Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
We will never have to replace dishes for reason of wear. My DW loves to buy plates and dishes as a hobby. If we had a party with 25 guests, we would normally use paper plates anyway and eat outside, to save time on the cleanup later. That said, she has so may sets of dishes that we could easily seat 80 people. She has complete sets of fine china for 8, another set of fine china for 8 with only the dinner and salad plates, then the non-fine china sets...a Hawaiian motif set for 8, three 8 place sets of Japanese motif, two everyday sets of 16, and for the kids, we have two 8 piece sets of children's motif melamine plates.

Anyway, she loves having dinnerware for every occasion, and I love to cook...the problem is that we have used so much cupboard space in the kitchen for tableware that we don't have much room left for food or cooking tools. And, as I said, the only time we EVER have that many people over, it is for a poolside BBQ. So, there they sit in the kitchen, unused. It is a hobby she enjoys, so I've not complained about it. But she did say to me the other day that she wanted to get some Christmas motif tableware...and I did tell her that she had to find a new home for as many existing pieces of tableware as she wanted to buy, first, because we have no more room to keep them.

Hijack and tableware rant over.

R
Our wives must be related! Does your DW buy glasses too? Have you seen this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just moved into our retirement home, & opened the boxes of new white Corelle that we received for Christmas 2 year ago from our oldest daughter. I expect it to outlast us.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #43

Meadbh...Yup, I was in the IT industry for many years. I started in sales, and moved through sales management, services management, regional management, etc.

I saw HUGE differences between the personal habits, etc. of various vocations...sales, break fix folk, software professionals, management, outsourcing managers. It was quite pronounced between sales and software professionals.

My best advice, very early on in my career came from a VP sales-at a time when sales commissions in the industry were more substantial that they were later on. He told me that it is not what you make, it is what you keep that is important...and buy a small house in a very good neighbourhood. That advice paid off in spades for me during my career and enabled us to have a very comfortable FIRE at 59.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We have "fine" china (Fitz & Floyd Renaissance Black on Buff) that we got as a wedding gift. 12 16 place settings and every serving bowl, platter and whatnot that was available to match. We've been married for 33 years now, and we have NEVER used most of it even once. We've used a few dinner plates maybe a half dozen times, that's it. Tradition...

I want to sell it all, DW says NO!

No it is...
If she ever throws in the towel and agrees to sell, just let me know and be happy to make you an offer on those.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #45

Having raised a house of rambunctious kids, our dishes never got a chance to wear out - they were broken well before that . Rather that get upset about the breakage DW and just learned to use good looking but cheap, and instituted the rule "you break it, you clean it up, and pay a $1 fine to Mom and Dad". That did finance a few rounds of miniature golf.

But our real good china we've had probably since we got married 30 years ago (wedding presents plus DW added to it before we had kids), and was only used once or twice a year. Now with a temporary empty nest we have started ti use it it a little more often to entertain, but it it still in great shape.

Personally I find it tough to replace something as long as it is still functioning. We have a 20+ year old blender that I use to make various smoothie/shake/drink concoctions. Visually it doesn't look so hot but it works fine. Dw has talked about splurging for a KitchenAid blender, but I'm not in a rush, and then I start thinking "I don't want clutter, but I don't want to throw away a perfectly good blender".
Old 11-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of "stuff", how much of it do we really need? These photographs from China (where a lot of our "stuff" comes from) put it in perspective.

Chinese Families with All Their Stuff In A Single Photo By Huang Qingjun (12 pics) | Bored Panda
Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Just in my 25-ft motorhome, I think I still have a bit more than these people.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #48

That is enlightening. About the only time I had so little "stuff" was my first apartment - bed, dresser, kitchen table w/four chairs, couch, TV, and a donated coffee table. Oh, and someone else gave me a wobbly floor lamp. And of course the Yamaha XS-650 motorcycle in the living room.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

We are currently moving out of our two story 2,070 square foot home of 19 years into a 1,959 square foot single level home (downsizing of sorts). DW doesn't need the flight of stairs due to a medical condition.

Well, I could not believe what junk we have accumulated after all these years. Forget about sets of dishes, we have five (5) vacuums in various states of working condition, too much furniture for the newer house, at least 20 boxes of "stuff" in storage for the kids () and enough spare power, network, printer, cell phone, etc, cables for Walmart to sell.

Since I am very handy, my garage is taking the longest time to box up and move stuff, mostly tools and "raw materials". I now see the need for a separate workshop, but have not mentioned that yet.

Boy, this move has enlightened us! We are definitely adding to the local landfill. And the china, it's in some boxes somewhere.....
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #50

Looks like "stuff" means dinnerware.
Doesn't mean much to us... Hey... at our resale store, always several full sets of Mikasa, for $15 to $20... never or hardly ever used. Also, occasionally, sets of Noritake or Lenox for not much more... Go figure... In most cases, probably from estates, where the kids are living in a different time.
We've had our Corelle since 1970 or 1971, and it's still unchipped. My aunt and uncle both worked at Corning, and had an employee discount, so bought sets for all the extended families.
.................................................. ..................
That said, replacing stuff, is not in my genes... Repair, not replace... and rarely buy for getting the "latest", unless the latest is a huge leap forward, and the new item has much more value $$$-wise.

A good example is our cars... buying used @28,000 miles and 35,000 miles. Old... 1996, and 1998... Cadillac SLS and Lincoln Town Car. Love the luxury, power and size. I figured the actual cost per month for the two cars (since we bought them) , excluding oil changes, and license, and insurance fees, but including repairs... at a monthly cost per car of $111... including depreciation ie. the original cost.

Our Golf cart is a 1984 model, that we bought in 1990 for $1000. It looks as good as a 2013, which sells for about $6000. Bikes are top of the line classics, bought for $5 -$10 each... Tried the new ones, but like my 1987 Motobecane road bike and 1991 Offroad 352 (Trek) mountain bike much better.

When we do "replace" or upgrade.
Household goods... Almost never buy new. Just did a quick top of the head inventory of some Kitchen and cleaning "stuff"... Buy only items in top shape... next to new, and no one can tell the difference...
Resale shops. Some examples:

Hamilton Beach side open can opener $45 for $2
Hamilton Beach 10 speed blender $30 for $2
Red Devil Quick cleaner $20 for $1
Bissell Spot Lifter $45 for $2
Bissell Power Steamer $149 for $6.
Zwilling Henckels knife set $200+ for $10
Presto Knife sharpener $45 for $3
... just bought the greatest ice cream scoop for $.25

All in all super frugal... general rule of thumb is:
Nothing that looks "used".. OK if it needs cleaning
Never pay more than 10%, usually less
Know the brand
Check for missing parts
Plug in if necessary to check
Note: not to worry about missing instruction books... every item we've ever bought has manual available on-line.

The above is just the kitchen/cleaning stuff... Since I'm a gadget geek, I buy oddball stuff and fun electronics as a hobby... to see how they work, and to play with and fix... then recycle back to the resale and charity based shops. Oops.. one "new price... $299 for a 40" tv three years ago..

Tools- Chain Saws, Blowers, Mowers, Grinders, Pole saw, Drills, bits, Sawzall, and hundreds of hand tools... Only thing I ever bought new was a 125 pc top of the line socket/wrench set. the most I've ever paid on any tool (except as above) was $15 for an complete Dremel tool set.

DW buys decorative stuff of all kinds... (her max is less than 5%)

Shopping resale is a major hobby.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #51
Administrator

I must admit that after reading about Easysurfer's new vacuum cleaner, I am so tempted to replace my perfectly good Hoover Windtunnel vacuum cleaner with one like his.

My present vacuum cleaner is corded, needs bags, extremely heavy, and no matter how badly I treat it, it will probably still be running long after I have departed this mortal coil. It is 10-12 years old and still running like new. And still heavy.

His is cordless, bagless, and not very heavy at all, and despite his protests I don't think it is that expensive. I just can't bring myself to buy it when I already have a vacuum cleaner.

Maybe I can get Frank to use my vacuum cleaner for target practice.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Shopping resale is a major hobby.
+1

Have been learning the pure fun and adventure of this, since now we have more time and less $. It's a blast, especially when I find new stuff, either in the box or with the tags still on, for just $4-5. (But, of course, we only buy things that need replacing, as we are also trying to do serious down-sizing/purging of the closets, garage and basement.)

What a great way to stretch our dollars!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
at least 20 boxes of "stuff" in storage for the kids () ....
When we moved and also did a modest downsizing, we delivered all of the stored boxes to our kids. Out of the piles of debris delivered, they saved almost nothing. We had dragged that crap around through several moves. It was always "too precious" for them to get rid of and they didn't have the room "yet."
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
When we moved and also did a modest downsizing, we delivered all of the stored boxes to our kids. Out of the piles of debris delivered, they saved almost nothing. We had dragged that crap around through several moves. It was always "too precious" for them to get rid of and they didn't have the room "yet."
Our exact experience to date....
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I must admit that after reading about Easysurfer's new vacuum cleaner, I am so tempted to replace my perfectly good Hoover Windtunnel vacuum cleaner with one like his.

My present vacuum cleaner is corded, needs bags, extremely heavy, and no matter how badly I treat it, it will probably still be running long after I have departed this mortal coil. It is 10-12 years old and still running like new. And still heavy.

His is cordless, bagless, and not very heavy at all, and despite his protests I don't think it is that expensive. I just can't bring myself to buy it when I already have a vacuum cleaner.

Maybe I can get Frank to use my vacuum cleaner for target practice.
Just checked the UPS tracking. The vacuum cleaner is due for delivery today