Join Early Retirement Today

When and How to Preserve New Pressure Treated Deck
Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When and How to Preserve New Pressure Treated Deck

I just finished redecking an 800 sq.ft. deck with pressure treated lumber.

Researching on the net provides me with a bunch of conflicting information, some of which may have been more appropriate before they changed the formula for the preservative, due to environmental concerns.

The wood was pretty "wet" with preservative when we laid it down. There seems to be a conflict between letting the wood dry some, but not too much.

Anyone out there have expertise on this matter? I'd appreciate some knowledgable advice.

Thanks
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd appreciate some knowledgable advice.
When it comes to pressure treated decking, I'm not sure that exists.

I replaced our 750 SF deck last year. Like you, I found no consistent information on what, if anything, to use to extend the life of pressure treated wood. I came to the conclusion there is really nothing on the market you can apply that has proven to be effective, so I did nothing.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What I researched and was also told (no expert), that you are supposed to let the pressure treated wood dry out a couple months...That is what I did. My deck was installed when house was built for me 13 years ago. I clean it and put the Thompsons water repellent and UV blocker on it every 2 years. Deck is just as good now as it was then. The repellent and UV blocker really have prevented it from splintering and cracking over the years. If I keep the maintenance up, I doubt it will ever need to be replaced. That being said, I wish I had the maintenance free type decking that is out now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I found a lot of useful info on this site...

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/

On new decks..

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/staining-a-new-deck/

With this info I bought the Armstrong, it has been a year and it still looks like I put it on yesterday...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...eck-78176.html
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My understanding has always been that it is best to let it sit for up to a year and really dry out and then apply something. I prefer something like clear Thompson's Water Seal but most recently we applied an Olympic semi-transparent colored stain/sealant. It looks good right now and water beads up well but we'll have to see how well it lasts.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

I agree that that website is very useful, for all decking types. And yes, letting the wood dry a month or two is clearly important. You want to stain the deck when the weather is dry and not too hot or cold. Fall should be perfect.

I just put in Brazilian hardwood deck last year and still read a lot about deck staining. That site was my best source of information. I'm resigned to washing and staining every year. But it is worth it.

The "maintenance free" decking in general is terrible. There are lawsuits and some have been settled. Maintenance free really isn't. The material can disintegrate, and the side rails are poorly made and frequently will bow.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I agree that that website is very useful, for all decking types. And yes, letting the wood dry a month or two is clearly important. You want to stain the deck when the weather is dry and not too hot or cold. Fall should be perfect.

I just put in Brazilian hardwood deck last year and still read a lot about deck staining. That site was my best source of information. I'm resigned to washing and staining every year. But it is worth it.

The "maintenance free" decking in general is terrible. There are lawsuits and some have been settled. Maintenance free really isn't. The material can disintegrate, and the side rails are poorly made and frequently will bow.

Well....Maybe I am glad I dont have it then! A pipe dream anyways, as I am too cheap to tear down a perfectly good pressure treated deck that appears to have a good 20 years left anyways provided I don't get lazy and ignore proper maintenance.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We had a deck built in 1985 of pressure treated lumber and replaced it five years ago as we wanted a different configuration. The deck was still in almost perfect shape after 25 years and the most we ever did was waterseal it, maybe twice. Wish we'd kept it.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm of the opinion of a good air dry to allow the existing gunk to sink in, wash off etc. Then a sealant, never been pleased with Thompsons. CWF or other thicker products seem better to me. YMMV
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'm of the opinion of a good air dry to allow the existing gunk to sink in, wash off etc. Then a sealant, never been pleased with Thompsons. CWF or other thicker products seem better to me. YMMV

I use Thompsons and I agree with you.. That is why I do it every 2 years. It doesn't last as long as it is supposed to. Maybe I should try a better product and then I may not have to seal it as often.....

Old 08-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I came to the conclusion there is really nothing on the market you can apply that has proven to be effective, so I did nothing.
+1

My previous lake house had several treated wood structures (decks, floating docks, pier), and all I did was pressure wash every 2-3 years. I owned the place for 20 years and all were still in good condition when I sold the house.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

Regarding "maintenance free", that is originally what we had our hearts set on, but this deck sits on a sleeper system on top of a rubber membrane roof, and Trex would not warrant their material in our application. Then I got on the internet and found the information to which you refer,i.e. class action lawsuits, failures, etc etc...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We built our own deck in 1998..bought the wood many months ahead, stacked it on pallets with separations for air.
When we were confident it was dry I put a good coat of stain over every sq inch...let it dry for several days and then applied a second one. Now do a re-touch on exposed surfaces every year or two. That sucker is in perfection condition and I hope it stays that way.

It was cumbersome and took a lot of time, but we are more then happy that we did that way.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote