Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

When did you feel old?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When did you feel old?

40 or 50 didn't feel old.

58 (40 years from being 18) somehow suddenly felt old. I wasn't supposed to live this long.

Hope I die before I get old
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wanted to come up with some lighthearted joke for this thread but read no further if you want that.

When I was 35 I heard through the grapevine that an old college roommate had finally been committed to a mental institution; I knew I would never feel young again.

Sorry, I'm up too late. It's been a wild and crazy day. (Arrow through the head smilie).

The guy never look young.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When they elected a president who was younger than me.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Somewhere between 40 and 50, I felt old when I realized my children in their late teens would not need me for much longer. It was like when you felt your purpose in life has been fulfilled, like an annual plant that has borne fruit, and in its autumn. It was also when I found I needed the help of my son for some physical work; he had grown bigger and stronger than me. I then also remembered that point in time long past, when I became physically stronger than my father.

But then, I felt young again. I found this forum, and have been joking around. At some point, I may feel old again. I do not look forward to it.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I really didn't feel old in my 40's or 50's - - my 50's were the best and most fun decade in my life, so far. But, I started to feel old after I turned 60 last summer. Although that might partly be due to facing the number 60, also I think that a big part of it is that I am still working and that is taking a toll on me.

Believe me, young dreamers, when you get to a certain age just going to work every day is a huge accomplishment and about all you can handle. So, I recommend planning to ER before you get old, or at least having a "Plan B" in case you feel the need to do so.

I may be tired and feel old, but I am getting closer and closer to ER. I do believe that will be rejuvenating to some extent.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I remember that on each "major" birthday (30, 40, 50) I marveled at the fact that I had no perception of things slipping by or of getting old. I hit 60 this summer and still haven't felt that. But I did follow the advice I found here to read "Younger Next Year" and I have significantly upped my exercise regimen. That has enabled me to drop 15 pounds and increase my endurance. I suspect that an illness that greatly curtailed my activities would be the trigger that makes me feel old.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I just recently started to feel old when I realized I would never be able to pull off those hot little dresses anymore .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've tried to stay pretty active and take care of myself so it's hard to think of myself as "old" at age 51.

I did feel kind of old one day when my grandson said "Papa, you have something in your nose....Oh, I guess it's just hair."
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just recently started to feel old when I realized I would never be able to pull off those hot little dresses anymore .
Amen.
canadianteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

35 years ago, when I first heard this:

and didn't recover until a couple years ago:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Feel Old?

OK, I'll bite. Is feeling old aching when you get up after sitting for a long time?
Is it not being able to run as fast as you use to?
Is it wearing light tan 'comfy' shoes?
Is it when you realize you really do have enough _________? (fill in the blank)
Is it when you beging to realize your friends are dying off?
Is it when you have more gray hair than brown?
Is it when you notice you really do have wrinkles.
Is it when you notice you spend way more time on this board?
Is it when the weekly card game is more important than the weekly football game?
Is it when you can't play football anymore?
When you notice the look you grand kids give you when you mention something that happened say 40 years ago?
Heck, when you have grand kids!

I will admit that I have come to realize some of these. Yet when I look at DW's 98 year old father, my 65 years don't seem quite as old. So yes I have the aches and pains, there are things I seem to forget, but just as when I was a kid, life is just as much fun and everyday I learn something new.

So after all of this, I would have to answer 24, when my first child was born. I knew I was old. I was the Dad now and had to make the decisions. However, from that day, little has changed. I think I am a little wiser, but older... nope, only in years, not in spirit.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I felt old when I first worked for a boss younger than me. Sure don't miss that!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When I first realized that we have to start worrying about age discrimination in employment.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have days when I feel 20 and other days when I feel 80. DW, on the other hand, rather suddenly decided that she was now "old" and has since then proceeded to act "old". This happened several years ago at age 55. She's changed in so many ways I think because she's convinced herself that she's "supposed" to change at a particular age. I am struggling to understand what's going on with her. She physically looks 10 or 15 years younger that most women her age and I often tell her this.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
and I often tell her this.
Depends, I suppose, on how you say it:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

When did you feel old?

When I got out of bed this a.m......
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When did you feel old?
"Hope I die before I get old"
You mean when the hot young chicks smile at you sweetly and call you "Sir"?
Or when you involuntarily sigh as you sit down and grunt as you struggle to stand up?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The more I work out, the younger I feel. The nice thing about elder exercise is that you can discern the results much more quickly.

If you want to feel young again, go visit your friendly neighborhood rehab/PT clinic. Or the senior center. Or a homeless shelter. I always leave these places with a spring in my step and a more realistic perspective on my alleged "problems".

I especially enjoy sparring taekwondo and watching my teen opponent panting in exhaustion at the beginning of the third (his final) round. Unfortunately it doesn't happen as often as my ego can handle.

As for the hot young chicks, I now bestow upon them a special smile that I'd never have been able to get away with in my 20s. It's delivered with plenty of eye contact and an expression that says "Ah, if you only knew how to do what I know how to do..."

How old are Pete Townshend & Roger Daltry now?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

When a college kid on the local campus called me "sir" before asking
me a question !
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #19

When I found myself writing traffic tickets to kids who were born the year I came on the department.

When, in my 40's, I had two hernias a year apart and knee surgery.

When I heard my two sisters sit around and complain about various aches and pains. We had all sworn we would never do that. They were not appreciative when I reminded them.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I found myself writing traffic tickets to kids who were born the year I came on the department.
And another one: when you go to the supermarket and you see signs at the counter saying:

"No alcohol sales if you were born after this day in 1988." And I was already old enough to buy booze in 1988.

And don't get me started on "no tobacco sales if you born after today's date in 1991."

Ack!!!!!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote