2022 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

When does Sears close all stores - Poll
Old 02-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When does Sears close all stores - Poll

Vote Now
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I have NO clue - - didn't Google it. Our local Sears and K-mart are just about history (sad!) so I voted 2019 q2, but that is a wild uninformed guess.

Edited to add: I Googled it briefly and apparently there has been a takeover bid, so 425 stores might remain open indefinitely if approved. Unfortunately those 425 stores do not include the K-Mart and Sears closest to us, which are supposed to close in March and are having liquidation sales. Oh Well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #3

I haven't the foggiest idea so just randomly picked Q3 2019. The Sears store closest to us closed several years ago and for a few years before that I wondered how they kept the lights on, let alone paid employees.

It is sad because for a long time they had quality merchandise for a reasonable price. I have lots of Craftsman tools bought back when they were good tools.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My guess is the end of 2020.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
gone traveling

Need to start returning craftsman tools that have lifetime warranty and get new ones.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

It is just amazing how Eddie Lampert has almost single-handily scammed everyone to make himself more money. Jaw dropping actually. I've been following the Sears saga for quite a while, and it clearly is a scam run by Lampert for his own benefit.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Need to start returning craftsman tools that have lifetime warranty and get new ones.
Not necessarily. The older ones are probably built better and will still outlast the newer.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My guess is the end of 2020.
My guess is, all Sears stores will be closed before Tesla ships a $35,000 Model 3.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:

Those old ones you have might be worth something. Apparently the newer craftsman are cr*p. Just an imperfectly worded internet search turned up a lot of negative comments on the newer ones. Here is one example. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...s-today.64454/

Old 02-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #10

Arbitrarily chose Q4, 2019.

But I picked up (at Sears) a nice $50 Outdoor Life jacket today for $22.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

The PBGC is suing Lampert for 1.4 Billion... the amount of the shortage in the Sears Pension Fund. Who knows what this means?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Stanley Black and Decker now owns the Craftsman name.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The PBGC is suing Lampert for 1.4 Billion... the amount of the shortage in the Sears Pension Fund. Who knows what this means?
I found this:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/fede...nsions/547546/

Not clear they are suing Lampert, looks to me like they are suing Sears. Basically, looks like PBGC is saying that Sears did not fund the plan per a 2016 agreement?

PBGC has friends in high places, they carry a big club.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I found this:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/fede...nsions/547546/

Not clear they are suing Lampert, looks to me like they are suing Sears. Basically, looks like PBGC is saying that Sears did not fund the plan per a 2016 agreement?

PBGC has friends in high places, they carry a big club.

-ERD50
Definitely suing Sears. I believe the PBGC objects to the terms offered to “rescue” the bankruptcy, as they negate some of the $1.4B obligations agreed in the link you referenced.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

sorry .. I equate Lampert with ESL, and see the $$$ as a loss to ESL.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
It is just amazing how Eddie Lampert has almost single-handily scammed everyone to make himself more money. Jaw dropping actually. I've been following the Sears saga for quite a while, and it clearly is a scam run by Lampert for his own benefit.
Do you have an idea of how he’s profiting from this? I generally agree with your sentiment, but I can’t see how he profiting. All I see is how he or his hedge fund are pouring billions of dollars into a lost cause. At a minimum, I think he took a great name and wasted it, but I can’t figure out what’s in this for him without it actually being successful.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Do you have an idea of how he’s profiting from this? I generally agree with your sentiment, but I can’t see how he profiting. All I see is how he or his hedge fund are pouring billions of dollars into a lost cause. At a minimum, I think he took a great name and wasted it, but I can’t figure out what’s in this for him without it actually being successful.
The only article I could quickly find was one in the Guardian, maybe not the best choice, but the factual parts of the article correspond to what I have read previously, which in a nutshell, is Lampert has been robbing Sears blind.

from the article "As Sears’ CEO, chairman, banker, landlord and transaction partner, Lampert has managed to transfer many of Sears’ assets to himself and sell off others.

In 2015, he sold the real estate of more than 250 Sears retail stores and other company property to real estate investment fund, Seritage Properties, which is 43.5% owned by Lampert’s hedge fund. Sears has paid the fund an annual rent of $134m, with 2% annual increases starting in 2017. As Lampert’s hedge fund extended credit to Sears backed by at least 46 Sears properties, Lampert could receive the rights to those properties in the bankruptcy proceedings.

In 2014, Lampert sold off Sears’ profitable clothing company Land’s End to himself as the principal shareholder. In January 2017, Lampert finalized a deal to sell Sears’ Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker for $900m, which was used to pay off Sears’ creditors, Lampert included."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-eddie-lampert

Old 02-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
After I saw how they killed CompUSA, I'm not surprised....except how gullible people were about Eddie's intentions!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

That's what I understand. He's in it for the Sears real estate. He loans them money, gets it guaranteed with the hard real estate assets, and when Sears goes under he'll get the real estate, cheap. So I think he's actually more motivated to let Sears go under than have them succeed, but he doesn't lose either way.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #20

I didn't vote because my answer isn't there "Not soon enough"

To me it's a textbook example of greedy management running a good company into the ground.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote