Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mmmm...reading these posts makes my mouth water for tequila. Patron is delicious, but my favorite is Don Julio Anejo tequila 1942.

This year has been a tough one in bbbamI land, so I haven't consumed much at all. I prefer not to drink when I'm down. But, things are looking up a bit and I think it's time to go shopping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail[2].jpg (1.9 KB, 179 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Mmmm...reading these posts makes my mouth water for tequila. Patron is delicious, but my favorite is Don Julio Anejo tequila 1942.

This year has been a tough one in bbbamI land, so I haven't consumed much at all. I prefer not to drink when I'm down. But, things are looking up a bit and I think it's time to go shopping.

Thanks....now I have to go buy a bottle of the Don Julio Anejo...I was just looking at some the other day, wondering how it might compare to the Patron Anejo....I sure am easily persuaded!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Thanks....now I have to go buy a bottle of the Don Julio Anejo...I was just looking at some the other day, wondering how it might compare to the Patron Anejo....I sure am easily persuaded!

Oh...don't fret too much darlin'...you can't go wrong either way.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Anybody needing a bottle of "Love Potion #9"?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

a good cold glass of well water
Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
...We also grow a lot of our own hops in the backyard (4 different types now), as we both favor hoppy IPAs and pale ales....
Not growing my own hops yet - I don't think I can find a spot that gets enough sun. Here's a pic of today's brewing escapade - first a red IPA, cleaned up a little, then a batch of oatmeal stout.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Jack Daniels on the rocks.

Ha
+1 or sometimes 2
Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #148

Quote:
Here's to things looking up! Enjoying a G&T myself. Cheers!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Here's to things looking up! Enjoying a G&T myself. Cheers!
Cheers Sistah!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Not growing my own hops yet - I don't think I can find a spot that gets enough sun. Here's a pic of today's brewing escapade - first a red IPA, cleaned up a little, then a batch of oatmeal stout.
Seems to me there are more brewers here in this forum than in the general public. I myself do not know anyone who does this.

Quote:
... my favorite is Don Julio Anejo tequila 1942.
... things are looking up a bit and I think it's time to go shopping.
Now, I begin to wonder if I miss something. I guess I will have to give it "another shot."

Perhaps I have to set myself up in the right ambiance while sipping it. Something like this...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Perhaps I have to set myself up in the right ambiance while sipping it. Something like this...

Excellent tune!

Ahhhh...you know, it's a shame you don't care to dance. But then again, you might spill a few drops of tequila...and that would be a shame.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

I just have to bump this thread to let everyone know that I have found another US distillery making eau de vie (for people who don't think it tastes like gasoline).

It's St. George Spirits in Alameda, near San Francisco. The next time I am in the area, I will check them out. They even make absinthe!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Having worked my way through college as a gas jockey, I had at least one memorable occasion to recover gas from a vehicle whose wise ass driver said give me 2 and then refused to fork over the $2. The Amoco high test tasted nowhere as good as Jelinek.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #154

I've really taken to Pisco (technically grape brandy), after our trip to Peru. Hard to find Peruvian here in the US, as the Chilean distribution seems a lot better, but I have talked the local Total Wine into carrying Barso. You should try my Pisco Sours!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Summer: Tanqueray and tonic

After dinner: Bailey's Irish cream on the rocks

Another weakness: Bomba Sapphire

Others: Goldschlager, Jaggermeister, Frangelico, Dr. McGillicuddy's

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #156

White wine, often gesprizt (so I can have more with less alcohol). Orvieto or Gruner Veltliner. Is it that time yet??
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #157

Poured a homebrew for myself and saw this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Not growing my own hops yet - I don't think I can find a spot t hat gets enough sun. Here's a pic of today's brewing escapade - first a red IPA, cleaned up a little, then a batch of oatmeal stout.
Nice setup! Mine is all gravity, but I can make 8 gallons (into the primary), if I stay close at hot brake, hehe. I'll let someone else grow the hops and cultivate the yeast...best left to the pros.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I looked up Jelinek. It's a distillery in the Czech Republic. They make fruit brandies, vodka, and also a gin, but a Web site says that their flagship product is Slivovitz, a plum brandy.

I did not know about Pisco, but wonder how different it is from the usual brandy, other than Pisco is clear and not aged in casks. Definitely something for me to look for and to try.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not know about Pisco, but wonder how different it is from the usual brandy, other than Pisco is clear and not aged in casks. Definitely something for me to look for and to try.
It is a grape brandy. I don't know anything about other brandies, am a beer drinker, myself. It was very tasty in the Pisco Sours and I drank far too much of it straight in shooters, but it didn't give the piercing headache of other liquors I've had similar doses.

We also, thanks to the charming Brits in the group,were introduced to shandies, which were a welcome excuse to drink beer rather early in the hot Peruvian afternoons. Take a reasonably light beer, add anything from a splash to about half/half mixed with Sprite. Refreshing and helps keep your wits about you when you plan on hanging about with the Irish for the rest of the day and need to pace your drinking!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #160

Pisco is to brandy what Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine. It does satisfy a need and goes to show the power of lemon. Not knocking it, I've had my share and then some. Anything distilled + lemon + tropical climate + ice = goodness. Beer and soft drink of choice, mixed half and half, will let you drink all afternoon. Drinking in the tropics is not easy, and requires lots of practice. All that heat.

Rum and Cachaça are the tropical drinks of choice.

Edit to add: good Pisco is far preferable to bad rum or Cachaça any day...especially with lime (they call it lemon) and crushed ice. And when your SO is nearby, it can be magical...