Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes I feel old and sometimes I don't. I think the first time I felt old was seeing how my then teenage daughter and her boyfriend acted and how in love they were. I am 55 yrs old and this was only a couple of years ago. They seemed so lighthearted and so much in love and so very young. I remembered when my DH used to look at me like that and thought that I the most important person in the world also. Life does get in the way sometimes. They are now married and have 1 child. They still seem so young though. I guess that I need to get the book Younger Next Year and read it and put it into practice.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

When I had to scroll my mouse wheel more than 2 times to enter my birth year on websites that require birth date registration

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
When I had to scroll my mouse wheel more than 2 times to enter my birth year on websites that require birth date registration
Yeah, that too.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

30 - piece of cake
40 - 2nd helping of cake
50 - pass the ice cream cake (just turned 4 months ago)
55 - wedding cake planned
60 - 5 yr anniversary cake planned
70 - low fat cake planned
80 - let them eat cake!
90 - what cake?

I actually felt MATURE, but not old, when I married at age 25 and bought a house in the same year. It was a coming of age and a sign of adult success.
Life has pitched many a screaming curve ball at me, and I had to hit each one clean over the fence.
We all have, in our own way. We must keep stepping up to the plate and grinning at the pitcher.
Starting a new life from scratch, when I was widowed at age 46, was by far the worst pitch. That gives me a totally different perspective on aging. Old means I'm alive.
To me, old will happen when I allow myself to no longer feel young at heart. And that, my friends, shall never pass on my watch.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe it isn't having children, but I didn't feel old until a few months ago when I began taking care of a baby. Being 54 and lugging a baby, even a sweet baby, around it makes you feel your age. Bother psychologically and physically.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Reading this made feel old... on so many levels. Oh so old.

22-Year-Old Sells Virginity Online
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Reading this made feel old... on so many levels. Oh so old.

22-Year-Old Sells Virginity Online
I'm looking at that woman, and I woujld say her chances of being a virgin are not too great. Maybe she got a surgical resoration for her project.

It certainly is an easier route to FIRE than years of washing baggies and eating beans.

Ha
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You mean when the hot young chicks smile at you sweetly and call you "Sir"?
Or when you involuntarily sigh as you sit down and grunt as you struggle to stand up?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The more I work out, the younger I feel. The nice thing about elder exercise is that you can discern the results much more quickly.

If you want to feel young again, go visit your friendly neighborhood rehab/PT clinic. Or the senior center. Or a homeless shelter. I always leave these places with a spring in my step and a more realistic perspective on my alleged "problems".

I especially enjoy sparring taekwondo and watching my teen opponent panting in exhaustion at the beginning of the third (his final) round. Unfortunately it doesn't happen as often as my ego can handle.

As for the hot young chicks, I now bestow upon them a special smile that I'd never have been able to get away with in my 20s. It's delivered with plenty of eye contact and an expression that says "Ah, if you only knew how to do what I know how to do..."

How old are Pete Townshend & Roger Daltry now?
I somehow suspect that the "know how to do" part has nothing to do with hanging a ten, or does it?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

When I was 35 a kid I used to babysit got married. That was my first indication.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I somehow suspect that the "know how to do" part has nothing to do with hanging a ten, or does it?
It's one of the reasons why the surf instructors are always smiling...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #51

I'm just a big kid, and always will be...and I absolutely refuse to act my age!!! However, about 2 weeks ago I had dinner with my ex-fiancee's youngest daughter, who was still in grade school when her mom and I started going out.....she's finishing up her internship shortly, and will be graduating from college in May! And another girl that I used to baby sit, graduated from college, got married, and has 3 kids!

Sure seems like kids these days grow up and get old a whole lot faster than they used to. I'm just glad that we don't get old that fast!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #52

I knew I was old 2 years ago at a HS football game with one of my HS classmates and his grandson
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I recalled the days growing up when TV only got 4 channels -We all had to watch the same programs-gave us commonality -

Then we sang the theme song to Beverly Hillbillies

Remembering TV repairmen coming to the house

Bread & Milk delivery

(and for fellow Canadians) When the Union Jack not the Canadian Flag hung in every classroom
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianteddy View Post
Bread & Milk delivery
Yeah, and about once a week one of us kids would connive the bread driver out of a snack cake of some sort!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

When did you realize you were old?

I just turned 50 this last Friday, and although not old in any real sense of the word it was real enough to give me pause and to reflect on my life. On another message board I frequent where the readership is a bit younger someone posted the above question and someone else posted the answer that sums it up for me.
When did you realize you were old?

When you realize that you can go anywhere you want to, and stay out as late as you want to.....and you don't want to!
So tell me--when did YOU realize you were old?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I'm not old.
My driver's license tells me I'm 51, but my mind tells me I'm 19.
Age 19 was a special year for me as far as my first big adventure goes.

Happy belated birthday.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #57

When I found myself writing traffic tickets to teenagers who were born the year I came on the police department.

My favorite t-shirt:

"Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old wondering what the hell happened."
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #58

Neither DW nor I are old. Instead, we are experienced, well-versed, mature, seasoned, enduring, vintage, long-lasting, time-honored, perennial, inveterate, and ripe.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #59

I have separated people from the military (worked in the section that writes up the DD-214's) that I am old enough to have given birth to!

I am old enough to know better, but young enough to go ahead anyway....darn, when this attidude changes will that mean I am "old" It really is just a number ya know...I tell my 96 year old grandmother this anyway!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

See also:

When did you feel old?

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote