When candy is outlawed....

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
...only outlaws will have candy:

Jolly Rancher lands Brazos ISD third-grader in detention for a week | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in Brazos County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

I wonder if that state law really intended school children be given long detention for bringing their own "junk" to school. I suspect it was really directed at the school vending machines and cafeteria - that is, food provided or sponsored by the school.

A week for a single jolly rancher? Good grief.

According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

Apparently the problem was the child got her candy from another student. Geez. Maybe they need to punish the "candy pusher" instead - LOL!

But even that - Texas Dept of Agriculture says did not threaten the school funding which is what the school administration is all freaked out about:

In a letter to the school system Friday, the Texas Department of Agriculture wrote, “This particular incidence of candy possession as it has been reported by KHOU-TV would not be considered a violation of the state or federal nutrition program and therefore would not have jeopardized your district’s food service funding.

What a farce.

Audrey

I wonder if that state law really intended school children be given long detention for bringing their own "junk" to school. I suspect it really was directed at the school vending machines and cafeteria.
The state weighed in later and more or less said that the school overreacted and misinterpreted the law. Would be nice for the school and district to send a letter of apology and a removal of the detention from the girl's record at minimum.

And surprise, surprise -- the principal and superintendent cited "potential loss of federal funding" as the reason for the action. It always comes back to money, doesn't it?

The detention for having one piece of candy was so ridiculous! Even worse was the fact that she said (in the video) that a friend had given her the piece of candy and before she had a chance to open it, she was busted. Poor kid!

I never had a "jolly rancher". Guess they must be pretty good.... :angel:

Does this mean now they will outlaw crack in the schools, too? Darn..

I never had a "jolly rancher". Guess they must be pretty good.... :angel:

I remember bringing Jolly Ranchers to school every day in middle school. They were 2 cents a piece so i'd buy a dollars worth every couple days. However, there was no policy against them at that time. If there is a no junk food policy then it needs to be enforced and detention is a pretty minor and appropriate punishment. Maybe start with just 1 day though.

If there is a no junk food policy then it needs to be enforced and detention is a pretty minor and appropriate punishment. Maybe start with just 1 day though.
There is another option: Modify or repeal bad policies and stop the "zero tolerance" nonsense which doesn't allow the application of common sense.

I wish they would outlaw plumber's crack in my home...
You should always keep some of this around just in case...

Attachments

• plumbers putty.JPG
    plumbers putty.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 67
Ridiculous stuff like this makes me glad my kid is long out of school. I remember much angst, passed on from him to me, about this rule and that rule, etc. It was such a relief when he went away to college. He liked it much better, too, in college and actually did better academically as he felt less bogged down by the Nanny-state.

Back
Top Bottom