Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have participated in many forums like this over the years, and I have to say this is one of the most organized and well-moderated boards I've seen. Actually I can't think of one that's better.

I think we do a pretty good job of self-policing and the moderators do a great job of moving posts when needed. I was loosely involved in an internal Megacorp discussion board before I retired, and I'll just say that too much rigidity stifles the natural discussions.

I think you guys are doing a great job. AND, the 'search' actually works, which is no small feat. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. JMHO, of course.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I have participated in many forums like this over the years, and I have to say this is one of the most organized and well-moderated boards I've seen. Actually I can't think of one that's better.
+1 on Mods here, they do a great job, I mentioned that Mods and Admins aren’t the answer IMHO in the OP.

It’s probably a matter of self policing, and to each his/her own there. There are some threads that as so long I wouldn’t expect a newbie looking for information to wade through it all. OTOH, sometimes questions surface that we’re just answered (again) a few days earlier.

I was just asking if someone had a good suggestion, there probably isn’t one.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I must be weird because I haven't used any ignore function nor have I subjected myself to reading lots of posts about the same old thing. I cut my reading off pretty quickly.

And I assume that everybody else has pretty much put me on their ignore list anyways, so I am not expecting any responses to this post as well.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
This got me thinking should we refresh the 2018-2019 CD Interest rates thread with a new one dedicated to 2019?

I started this thread and would personally like to see a new one just for 2019. No one really wants to know what interest rates for CDs were a year ago, only what is current. What do you think?
This is a great idea, and we have just implemented it. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have most definitely been guilty of repeating myself, thinking I’m helping out a legitimate question. I am conscious of it, don’t enjoy repeating myself, and I don’t always reply - but I still repeat/restate myself way more often than I’d like (yes, I know, just stop). I can’t keep track, or I might refer back to a specific post.
+1
Guilty.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
There are two things that baffle me that are an offshoot of this subject. One is a thread that starts on a subject, gets a number (you pick the number of replies) and then goes sideways with some goofy side responses back and forth in an attempt to be humorous. They get piled on and I lose interest. Then more closely related to this will be a thread that is active where it’s a year old and one person decides to respond to it. I assume that’s what is meant when maybe a new member likes the subject and wanted to post not realizing there has been no activity in ages. I just ignore the thread in both cases so I guess that I am just doing my own filtering.

I like the idea in anything of continuous improvement however that may look in relation to the OP’s original post.

One of the best things about forums imo is the organic way new topics are started - as there seems to be a need.

Some forum have rules about this; requiring new members to search for the topic they are interested in posting about and resurrecting an existing topic. New forum users are not good at searches (and the search tools rot) and I have seen them penalized for "circumventing" these sort of rules. It's a real disservice to new user imo, but the reason some newbies post to old threads. Other times they can't figure out how to post a new thread but can figure out how to reply.

It seems to me that if a topic has been languishing for a while and it's great to start a new version of the topic. There will be new opinions offered up. Interesting discussion and lots of it is what fuels forums.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I must be weird because I haven't used any ignore function nor have I subjected myself to reading lots of posts about the same old thing. I cut my reading off pretty quickly.

And I assume that everybody else has pretty much put me on their ignore list anyways, so I am not expecting any responses to this post as well.
LOL!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But some threads go on and on with posters asking the same questions, and others posting the same answers over and over and over. Once a thread reaches some length, it’s understandable that a member will not read through all the background, and proceed to ask a question - that’s already been answered, maybe several times. I have most definitely been guilty of repeating myself, thinking I’m helping out a legitimate question. I am conscious of it, don’t enjoy repeating myself, and I don’t always reply - but I still repeat/restate myself way more often than I’d like (yes, I know, just stop). I can’t keep track, or I might refer back to a specific post.

It’s not a Mod or Admin responsibility to discourage posts.

So are there guidelines to appropriately avoid run on threads? Or threads that have just become too unwieldy to read through?
I trimmed your post, for brevity.

There are many ways to extend a thread (make it a run-on), add unnecessary post(s), and make the thread unwieldy.

Individual posters have their traits, and quirks. I've found that the ignore feature, for user or topic, is very helpful in cutting down the length of certain topics.

There are times when I wish topics would be closed sooner, and even deleted, but mods do eventually close threads that are running off the tracks.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #29

The thin line between politics and retirement must be very difficult for the moderators. I always respect when the moderators remove my posts that might be too controversial. (I think 1 or 2 that I've posted). And when emotions get in the way of my opinion, they jump on that. And they're professional in letting me know.
So, good job moderators. You keep us in line to make this a respectful forum.

One other thing, The titles of the new posts can be misleading. I've ignored a title but later read one or two posts and realized, that's an interesting subject. I wrestle with how to title a post and get across the discussion I seek.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
+1

Another board I know has a strictly enforced policy of not posting as a new topic one that had been previously discussed. If you tried, your post would be promptly deleted. But this particular board had no search feature, so before posting one had to look back through years of older posts for a similar topic. Few people wanted to do that, so as you might guess the board died a slow death. Nothing new has been posted for a year.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Although I may dislike some posts, that alone doesn't make me "ignore" them. I can still learn from posts I don't like.

It only gets frustrating when a poster seems fixated on one set of topics and one point of view, to the point that you can actually predict when they'll jump in and what they'll say. Plus, they are too certain of their rightness to bother debating. So there's no point reading their posts, because there are no surprises, no new learning, no interesting debate, and a sour taste to boot.

Fortunately, this is really rare. In 10 years, I only have implemented two "ignores" and I'm probably on their list, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When Should a Forum Thread Be Abandoned?

When the most accurate description of the ongoing discussion is:

Example: the "Thoughts on TESLA" thread
Old 01-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Funny I was thinking that the main problem was the vagueness of subject being the problem. The thread in question covers the stock, EVs, owners experiences, math tutorials and several skirmishes.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I love that thread. It's like the Spy vs. Spy comic strip in Mad Magazine.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote