Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you pay attention to the posts here at this forum, you will see that most do not really hate their jobs but their work environment. There are so many threads here about workers at all different grades becoming disgusted with corporate slogans and dumb policies. I surely hope CEOs and HR executives learn from this.

Ah, forget it. Dilbert's cartoons are so well known, yet when bosses read that, they always think the pointy haired guys are the bosses above them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

My only motivation for working was money. I actually liked my job up until the last couple of years. They laid off a lot of people and I ended up with 2 people's workload. Even that might have been tolerable if my manager had acknowledged or appreciated it. Instead, she gave me a just average annual review. It eliminated any possibility of promotion - and didn't even mention the workload. It was the lowest review I ever got.

So the last 2 years were not good. They got 2 weeks notice from me, no more.

The only satisfaction I got at the end was to talk to another manager who I knew well, and tell her what had been going on. She was appalled by some of the information I gave her - it was gratifying to see.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm content as it passes time with fair vacation time and pay. I was a boss until last year, then moved to a project management role. I enjoy the limited babysitting time now.

Employers have been using the rough times to treat employees poorly. Once things improve, many employees will not tolerate such treatment. A little respect goes a long way MegaCorp.

Now, I just need something to entertain me for 10 - 12 years. If the market is good (8-9% returns) for the next 8 years, I'll pull the plug, perhaps a career change to get out of the house on a semi-full time basis.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NW-Perhaps but I suspect in today's complex work environment it is very difficult to separate one's "job" from the environment i which it is performed. In my case most of my job was relating and communicating with other execs, subordinates, etc. Certainly well paid jobs usually have a very high communication/interaction component to them.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
NW-Perhaps but I suspect in today's complex work environment it is very difficult to separate one's "job" from the environment i which it is performed. In my case most of my job was relating and communicating with other execs, subordinates, etc. Certainly well paid jobs usually have a very high communication/interaction component to them.
Totally agree. It's all about relationships. Organizational culture is very powerful. It's great if you can shape it.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Talk about toxic work environment, we have had many threads on this in the past.

Personally, I think the corporate culture slowly evolved until it got to this point where there is so much time and effort spent on generating slogans and BS. I am not that old, but I still remember the early 80s. We did not have as many meetings, not all kinds of non-sense corporate communications via the intranet and initiatives this and that. We all spent our efforts on technical aspects of the job, to build a better and cheaper product than our competition.

This was at a major aerospace company, where management up to the president of the local division all had engineering background. Now, it is the bean counters and the politicians who run the show. Their communication is choked full with buzzwords and gobbledygook it is not funny anymore. I heard from former coworkers who are still back there, buying their time to get to retirement. More than 10 years ago, they already had the position of "VP of Diversity". Good grief! I understand that racism and sexism have no place in the workplace, and in fact anywhere in this country, but when the overhead cost gets to 40%, don't they stop to think that they have gone too far?

Just look at Dilbert cartoon. The emperor has no clothes. All levels of management know it. No one dares say anything. Everyone must march to the same drum beat. I liken this to the way the Communists used to run their factories. They were so busy discussing productivity enhancement methods that they did not have enough time to actually produce. My wife was a manager at a large financial company (one of the Dow 30). She could not take it any more and had to quit!

I never wanted to join management rank, and decided to try the technical ladder, whose members were supposed to be doing purely technical work. Still did not work. There was no way to escape politics, and I decided to venture out on my own. This was 15 years ago. I am still doing strictly technical work, and still enjoying it.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Talk about toxic work environment, we have had many threads on this in the past.
Personally, I think the corporate culture slowly evolved until it got to this point where there is so much time and effort spent on generating slogans and BS. I am not that old, but I still remember the early 80s. We did not have as many meetings, not all kinds of non-sense corporate communications via the intranet and initiatives this and that. We all spent our efforts on technical aspects of the job, to build a better and cheaper product than our competition.
From reading history and seeing old motivational posters, I suspect the pendulum has been swinging since people left the farms to work in the cities at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

But, hey, at least now that I'm out of the military I don't have to start the morning with a group workout anymore.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motivation, poll, work