackberries, etc). I drink a glass of wine or two with dinner every night (I only drink wine with food).

I rarely drink hard liquor, but when I do, it's a good brandy.

Old thread - but will add:

Wines - mainly dry whites - love the Italian Pinot Grigio and Portugese Vino Verde
Was fortunate to buy Champagne in Epernay from a small winery - don't remember name - was awesome - also had a great Alsacienne Sekt (German for sparkling wine) this year

For hard liquor - it's Kahlua in my coffee or tequila in a margarita, rocks, salt

Here in Germany they have their Schnapps - the most amazing wonderfully smelling alcohol that tastes and feels like gasoline going down - it is the worst tease. They do have good hard ciders over here - pear and apple.

However, not withstanding all of the above, I don't drink that much generally - once a month or less.

Here in Germany they have their Schnapps - the most amazing wonderfully smelling alcohol...
... which are the same fruit brandies that the French call eaux de vie, which literally means "water of life", that are also made in the US as I showed in an earlier post...

... that tastes and feels like gasoline going down - it is the worst tease.

Eh, I've always thought they tasted pretty smooth! :LOL:

You want to try something that really tastes like turpentine? I wish I had some of that moonshine I drank in my youth... :p That would make you appreciate "good stuff" more...

Oh well, it shows that there is no [-]poison[/-] drink in this world that is universally liked.

Last edited:
Mmmm...reading these posts makes my mouth water for tequila. Patron is delicious, but my favorite is Don Julio Anejo tequila 1942.

This year has been a tough one in bbbamI land, so I haven't consumed much at all. I prefer not to drink when I'm down. But, things are looking up a bit and I think it's time to go shopping. :)

Attachments

• thumbnail[2].jpg
    thumbnail[2].jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Mmmm...reading these posts makes my mouth water for tequila. Patron is delicious, but my favorite is Don Julio Anejo tequila 1942.

This year has been a tough one in bbbamI land, so I haven't consumed much at all. I prefer not to drink when I'm down. But, things are looking up a bit and I think it's time to go shopping. :)

Thanks....now I have to go buy a bottle of the Don Julio Anejo...I was just looking at some the other day, wondering how it might compare to the Patron Anejo....I sure am easily persuaded!:facepalm:

Thanks....now I have to go buy a bottle of the Don Julio Anejo...I was just looking at some the other day, wondering how it might compare to the Patron Anejo....I sure am easily persuaded!:facepalm:
:D

Oh...don't fret too much darlin'...you can't go wrong either way. :)

Anybody needing a bottle of "Love Potion #9"?

...We also grow a lot of our own hops in the backyard (4 different types now), as we both favor hoppy IPAs and pale ales....

Not growing my own hops yet - I don't think I can find a spot that gets enough sun. Here's a pic of today's brewing escapade - first a red IPA, cleaned up a little, then a batch of oatmeal stout.

brewwagon.jpg

Here's to things looking up! Enjoying a G&T myself. Cheers! :D

Not growing my own hops yet - I don't think I can find a spot that gets enough sun. Here's a pic of today's brewing escapade - first a red IPA, cleaned up a little, then a batch of oatmeal stout.

Seems to me there are more brewers here in this forum than in the general public. I myself do not know anyone who does this.

... my favorite is Don Julio Anejo tequila 1942.
... things are looking up a bit and I think it's time to go shopping. :)

Now, I begin to wonder if I miss something. I guess I will have to give it "another shot."

Perhaps I have to set myself up in the right ambiance while sipping it. Something like this...

Back
Top Bottom