Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #41
Administrator

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im tempted to get a weeee Wii

Except with this doomsday market. I need to watch my expenses or buy an annuity..

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My BMI was nothing to be proud of. Want to be my exercise buddy? Interestingly I am still feeling a 'high' from the workout.

It took me a while to figure out the first series of 'games' but maybe that is because I left my 65th birthday LONG in the dust.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #44
Administrator

I'm no youngster either! But, I haven't ordered the Wii Fit software yet, because (being ridiculously skeptical) I wanted to see if I actually got the Wii from this company as promised before ordering anything else from them. Even though I don't live in Missouri yet, they've got to "Show Me".

According to UPS, my Wii arrived in my hometown at 3 this morning and is out on a delivery truck being delivered as I type. So, I probably had no reason to be so skeptical.

Meanwhile, I bought the "Dance, Dance Revolution!" software from my local Best Buy, and that should at least get me moving until I get around to ordering Wii Fit.

My daughter got Wii Fit about a month ago, and she said it was a serious work-out for her. Good luck with it and let us all know the pros and cons! I can hardly wait to get it and get started. I have had an food journaling and exercise buddy online for the past four or five years named Mel (Melody). She is doing "Curves" right now, though she used to go to a really high powered spinning class. If Wii Fit works for me, maybe Mel will buy it too since she seems to have a lot more discretionary income than I do! I am just really hoping it will give me a good workout on stormy days since I hate driving to and from the gym in foul weather.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im tempted to get a weeee Wii

Except with this doomsday market. I need to watch my expenses or buy an annuity..
I noticed that there is a Big Game Hunting program for the Wii. So if you are married to a gun enthusiast, you could make the Wii and the hunting program a gift for your spouse (and then buy yourself the Wii Fit software later).

Frank and I don't live together though, and I want the Wii for myself so I can't do that (though I might buy him the hunting program anyway, to use when he is over at my place). The way I justify buying the Wii for myself is that IF it works, I wouldn't have to pay gym fees any more. Of course, that is a daydream but there you go.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hunting games exist on XBOX as well: Halo and Call of Duty.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...The way I justify buying the Wii for myself is that IF it works, I wouldn't have to pay gym fees any more. Of course, that is a daydream but there you go.
That is what my husband asked me. I told him that I haven't made that decision.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I noticed that there is a Big Game Hunting program for the Wii. So if you are married to a gun enthusiast, you could make the Wii and the hunting program a gift for your spouse (and then buy yourself the Wii Fit software later).
One of the first games I picked up for my Wii, was Resident Evil IV.

Yeah, it's a little gruesome - lot's of creatures, lot's of guns/weapons, lot's of blood. Given the mutant/monster theme, it's not something I find particularly offensive, but it's not the first game I'd pop in if I had kids. But for folks who like shooting things, it's a blast.

Unlike the crazy stuff kids play these days, it's simple enough for occasional players to figure out quickly, with ever increasing skill required to progress. Good strategy becomes imperative the farther you get with it - being good on the trigger, and having the right weapon isn't enough. Very, very addicting...makes good use of the unique Wii controllers as well.

Another option I'd highly recommend - a charge station. There are a few out there now, but I've got the Nyko - Amazon link here. While alkalines in the stock controllers last quite a while, converting to rechargeables is cheap and avoids the battery swap hassle.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #49

Must be something in the water as I'm not a gamer either, but I've wanted a Wii ever since they first came out! And this weekend, I finally was able to snag the console (not a bundle) at the $249 price after getting an alert from the WiiAlert site: Wii Alerts - The only site you need to find a Wii or Any Product. And it's free!

It should be here, according to the UPS tracking number, by Thursday. I guess I better all my chores done before then because I will probably be bowling and playing whatever else comes with it. Next, I want the Wii Fit......
Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #50
Administrator

I got mine this afternoon, and it was amazingly easy to set up. Three steps and you're ready to go. It took five minutes to remove all the packing and twist ties, but only a minute or two to set it up. I bowled and played baseball in Wii Sports and had a ball.

After I rest for a while, I may try something else this evening. I bought Dance, Dance, Revolution (for fitness), Zelda (because I love RPG's), and Mario Galaxy (in case I want to feel like a kid). Eventually I will order Wii Fit, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #51

WoW they have Zelda for it! Ive done the Wii sports. I watched my cousin's oldest child play Guitar Hero . My fingers cant move that fast I might just have to break down..
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Nag View Post
One of the first games I picked up for my Wii, was Resident Evil IV.

Yeah, it's a little gruesome - lot's of creatures, lot's of guns/weapons, lot's of blood. Given the mutant/monster theme, it's not something I find particularly offensive, but it's not the first game I'd pop in if I had kids. But for folks who like shooting things, it's a blast.

Unlike the crazy stuff kids play these days, it's simple enough for occasional players to figure out quickly, with ever increasing skill required to progress. Good strategy becomes imperative the farther you get with it - being good on the trigger, and having the right weapon isn't enough. Very, very addicting...makes good use of the unique Wii controllers as well.

Another option I'd highly recommend - a charge station. There are a few out there now, but I've got the Nyko - Amazon link here. While alkalines in the stock controllers last quite a while, converting to rechargeables is cheap and avoids the battery swap hassle.
Thanks for the tips! I am definitely thinking of getting a charge station. Not only would it charge my controllers, but also it would give me a definite place to put my controller so it won't get lost.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
WoW they have Zelda for it! Ive done the Wii sports. I watched my cousin's oldest child play Guitar Hero . My fingers cant move that fast I might just have to break down..
Yes, they do have Zelda! I am going to play it next. It is supposed to be really good. I don't think I could do Guitar Hero either, but you never know. Right now I am just proud that I am no longer throwing gutter balls in the bowling game.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

With so many people having a Wii around here we should exchange IP addresses and play against each others!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #55

Just got the Wii in time for the DW's birthday. Got it from Best Buy for list plus shipping. DW loves it. We got an additional controller and Zelda.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay, this thread has made me really want a Wii. Maybe that'll be our big Christmas gift this year....

Of course, maybe I won't wait. I mean, we got a dog just after the "Life of a Dog" thread was posted, so maybe a Wii will come into our future before then. (Of course, once Spore comes out, we won't have time to play a Wii).

Please, please, pleaase, nobody start a "What mega-yacht?" or "I'm jonesing for a string of polo ponies" or "Sweeeet! A ceiling-mounted home theatre system" thread -- it seems I'm susceptible to the blatant advertising put forth by my fellow LBYM, FIRE-wannabes. Who knew this forum would be such a hotbed of frivolous consumption?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Our Wii saw heavy usage the first six months, but now that both kids are fully mobile, I get to play mebe 30 minutes once a week if I'm not too tired at night. Still a ton of fun.

I too bought it at Target with no problem, half a dozen on the shelf for $250.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #58
Administrator

I wish I had more time to play it! Time really flies, especially when I am playing Zelda. I have explored, gone swimming, ridden my horse and jumped fences while riding, climbed trees, tamed an eagle, and rounded up a herd of goats. Just barely beginning but such a great escape.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Of course, maybe I won't wait. I mean, we got a dog just after the "Life of a Dog" thread was posted, so maybe a Wii will come into our future before then.
Sounds like you better hope another one of those colonoscopy threads doesnt come around again...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Tamed and Eagle Tell me more. Ours have flown off for better feeding areas for a couple months. Before they left the adults had a couple arguments with their adolescents.