When can you buy a PS3 at MSRP?

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Was anyone successful in buying a PS3 today? I saw several EBay bids end at more than $2,500 today. Mind boggling!

I am guessing that one can buy a PS3 at MSRP a week or two after New Year. What do you say?

Martha said:
What's a PS3?

A 600+ dollar machine made by sony to play video games on.

Seriously crazy stuff, people camping outside for days in tents in the rain waiting to buy them.

I seriously wonder what is wrong with the humans on the planet.

And I felt odd paying $60 for a used Xbox 360 game as a birthday gift for my brother whose girlfriend gave him an Xbox 360 last week.

$2500? Just think of what you could do with $2000 in a month or two while waiting for PS3s to become easily available.

Wonder what the ROFL Elmos are going for?

The PS3's 3.2 GHz Cell processor, developed jointly by Sony, Toshiba and IBM ("STI"), is an implementation to dynamically assign physical processor cores to do different types of work independently. It has a PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible 3.2 GHz Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs), a seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to OS security, and an eighth disabled to improve production yields. The PPE, SPE's and other elements ("units") are connected via an Element Interconnect Bus which serves to connect all of the units in a ring-style bus. The PPE has a 512 KiB level 2 cache and one VMX vector unit. Each of the SPEs is a RISC processor with 128 128-bit SIMD GPRs and superscalar functions. Each SPE contains 256 KiB of non-cached memory (local storage, "LS") that is shared by program code and work data. SPEs may access more data in the main memory using DMA. The floating point performance of the whole system (CPU + GPU) is reported to be 2.18 TFLOPS[77]. PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves 204 GFLOPS single precision float and 15 GFLOPS double precision. The PS3 will ship with 256 MiB of Rambus XDR DRAM, clocked at CPU die speed.

Yeah, but can it play Pong?

justin said:
What's a Pong? ;)

That is funny, It was one of the first video games. It was played on the TV set You hooked up a game machine that had a dot and two lines that moved you played ping pong on a TV screen. Early 80s late 70s

Outtahere said:
What I don't understand is why they don't make more of these things.

Production ramp-up is always a problem with a new product. But it's only this bad, this crazy, because of the existence of a small group of die hards.

I have the feeling that Sony is glad to have this problem. This is a free multi-million dollar campaign for the product. Nintendo would be ecstatic to have this problem with their next player.

newguy888 said:
I seriously wonder what is wrong with the humans on the planet.

I've stopped wondering. It's not a pretty picture. I will say that.

JG

Forget playstation 3's. I'm currently running 2 7900GTO's in SLI configuration, Creative X-Fi, 2 gigs ram, and a AMD64 X2 4400+. My system should be easily on par with one of those; minus the Blue-ray capability.

Back
Top Bottom