Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Seeing how alcohol ruins lives, I follow some rules for drinking:

1. Intentionally drink things I like, no drinking just to get drunk, no shots
2. No more than 2 drinks in an evening
3. Drink at most every other day, ideally more like once a week
4. Always measure
5. Always take the opportunity to try something new

I learned to appreciate sipping small batch and single barrel bourbon in my early 20's, so I could be a manly drinker. I hated beer and didn't want to be the guy ordering appletinis or fruity pink drinks. I found $25-35 for a 750ml bottle is the range where more money stops getting anything better. Knob Creek, Makers, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, etc. - it's all good. I tried a bottle of Wild Turkey kentucky spirit for $50, but it wasn't any better than the cheaper stuff.

I since learned I don't hate beer, I hate the cheap pilsners people in their early 20's drink. Plenty of great beer out there. I have recently been enjoying a beer brewed by New Glarus that tastes like apples! I bought a case of bourbon stout about 2 years ago I am still working through. At 3 drinks worth of alcohol in one $5 bottle of beer, it takes a special reason to break one out.

I also learned that I should have cultivated a taste for single malt scotch, instead of bourbon. While both are manly, Scotch is affluent and manly! When I finally work through the selection of bourbon I have, I plan on going this route. It takes me at least 6 months to consume a 750ml bottle though, so this will be slow going. It's like a 5 year plan for drinking! I do have a book on whisky that will guide me through. I wish the finer drinks came in smaller bottles. It's annoying to spend $50 on something that ends up as mixer.

I have very little experience appreciating wine. My wife doesn't drink, and I have a hard time finishing the 6 drinks in a bottle before it will go bad. I have recently been making a point to at least try the different types, so I have the ability to pick something based on the name. The names are like a secret code that do nothing to convey what is in the bottle. I find that very annoying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Obstler / Eau-de-vie, Williamsbirne, Zwetschgenwasser /Slivovitz

Old 12-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never count how many drinks I have in a week, but guess that it is 10 or less, because there are many days I do not have a beer or a glass of wine.

I drink beer, wine, hard liquor, whatever I happen to think of when I feel like having some. For hard liquor, people here know I am partial to French brandy or Cognac, but I also drink whiskey and gin. Tequila, I can have in a margarita, but not a dry shot as I do not like its flavor.

In a recent RV trip through Idaho, I made a point to visit its wine country. I was happy to discover a distillery there, called Koenig. Bought several bottles of their different fruit brandies for myself and my siblings as gifts. Their huckleberry-flavored vodka is also good; it was explained to me that the sweetness "taste" comes from the smell of the berry, and there is no sugar in this distilled eau de vie. Our senses play trick on us!

The next time my RV takes me through Oregon, I will make sure to visit a pear brandy distillery there. I have a bottle like this in my booze cabinet, but want to support domestic producers.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #124
Administrator

Merry Christmas, all! If you are drinking today (or any day), don't forget to have a designated driver.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Just went out to my cabinet to check. My pear bottle is labeled "La Prisonnière by Jean Danflou" (Prisonnière means a woman prisoner), so it is French, and not German made.

I have had it for many years, and one has to keep the "prisoner" submerged in alcohol all the time. Have been topping it off with another brand of pear brandy (it is less expensive without the captive fruit) but sadly the taste is not the same as the original, which I like better. Should have sought out the same brand for refill, but then I am not a meticulous drinker.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Tequila, I can have in a margarita, but not a dry shot as I do not like its flavor.
Then you have not had truly fine Tequila. You can sip it straight and it never gives you a headache. Just stay away from Jose Quervo...
Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

It is true that I have never had fine Tequila, which I have read can be very expensive. It's just that because I do not enjoy this liquor's flavor, I do not seek out the different brands, and am not willing to pay a lot. Here's an example. I drink whiskey, and though not a connoisseur of it, I can see myself trying an expensive bottle some time. The same with aged rum, for another example.

About headaches and hangovers, I do not drink that much to get drunk anymore (it would take quite a bit). The only, and the first time in my life, I got a monumental hangover was 40 years ago, celebrating New Year with some moonshine, because that was all I could afford.

And by the way, why does that French brandy maker call the captive pear in the bottle a "female prisoner"? Is it supposed to represent Amphictyonis, the Greek goddess of wine? Hmm... Was this goddess a "pear shaped" woman? :-)

I thought about it a bit, and concluded that no, it is simply because in French the word "poire" for pear is a feminine noun. Why complicate things? :-)
Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Then you have not had truly fine Tequila. You can sip it straight and it never gives you a headache. Just stay away from Jose Quervo...
+1
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #129

I only drink beer - no wine or hard liquor. I generally drink my own brews unless I'm researching (drinking) commercial beers for a new recipe. I have some of my Christmas ale with honey, cinnamon, and ginger in bottles, and a dark Scottish Ale, and a Brown Ale (tastes a little off) in my kegerator. I'm brewing a red IPA and an oatmeal stout later this week. Should last me all winter.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jim Beam and pepsi/coke most of the time but wine most often. Single malt scotch if it's a really special event- I like Glenfliddich- my DW likes single malt with as much peat flavor as possible- we've tried a few to track down the elusive dirt/peat!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Let's all go to Chicago and help Ronstar with his research!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #132

Southern Comfort with Coke or with orange juice or with lemon-lime soda.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I only drink beer - no wine or hard liquor. I generally drink my own brews unless I'm researching (drinking) commercial beers for a new recipe. I have some of my Christmas ale with honey, cinnamon, and ginger in bottles, and a dark Scottish Ale, and a Brown Ale (tastes a little off) in my kegerator. I'm brewing a red IPA and an oatmeal stout later this week. Should last me all winter.
Ronstar,
How long will a keg that you've brewed yourself last in your bar kegerator? (I'm speaking of normal life before it spoils, not how long it takes you to consume it.)
Old 12-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #134

DaveMartin88,
Try Caol Ila, pronounced cull-eela, of the aforementioned Lagavulin 16. Both have an excellent peat nose...Tight
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Let's all go to Chicago and help Ronstar with his research!
Come on over - we're doing some research tomorrow at Ram restaurant and brewery. I need to taste their blonde ale, and if it's great, I'll try to develop the recipe (or coersce it from their employees)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Ronstar,
How long will a keg that you've brewed yourself last in your bar kegerator? (I'm speaking of normal life before it spoils, not how long it takes you to consume it.)
My kegs are 5 gallon soda kegs. They usually last a minimum of 3 weeks and as long as 3 months before they go dry. I've never had a keg last longer than 3 months. The beer tastes better at 3 months than it does after I first tap it. I think the beer would stay ok for almost a year if I kept it cold in the kegerator on CO2. My bottled beer has still been ok at 9 months.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum
Ronstar,
My kegs are 5 gallon soda kegs. They usually last a minimum of 3 weeks and as long as 3 months before they go dry. I've never had a keg last longer than 3 months. The beer tastes better at 3 months than it does after I first tap it. I think the beer would stay ok for almost a year if I kept it cold in the kegerator on CO2. My bottled beer has still been ok at 9 months.
Many of the hoppy American Pale Ales are best fresh. They don't 'spoil', but the hop flavors/aromas can fade pretty fast (a few months). They will still be good, just not at their peak.

Some styles will be just fine at a year or even longer. Some really strong beers need a year to age and mellow out.

Actual spoiling is fairly rare, unless you have some alcohol tolerant and low pH tolerant 'bugs' get in there (lactobacillus is one, and it is all over the malted grain, so it can find its way into the finished product sometimes, and turn it sour).

Oxidation can be a bit more of a problem, but with careful handling when transferring from fermentor to keg, should not be a problem, esp if the beer is kept chilled. Storing beer at warm temps (>80F) for long periods is not good.

-ERD50
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #137
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
That's:
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
1 1/2 oz sour mix
splash of Midori?
My diet plan I'm following recommends green tea. This is probably not what they had in mind, but sounds good.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #138

My wife brews beer and she is good at it. She is an all-grain brewer, so we buy the bags of barley malt and crush the grain ourselves. We also grow a lot of our own hops in the backyard (4 different types now), as we both favor hoppy IPAs and pale ales. I am sipping one of her fine IPAs as we speak

We also make wine from a variety of different locally-collected wild fruits (grapes, chokecherries, crabapples, blackberries, etc). I drink a glass of wine or two with dinner every night (I only drink wine with food).

I rarely drink hard liquor, but when I do, it's a good brandy.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #139

Old thread - but will add:

Wines - mainly dry whites - love the Italian Pinot Grigio and Portugese Vino Verde
Was fortunate to buy Champagne in Epernay from a small winery - don't remember name - was awesome - also had a great Alsacienne Sekt (German for sparkling wine) this year

For hard liquor - it's Kahlua in my coffee or tequila in a margarita, rocks, salt

Here in Germany they have their Schnapps - the most amazing wonderfully smelling alcohol that tastes and feels like gasoline going down - it is the worst tease. They do have good hard ciders over here - pear and apple.

However, not withstanding all of the above, I don't drink that much generally - once a month or less.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Here in Germany they have their Schnapps - the most amazing wonderfully smelling alcohol...
... which are the same fruit brandies that the French call eaux de vie, which literally means "water of life", that are also made in the US as I showed in an earlier post...

Quote:
... that tastes and feels like gasoline going down - it is the worst tease.
Eh, I've always thought they tasted pretty smooth!

You want to try something that really tastes like turpentine? I wish I had some of that moonshine I drank in my youth... That would make you appreciate "good stuff" more...

Oh well, it shows that there is no poison drink in this world that is universally liked.