Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember when I was a kid my friend Wally would only drink the cheapest stuff around. Weiderman beer. We used to call him Wally Weiderman.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Tequila cookies are good!

TEQUILA COOKIES
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups of dried fruit, such as dried cranberries or raisins
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila (silver or gold, as desired)

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the frigging fruit off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one tablepoon egg. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher

**** CHERRY MISTMAS ****

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I remember when I was a kid my friend Wally would only drink the cheapest stuff around. Weiderman beer. We used to call him Wally Weiderman.
That reminds me, we used to have "pound parties" referring to Rainier 16oz bottles. I can't remember the price, a case of "pounders" was the best bang for the buck at the time...

Rainier Brewing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

To me, B&B is the nectar of the gods....
Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The George Wiedemann Breing Company, Newport KY. I attribute not a few of my bad habits to having been weaned directly from the breast onto Wiedemann's. Teenage growth was supported mainly by Wiedemann's and pork rinds. Better than champagne and caviar.

IMO, none finer. Hated to see it go.

Ha
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
I love Campari

It's a red Italian liquor that is very bitter. It's an aperitif apparently, but I drink it anytime. Great on its own or with a bit of OJ and lemon juice. I have yet to meet anyone who actually likes this drink as much as me (or likes it at all). Very popular in Italy though.
I am with you. I love Campari and soda. Especialy refreshing in the summertime sitting on a siedwalk cafe.

Other than that I love red wine, especially italian cabs and argentinian malbecs. Duvel is my favorite beer.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by podey View Post
Duvel is my favorite beer.
I love Duvel! I have a Duvel bottle opener keychain, four Duvel beer glasses, and some cold Duvel ready for X-mas.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Frank and I don't drink because we have each had bad experiences with alcoholics in the past. Plus, he doesn't like the stuff. I do, but not enough to take the risk (bad genes in that regard).
If you do NOT like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - don't drink.
If you like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - drink.
If you GREATLY like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - don't drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I don't drink beer or liquor of any kind .
That is a shame. You wake in the morning knowing that is the best you are going to feel all day. (Just kidding.)

My preference is for a good bourbon on the rocks or a good bitters for a brew.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
If you do NOT like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - don't drink.
Last week there was an article in the WSJ about scotch in the $300-$1000 range. The author talked about Laphroaig a "challenging" whisky with a “signature taste of seaweed soaked in iodine” and “phenolic, tarry and medicinal” taste. He then went on to describe how, after much hard work, he learned to like it! The idea of spending $300 or so, and then working hard to like it!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
Last week there was an article in the WSJ about scotch in the $300-$1000 range. The author talked about Laphroaig a "challenging" whisky with a “signature taste of seaweed soaked in iodine” and “phenolic, tarry and medicinal” taste. He then went on to describe how, after much hard work, he learned to like it! The idea of spending $300 or so, and then working hard to like it!
I thought i should be more discriminating in my tastes and that scotch would be an appropriate drink. Bought like 4 different single malts at one time so i could taste test and sure enough i could tell the difference between them - one had a very distinct odor of burning tires. After grinding my way through them (not too bad once i decided that it was ok to make Rusty Nails) i went back to Canadian and Pepsi. I gots no culture. Don't even care for fine cigars.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
At $300 -$1,000 a bottle I would instantly become a "tee-totaler". I prefer good and inexpensive (often difficult to have both). Thankfully I do not have sophisticated taste buds.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #112
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
At $300 -$1,000 a bottle I would instantly become a "tee-totaler".
You can buy a bottle of Coke for a buck and a quarter, and add the other $298.75 - $998.75 to your nestegg.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
That's about my fave Canuck whiskey. A few years ago while on a business trip to Toronto and wondering what to do with my remaining CAD, I happened across a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve in the duty free shop. Amazing stuff.

This 'un's pretty old but I gotta agree, that Crown Royal Reserve's some purty good stuff. Being able to pick it up at the military package store for $30 for a 750 ml isn't too bad either...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Nothing fancy here tonight. A little Old Forester with a splash of coke. I like a tame bourbon and this comes at a reasonable price tag. An early retiree on a budget.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, nothing quite like a nice Charles Shaw Merlot. Perfectly drinkable, and at a reasonable price. :-)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #116

A little coffee flavored Patron.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
A little coffee flavored Patron.

Outside of a margarita at Chili's once, I don't believe I've tried Patron. It's pretty expensive, to me anyway. I saw it on the shelf this evening for $49.50...I believe it was a 750 ml bottle, but not for sure. I did pick up a 1L bottle of Cuervo Gold, and a 750ml of the Crown Royal Reserve. Maybe I'll try the Patron next time...but it will be awhile since a bottle of anything lasts me a good while. I figure the wife & I will have a margarita or two while I'm off work between yesterday and January 3rd. She doesn't drink anything other than a margarita now & then, so we're pretty much set for a little while at least.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Outside of a margarita at Chili's once, I don't believe I've tried Patron. It's pretty expensive, to me anyway. I saw it on the shelf this evening for $49.50...I believe it was a 750 ml bottle, but not for sure. I did pick up a 1L bottle of Cuervo Gold, and a 750ml of the Crown Royal Reserve. Maybe I'll try the Patron next time...but it will be awhile since a bottle of anything lasts me a good while. I figure the wife & I will have a margarita or two while I'm off work between yesterday and January 3rd. She doesn't drink anything other than a margarita now & then, so we're pretty much set for a little while at least.
The Patron is a little expensive but a 750 ml bottle will last me many months and the coffee flavored is so good it's worth it.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #119

I saw the coffee flavored...sounds interesting!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.

My tastes were pretty frugal until I took a trip to Scotland a few years ago and was introduced to the world of single malt scotch. I now tour the country, vicariously, through various single malts. Each area has its tastes. My favorite now is Laugavulin 16. I try to stretch a bottle for about six months. It goes perfectly with a very dark chocolate in front of a fire or while watching your favorite old movie. It's about the only indulgence I allow myself.