Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Possibly best concert was Robin Trower at the Houston Coliseum(?). Most recent concert was NRBQ (New Rhythm and Blues Quartet) but I saw them on TV, not live. They have a nice "sound". I had heard "of" them before, but never actually heard one of their songs until the TV concert.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Last big name concert was Santana and Rod Stewart. Free tickets.
Carlos was fantastic. He can still play with the best. Also, smart enough to give the vocals to the band ( his son, I think).

Rod Stewart was a bomb. Voice was shot and he even apologized.

Most of the time we see local cover bands. 4 and 20 is a local tribute band playing CSN&Y. Vocals by Scott Nienhaus are probably better than the real band. Well, maybe.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #23

This summer:
Roger Waters
Journey w/Asia opening
Matchbox 20 w/Counting Crows opening

Roger Waters was the best show I've been to. Amazing production, possibly better than The Wall. Not a good show for Trump fans tho.

Journey was also REALLY good. Would see again.

Matchbox 20 put on a good show, as did Counting Crows. But not at the same level as the other two.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My first concert was Kiss and their opening act was AC/DC. It was in Louisville, KY and the tickets were $14.50.

My most recent concert was Charli XCX at the 9:30 Club in Washington D.C.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #25

Diana Krall at the Brit in Jacksonville, Oregon. Amazing, wonderful concert in an incredibly beautiful open air venue. She's quite a performer and must have liked the vibes because she was kind to give us encore after encore. Magical.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My condo neighbors on the coast offered a free ticket to the Dave Matthews Band. I tagged along and I have to admit.....not really my cup of tea. They had a lot of good musicians and the first 20-30 minutes was pretty good, but sounded like the same old stuff over and over to me. Glad a beer cart was nearby.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So far this summer we've seen Sheryl Crow / Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real (Wilie Nelson's son, very enjoyable show), OneRepublic / Fitz & The Tantrums / James Arthur (another excellent show) Stephen Stills and Judy Collins (you need to be a fan), The Temptations / The Beach Boys (not a fan, free tickets, fans seemed to enjoy). Next up is Santana, then Stevie Nicks, then National Youth Orchestra of Venezuela with Gustavo Dudamel.
We saw Sheryl Crow as well assuming these are at Ravina?
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #28

Just saw Ted Nugent excellent concert and Ted well he's just Ted.....
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Billy Dean in Branson at the Jim Stafford theater. 3rd row center. He even announced our anniversary during the concert. DW was thrilled! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbaCrush View Post
My first concert was Kiss and their opening act was AC/DC. It was in Louisville, KY and the tickets were $14.50.
If we are talking first concerts: Watkins Glen, July, 1973. Weekend ticket - $10 (I did actually buy one in advance). I just graduated High School and my older cousin and wife invited me to tag along. We drove in from the Boston area overnight and camped. Turned out we were just over the hill from the stage.

I can't say I remember a whole lot. Kinda like the saying: "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't there".
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Katrina and the Waves opened for Don Henley at the Jones Beach theater in August of 1985. The one and only concert I ever attended.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #32

Most recent big name was Van Halen (with DLR not Sammy). I'll go to a big name concert if people I want to hang with are going, but I'm not going to instigate going unless it's at a small venue. I think I'm done with the huge-venue cattle-drive...it's just not worth it. The last big (ish) name at a small venue was Jethro Tull. That was chill. Parked a few blocks away in our little downtown, no lines, no crowds. Treated respectfully by the venue staff. Walked to the supposed 'after party' bar afterward, but didn't see anybody from the band. But when I saw them in Fort Worth, the after party rocked with the whole band, except Ian.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #33

Roger Waters, Rod Stewart, and Van Morrison. We have tickets to Magpie Salute (Black Crows), and we are considering Bryan Adams and Donald Fagan. Billy Joel and Aretha Franklin were almosts.

Roger Waters show was incredible, but as Kiem posted, not if you're a Trump supporter. Rod Stewart was great, and did not seem to have voice issues that CardsFan mentioned. Van Morrison was awesome as well. The older bands seem to insist on a great show, and they know how to entertain. Plus, they seem to be sober now for the most part.

After ER, we have the money, time, and we don't have to work the next day. So concerts are now more frequent. We will also travel as needed, so planning a trip around a good show is always an option life is good.
48Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #34

Last concert was a free in the park blues concert - neighbor across the street was the vocalist... (She's amazing - SAHM by day - but plays various blues/jazz clubs a few times a week at night.)

Last paid for concert was Elvis Costello.

Right before that saw a musical that might as well have been a concert - "Escape to Margaritaville" (All Jimmy Buffet songs - live band, cast had great voices.)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Going to see U2 for the third time next month. They are always fantastic!

Back in 1988 I saw Neil Diamond as a favor for a friend and I thought he was an old guy then. Sooo... he is still touring 29 years after that concert.

Saw Rod Stewart 7 times as a teen but have not seen him lately. When I saw him guesting on "Idol" it was quite a shock to see him as such an old man.

When I was a teen (late 70's) saw all the big names Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire and tickets were around $7.50. Now shelling out $200 per ticket for just OK seats, talk about inflation!
doxiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Katrina and the Waves opened for Don Henley at the Jones Beach theater in August of 1985. The one and only concert I ever attended.
Saw the same line up ca. 1985 at Indy. I loved that Katrina and the Waves set up like a garage band on an otherwise empty stage. Great music with no pretense, light show, glitter, glam, BS.

I recall watching an interview with Jimmy Buffet where he was proud of the fact that his band only required 4 semi loads of equipment (instead of a more typical 20 loads.) Katrina could have moved herself, the band and the instruments in an 18 passenger van. I'm guessing she just plugged into the amps/speakers that were there for Henley. Not saying there isn't a place for "gee-whiz" bands with all the trimmings. Just saying a band can "just play" and still be impressive. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #37

So far this year, Chicago, Lifehouse, The Moody Blues (twice), and the Happy Together Tour, also twice--because of The Cowsills.

I was 13 and partway through 7th grade when my dad moved us from a small town in Southern Illinois out to SoCal. I told my friends there in IL that I was going to California and I was gonna meet the Cowsills.

It took me longer than I'd anticipated, :-) but I made it.

The woman who took this photo was one of those IL friends.
She came out from Georgia last year and this year and she took photos each year. It's been special.

Next up, The Beach Boys--with John Cowsill as their drummer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4850.JPG (109.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Our kids gave DW tix to an August show for the Goo Goo Dolls for her birthday, and we're going to see one of our favorites, Chris Isaac, soon. Saw Jim Messina
(Loggins and Messina, Poco) last month.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #39

Almost most recent is the show we're going to tomorrow - Goo Goo Dolls with Phillip Phillips. Small outdoor venue that I really like going to so hoping for a great show.

Most recent past concert was Norah Jones. Pretty good, but could have been better.

One of my favorites was when Sting and Paul Simon toured together. They did their own songs, sang duets and sang each other's songs. Was great to hear Sting sing America.

https://youtu.be/g79URGpXNiQ
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #40

Not quite recent, but caught Cheap Trick and Dr. John earlier this year.

Dr. John put on a good show, glad to catch him. Apparently better than some of his recent outings.

Had last seen Cheap Trick in August 1979. Coincidentally similar circumstances - randy GF, adult beverages. Both GFs had a good time and the band kicked it both times.