Join Early Retirement Today

When to put the snow thrower to sleep?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

When to put the snow thrower to sleep?

Okay, maybe I'm just asking for a snowstorm asking this at this time of year, but I was just wondering when would be a good time to move the snow thrower from the garage back down to the shed behind the house and drain the fuel from it. It would also make it easier to get the motorcycle out, which is a lot more fun than a snow thrower.

Normally I wait until at least the end of March but it was almost 40° F today, the roads were dry, etc. and it made me start thinking about warmer weather.

I guess those unlucky folks in New England will be using them until June but how about the rest of you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow_thrower_and_MC-1.jpg (218.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Snow_thrower_and_MC-2.jpg (204.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Snow_thrower_and_MC-3.jpg (199.7 KB, 12 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #2

We have an extremely long driveway, so a plow blade on the tractor has been the only possible solution for me. Ever since we moved here, I've given it loads of work each winter.

Two years ago, I decided to get smart and put the blade on (removing the mower deck) early, while the weather was still comfortable. No snow at all that year.

Last year, I said since global warming was apparently in action, I'd wait to change the tractor over until necessary. Bang! we got clobbered with multiple snowstorms and I had to do the changeover in frigid, nasty weather.

This year, I learned from experience and did the changeover early while it was still nice in November. Presto! we haven't had a real snowfall yet this winter.

So, bottom line, I don't think there is any real answer to your question.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have a plow blade on my ATV for our 800' driveway. I've only plowed a couple of times this year. I was in az at the time of our big snowstorm. I use the ATV year round for hauling, tree removal and other yard work, so I don't drain the fuel or put it away in storage. And I keep the plow blade on because it's a pain to take off, store and put back on.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine goes away mid-March but it would still be accessible in a pinch. Have only had to use it once this year. It was a beautiful day with light fluffy snow. Perfect for blowing!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Spent winter in FL 1991 - 2013...
Now we live in a CCRC regular home, where the walks/driveways are always kept clear.
Once in a while a handful of salt... $4 every three or four years.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...I guess those unlucky folks in New England will be using them until June but how about the rest of you?

Actually, I plant my tomatoes outside during the 2nd week of June.

I was watching the video footage from the Boston and Worcester MA areas today on the Weather Channel. The statistics for the volume of snow removed in the past few weeks were mind boggling.

My snowblower stays in my 2 stall garage year round. I rarely use it because I have plow service. I will start it occasionally to do some fine tuning out in the driveway to remove any snow where the plow cannot get close enough without harming the front steps or raised flower garden.

I keep the snowblower in full "right now" operational condition just in case the plowing guy's equipment breaks or he is ill. System redundancy.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

I get the snowblower ready for it's off-season at the same time I get the lawn mowers ready for their active season, usually early April. In the fall when I'm prepping the mowers for winter storage, I prep the snowblower for active duty, usually early to mid November. Same holds true for other yard/garden equipment like the leaf blower, tiller, and wood-chipper. The portable generator gets a once over at those times also.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
Administrator

No snow-blower here -- all manual. We've got 130 feet of driveway and about the same of sidewalk. It is expected to snow again tomorrow here in CT, so I'll get another workout.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Plow guy for the main driveway and parking area and our private road - costing me a bundle this year. Use a snowblower to clear a bit around the garage and paths to house, propane tank and woodpile. We are in Fl now so DS is keeping those paths clear in my absence. While the snowblower stays in the garage year round, it is closer to the door now and will be at the back of the garage in the summer.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #10

throw out the snow blower... the bike should handle any problem.... but a V-Strom would be better (sorry... had to ....)
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We have had about 36" total this year so far, a bit above normal.
When we had about 12" at one time, I dragged out the snowblower, found the gas, and pulled on the cord well over 100 times !!
I wheeled it back into the garage, and in the cold, opened it up for the first time ever. Found the spark plug, took it out, and wiped it, scrapped it with a wire brush (it was all black with carbon) and sprayed some Mass Air Cleaner I had handy (which worked really well) on it.
Stuck it back in, put the machine together, said a prayer and it started right up

Again a lesson learned to take care of this in the fall and test it.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Live just outside of Boston!

In South Florida for the season so we have a plow guy come.

When I'm home I use my 1973 Ariens 36 inch "beast" that I inherited; complete with a walking cab, it goes through just about anything. It's huge, very powerful (7hp?) and still runs like new; starts each fall on the first crank.

Nowadays, all its bells and whistles are standard: electric start, differential drive, four forward/one reverse, tire chains etc but 40 years ago this was top of the line!

download.jpg Stock photo
Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since we live relatively close by, would prefer you don't tempt the snow by putting away your snow blower quite yet! Kind of like telescopes, it's always cloudy for at least a week after a new purchase.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am waiting for the day to put the snow blower away and take the bike out.... But until then I can at least enjoy this ...

We are just north of Boston and have had about 75 inches with another foot expected this weekend, But at least this weekend I will be away in Vegas!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
throw out the snow blower... the bike should handle any problem.... but a V-Strom would be better (sorry... had to ....)
You laugh but when I was immortal 22 years old I rode a Yamaha 650 cc in the snow just to see if it could be done. Yup, it can be done.