• Out of frustration - when my old one doesn't work anymore

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • I run my old computer to the ground...try to keep it forever

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • I don't know...usually an impulse purchase

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm fooling around trying to get my laptop and it's USB connection to work right:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/does-static-zap-mice-52976.html

I thought it might the a zapped mouse, then a USB hub, then maybe the usb drivers, now I think it's back to the mouse. In the meantime I hear myself saying, "I need a new laptop..." :(

So, that lead me to this poll. When do you usually get a new computer?

I can't vote, I get one when DW want's it. We just got an Apple Desk Top, pretty cool.

Thanks for the reply. I knew I should have added a 6th selection.

When of the three I usually keep running craps out beyond repair. Then Ebay for something not too new. My newest one is about 10 years old Dell. 2 running XPpro, one Win2Kpro. DW's Dell is around 8 yrs old.

I usually replace my computers out of frustration. My 3.5-year old computer is starting to frustrate me. Things are slowly falling apart (DVD Drive gone, sound card buggy, fans getting noisy, one RAM stick not working anymore, etc...). Not frustrating enough for me to get a new computer just yet, but getting there.

I never have though about it, but I seem to do with my computers/printers what I do with my vehicles~maintain them so that they last as long as possible and when they die, donate the remains to charity. Example~ my printer is a 1995 model but computer is only a 2005 edition.

My current computer is a Toshiba Tecra laptop, vintage 2003. I upgraded the hard drive 4 years ago. I usually buy the best business computer I can afford, because they are more resilient. This baby has traveled all over north America, Europe and even to the Middle East with me. Everything is still working fine despite a few dents and scratches.

In the near future I am going to consider adding a tablet, not to replace my laptop, but to complement it and make traveling more convenient. Just waiting for more competition in the tablet market.

Bought next to last PC and monitor late 2002. Replaced current PC in 2008, same monitor. I replace when the last one is not longer functional...about 5 years, hope to extend that in the years ahead.

I voted for the "Current Technology" choice. However, the new doesn't just replace the old one. I generally keep a computer until one of two things happen:

1. Hardware failure becomes an issue -- for instance, parts no longer available.

2. I run out of desk/office space because of the above "Current Technology" issue.

Currently, I have two Windows XP machines (oldest about eight years), one Windows Vista machine (about five years), and a Windows 7 Laptop (maybe two years old).

I am beginning to search for a replacement for the Windows Vista machine (Dual core 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB memory and dual HD -- 160 GB and 250 GB). I built this one myself and will, most likely, do the same for the replacement.

It depends on the cost of the issue. If your PC has a problem and costs more than 50% to repair vs. cost of a new PC, then it makes sense to just buy a new one. Then you can always salvage the usable parts to sell or keep as a spare or to tinker with on another project.

When friends are giving away project computers or when Dell gives away free monitors with a PC purchase...

Next up in Simplyfing Saturday for me, though, is cleaning off our six-year-old Mac Mini and getting rid of it and all the accompanying KVM equipment. Maybe the Mac Computer Museum is looking for one of the original PowerPC models.

I am dying to try Windows 7, but my Vista computers are chugging along just fine, for now. :(

If my laptop does not crater in the next year or two, maybe I'll think of some excuse to give it to a friend and buy a newer Windows 7 machine (unless a newer operating system is out by that time).

I voted for out of frustration. But I suppose, I try to run it to the ground, then out of frustration, I'll get a computer when things totally konk out.

My previous laptop (HP Pavillion), stopped functioning properly (funny, I forgot what had stopped working) and in trying to repair it, I ended up taking in apart. Being a laptop, once taken apart isn't as easy to put back together as a desktop In otherwords, I had to pitch it as all was left was just parts.

I ending up getting a used Dell Latitude D600 which is the one I have now, but is a bit on the fritz at the moment.

I'm almost tempted to get a min-tower (micro case) instead of a used laptop.

Computers seem to last about three years for me. Either something goes drastically wrong with it, or it just starts feeling so slow that I'm frustrated with its response time.

The main machine is an iMac desktop, but I also have a laptop, and one is always considerably newer than the other, so I always have a spare when needed.

For me, it is simply technology. I've given in to the fact that computers just need to be replaced at least every 5 or 6 years. This may plateau, but for now it seems about right.

My pet peeve is that it is such a hassle to move all your programs and settings from old to new. In a better world, the hard drive from old would just plug into a slot on the new computer and all programs and files would automatically migrate to the new computer seamlessly.

I voted When the price is right but it could easily be frustration or not working. Currently have Dell precision 530 that I bought about four years ago when it was two years old. Dual xeon processors
2GB RDRAM. Linux running on the SCSI Drive XP on a 160 GB and another 160 GB for data backup with two external backup drives. Drives are getting on newest is about 5 years. It may be time to treat myself to a new box with two TB drives and a solid state drive to boot from. Replaced monitor last spring after 10 years.

For me, it is simply technology. I've given in to the fact that computers just need to be replaced at least every 5 or 6 years. This may plateau, but for now it seems about right.

My pet peeve is that it is such a hassle to move all your programs and settings from old to new. In a better world, the hard drive from old would just plug into a slot on the new computer and all programs and files would automatically migrate to the new computer seamlessly.

A computer technologist can create a "ghost drive" of your old computer and load it onto your new one. I've had that done but I'll bet there are many forum members who know how to do it themselves.

A computer technologist can create a "ghost drive" of your old computer and load it onto your new one. I've had that done but I'll bet there are many forum members who know how to do it themselves.

Yes, this can be easily done and there are many programs that make it a "piece of cake." However, it is not that simple. Anti-priracy considerations prevent that as a viable solution.

My son and I build a new one every few years. We both game on them so once the games become too burdensome we upgrade. We don't try to be on the forefront of technology/games so are able to build reasonably priced computers using one generation behind hardware. This means it is a) cheaper, b) plenty of time for reviews to separate the good components from the bad and c) drivers and glitches are fixed.

DD

The third choice for me. My MacBook went kaput in August after 4 years. Fortunately my son was due for a visit in a couple of days so I waited it out to consult him. He ordered a new hard drive and installed it for me and my computer is as good as new.

We maxed out the frustration meter this year for both our desktop and laptop. Desktop was vintage 2002, laptop 2004. Slow, slow slow with both and I tried everything my limited skills allowed to try to improve things.

We are happy owners of two new HPs with Windows 7.

Wow, this is your lucky day!

This 'better world' does exist. Just runa cable between the two computers. Works as advertised.

Migration Assistant (Apple) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Migration Assistant is a utility by Apple Inc. that copies user accounts, user files, applications, printer and fax descriptions (printer and fax drivers), network settings and other system and user settings from one Macintosh computer to another computer, or from a full drive backup. It can be used during initial setup of a new computer or run manually on a system that has already been set up. It may be used multiple times to copy only applications, user account(s), or settings. Its primary purpose is to duplicate the contents and configuration of an existing computer user account(s) on a new one.

If transferring from an older computer, Migration Assistant is run from the newer computer, with the older one connected to it by Ethernet cable, over a network, or by FireWire cable and running the older computer in Target Disk Mode.

I've noticed this feature in the Ubuntu/Linux install, but I haven't actually had to migrate to another computer yet, so cannot comment on the effectiveness.

-ERD50

I voted the "out of frustration" vote. I don't understand why one would say to 'keep up with technology", unless the old technology wasn't working so well anymore ('frustration').

OK, I could see 'keep up with technology' from a "I just want to play with the new stuff and try it out".

-ERD50

Wow, this is your lucky day!

This 'better world' does exist. Just run a cable between the two computers. Works as advertised..........

-ERD50

Ah yes, similar to the Windows Easy Transfer System.

Windows 7: Moving in is simple

All I can say is it ain't that easy - the devil is in the details.

I voted the "out of frustration" vote. I don't understand why one would say to 'keep up with technology", unless the old technology wasn't working so well anymore ('frustration').

OK, I could see 'keep up with technology' from a "I just want to play with the new stuff and try it out".

Actually, it is more along the lines of when the latest Technology's needs is greater (in terms of resource requirements) than a particular computer can deliver -- resulting, more often than not, in very slow response to commands. Yes, this is frustrating but not in the "I don't understand what's happening" sense.

I took a long time to give up on Windows 3.1... because Windows 95/98 failed to attract me. When I purchased Windows 2000, I knew I had made a very big mistake. The "Learning Curve" took me "forever" despite knowing that this Operating Sytem was exactly what I had been, for many years, looking for. I never, ever want to go through that again.

To me the cost of "staying current" is worth what ever it takes -- I am much too old to catch up after falling behind. (Yes. Someday I will give up and join the Rocking Chair crowd but that's not today.)

Back
Top Bottom