Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You're probably right.

I just never have anything very urgent to communicate that can't be done with a friendly phone call. If it isn't important enough for a phone call, then it can wait or else I can send an e-mail.

If somebody sent me a text, I don't know what I would do with it. I don't even know how to respond. That would be so stressful. But, nobody sends me texts so that is not an issue.

Well, if you call me, Mario and Luigi will announce it and kick out a wall or two

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

For calls not in my contact list - silence (I made a ringtone that is 10 seconds of no sound at all
For friends/family - London Calling
For my wife - We are the Knights who Say Ni - wanted something very distinctive

Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a salsa dancer. My ringtone is "Es Solo Musica" by Mamborama. Long ago I downloaded a free audio editing software program and edited the portion of the song I wanted for my ringtone and then converted it to the ringtone format. It's much easier to to that today in Garageband.

I always text. I hardly ever speak on the phone. I was never one to talk much on the phone so texting is just about the same thing to me.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #24

Wow, if I could get my dad to text, it would be wonderful. He can't hear very well, so phone calls are shouting matches.

nuke, I had one for a while, for my cousin, that was the "Message for your Sir" one. Hilarious.

I also have different tones for texts from different people, which is nice for when I'm texting multiple people at the same time. I can feel W2R rolling her eyes all the way over here, lol.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
For calls not in my contact list - silence (I made a ringtone that is 10 seconds of no sound at all
For friends/family - London Calling
For my wife - We are the Knights who Say Ni - wanted something very distinctive
That's a great idea! But I don't see an easy way to do this with Android, at least not without going to each contact and setting a custom ring tone. Ideally there would be a setting to say that all contacts get one ringtone, and non-contacts get a different one, but I'm not seeing how I could do that.
I know I could go into each contact and set a custom one, but that's a lot of work, and I'd have to remember to do that for new contacts as I add them to avoid the silent default ring. Am I missing a way to do this?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The ringtone from Our Man Flint.

I also wanted the theme from Red Dwarf, but it needs editing that I don't know how to do.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

For DW it's Ernest Tubb's "Waltz Across Texas"
For daughters, it's Frank Sinatra "You Make Me Feel So Young"
Everyone else gets the "Dies Irae" from the Verdi Requiem

When I was w*rking, fellow employees got "All We Like Sheep" from Handel's Messiah

Like many of you, I hardly ever talk on the phone.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's a great idea! But I don't see an easy way to do this with Android, at least not without going to each contact and setting a custom ring tone. Ideally there would be a setting to say that all contacts get one ringtone, and non-contacts get a different one, but I'm not seeing how I could do that.
I know I could go into each contact and set a custom one, but that's a lot of work, and I'd have to remember to do that for new contacts as I add them to avoid the silent default ring. Am I missing a way to do this?
I think I found it, will just have to test it out. I went to Groups in contacts, and pressed and held My Contacts, and selected Edit Group. In there I could set the contact for this group. Presumably whatever I set the default ring tone to will be what I hear for non-contacts, contacts will hear what I have in that group, and I can do individual ring tones as I please.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wow, if I could get my dad to text, it would be wonderful. He can't hear very well, so phone calls are shouting matches.

nuke, I had one for a while, for my cousin, that was the "Message for your Sir" one. Hilarious.

I also have different tones for texts from different people, which is nice for when I'm texting multiple people at the same time. I can feel W2R rolling her eyes all the way over here, lol.
This old dad texts all the time. I find it easier than trying to use e-mail on the phone and most family members don't answer the phone anymore!

With my new Moto G and Android Kit-Kat 4.4, voice to text is what I use a lot anymore. Simple, no hands word formation.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Actor Steve Buscemi saying "Phone's ringing, Dude" from The Big Lebowski. Downloaded for free.
Like W2R, I don't text. Those who know me, and who might be inclined to send a text, don't bother since they know they won't get an answer.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

What's your ringtone?

I have one ringtone for everyone, and that's whatever the default is on the iPhone. But my phone is almost always in silent mode anyways, unless I am expecting an important call.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #32

I also have one ring tone for everyone "Rock Star" which was a pre-programmed selection on my mobile phone. It is loud and obnoxious but I can hear it well, even when buried in my purse on the other side of the house.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #33

"Albert's Shuffle" from the "Super Sessions" album.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Totally silent. No vibration, no noise. Makes it easier to disregard phone calls in general. The voicemail goes straight to email so I'll see it pretty quick.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #35

I thought it was pretty funny when people's ringtones would go off at work at a meeting. You never knew what they were. For me, it'd be Austin Powers, I'd look up and say, "Groovy, baby"

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Mine is a National Geographic recording of a pine squirrel call. Very distinctive and shrill enough that I notice it when it rings. Can be a bit confusing if I forget to shut off the phone when I am in the woods and someone manages to catch a signal to call me...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Not sure about Android but I have the ability to cheat since I have recording software. To make a no sound ringtone I simply recorded nothing (no mic plugged in). There are ways to do this with Audacity a free recording software. You can load MP3 into Audacity, chop them according to what you want (you don't want a 3 min ringtone ) and save then convert them to whatever format your phone needs for ringtones m4r I think). You can get more information if you want by googling it (how to convert an MP3 to a ringtone would work)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is the Android "phone ring".

Canucks may appreciate this, doubt USaians will understand. DB is a Tom Connors fan. He is also a tech illiterate. One of his kids made "Bud the Spud" his ring tone some years ago when he got a cell phone. About 18 months ago, he was at my place and his cell rang. The ring-tone tone was somebody's version of "Peace in the Valley".
Old 11-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #39

basic - reveille
DW - theme from Patton
Daughter - close encounters
Son - Marine Hymn
Grand Daughter - Say What
Breaking Glass, and sever more
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mine is just the one that sounds like an old fashioned phone.
Me, too. And it's the same ring no matter who calls.
Funny-cute ringtone: Cute the first time, maybe not time number 1000. And anything "cute" is gonna seem like flatulance in church if it goes off--in church, in a meeting, when talking with a friend about their recently deceased pet, etc.

samclem (curmudgeon ringtone: ON)