Join Early Retirement Today

Re: When Did You See the Light? II (danger:religion thread)
Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
..Sooo - I go out and about for a while - come back four pages later and nobody's posted ' I'm outtahere', gone to hell/er moved to Texas, or put up any ladies with big bazoomers. Greg came closest...

Bazoomers* * What an awesome word.* Two thumbs up!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

Like the De Gaul quote - absolutely no idea where/when I first heard it.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Church of the Bazoomers, eh? Yeah, I'd convert.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The Church of the Bazoomers, eh?* *Yeah, I'd convert.*
Yeah, but I think I've seen the hat for that church and it's not that neat.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #65

Martha made an obscure reference to purim the other day (at least I think she did), so I looked it up.* *I'm thinking about celebrating random religious holidays, and purim has a lot going for it.

According to the Talmud, a person is required to drink until he cannot tell the difference between "cursed be Haman" and "blessed be Mordecai," though opinions differ as to exactly how drunk that is.

Religions appeal to me more and more all the time.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
According to the Talmud, a person is required to drink until he cannot tell the difference between "cursed be Haman" and "blessed be Mordecai," though opinions differ as to exactly how drunk that is.
Careful-- I bet it sounds a lot different in the original Hebrew than it reads in the King's English...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #67

"If the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!"

-A quote attributed to "Ma" Ferguson, the first female governor of Texas, in 1925.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Martha made an obscure reference to purim the other day (at least I think she did), so I looked it up.* *I'm thinking about celebrating random religious holidays, and purim has a lot going for it.

This sounds like the first written recording of closing time at the bar! Enough beers and any Haman looks like a Mordecai!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #69

I have not seen the light and I am thankful!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #70

I'm not* sure what it will take. When we look around the world we can see some societies and parts of societies realizing that religions are really just basic superstitions run amok! . I'm not sure what it will take. Maybe supertelescopes that will show us other habital planets. . Maybe people just growing up and realizing what a pile of horsesh*t all this is. But then a bunch of "born agains" jump out and take 40 points off your national I.Q.

The Middle East for whatever reason has been afflicted with this for millenia. And the U.S. against the advice of 90% of the rest of the world plunged both hands and feet into this terrible tarbaby called Iraq.

I did see the light many many years ago. It troubles me that mothers fathers and children are still dying today because of all this nonsense.

I am proud that I broke free and cut the cycle. When you see and hear the the "Bakers, Swaggart, Limbaugh, Benny Hinn, The Crystal Cathedral.............and on and on........it makes you want to barf!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #71

I think you need to separate good religion from bad religion.

Born agains don't bother me when they would have been convicts otherwise.

Religious organizations like Habitat for Humanity (A Christian Ministry) do some good.* *So do local churches.

The bad stuff from religions all stems from xenophobia.* *People don't like people who are different.* *That problem will never go away even if religion does.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

The bad stuff from religions all stems from xenophobia.* *People don't like people who are different.* *That problem will never go away even if religion does.
Am not sure the bad stuff doesn't stem only from xenophobia.* I think it is also about some individuals, or a group, using organized religion in particular as a basis to believe they are better than those who don't have the same beliefs. I see it time and time again, and more recently being used for personal gain by influential politicians as well.*

That is different than being spiritual within oneself and I have respect for those that believe in spirituality - members of my own family included.* It is also different from a local church organization that can and does organize the 'community', i.e. its congregation, to do something constructive for those in need. But that is where it stops for me.

Organized religion to me is often about building and maintaining a business model and a hierarchy to support it.* One has to only look at who gathers power and leverages that power within organized religion for personal gain. I primarily see organized religion as just another mega-corporation.* I was put off organized religion as a preteen when I realized passing the collection plate was really about using the guilt complex to extract from the gullible (and often the poor) to feed the monster that builds glorious structures, hoards gold and art and makes life comfortable for an elite of 'business leaders'.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #73

Sunday school at ~ 8 years old.* Thank god for my religious upbringing, without it who know what beliefs I would have adopted.*
Old 08-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #74

When I realized the the phrase "believe as I do or god will damn you" morphs into "believe as I do or I will kill you". Age about 12.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As long as a person's religious beliefs are not imposed on others, a religious faith doesn't become my problem. Too often religion is used to exercise power over others or to aquire money.

I don't like others asking about my religious beliefs nor do I appreciate others telling me where they worship.

Whether or not one professes a religious belief, I notice that each of us has found THE ANSWER.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #76

Re: When Did You See the Light? II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Oh , there are, but to get the special decoder ring, you have to become a Cardinal. Somehow I doubt you would want to deny yourself what those guys pass over just to get the ring and the funny hat...
Judging by the scandals from the last few years, apparently they have found substitutes for what they were suppose to pass over.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote