Join Early Retirement Today

When Worlds Collide
Old 07-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #1

When Worlds Collide

Hey kids, time to play a game!

You too have recently slogged through a multitude of gas price threads such as this one and
this one
.* Likewise, the apolitical among us would rather poke fishhooks in our eyes than see another red state/blue state topic such as what we read here and here.* So howsabout we morph and combine, blend and fold? Why settle for steamed fish and boiled potatoes when you can enjoy a delectible bouillabaisse stew?

Let's begin!
1.* Study the last column, last page, of the state by state per capita energy consumption rankings here.* *Scroll to the far right of your screen and compare and contrast the hue and shade of, say, the top ten states and the bottom ten states.

2.* Google news any number of recent stories that predict that gas prices, in real terms, will double, treble, or even quadruple within the next 2-3 years.* Will that actually happen?* Will the seething yellow menace set aside their chopsticks and actually have the audacity to interfere with our right to hop in our F-350 to buy a carton of cigarettes?* Who knows!* Hey, if we did, we could all play with futures and retire early.* We wouldn't even have to marry a working wife!

Smoosh these two trends together, and whaddya get?* Holy Toledo!* The Revenge of the Blue States?* Mass Migration?* Political Re-alignments?* Everyone crashing at Ben's in Thailand for the End-Of-The-World moondance?

Pass the chablis.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: When Worlds Collide
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
... our right to hop in our F-350 to buy a carton of cigarettes?
Your rant was mildly amusing until you dis'd the F350.* *True, it is a gas hog, but anything that can carry 5000 lbs or tow 15000 lbs tends to consume more gas than your average Prius.* *I find it indespensible.* *And I love that they designed the interior to be washed out with a hose.* *

Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wash a pickup! Are you nuts!

Don't you know it is moral, possibly illegal(somewhere), and they don't - 'run rite' if you wash em.

A little spray primer on the rust spots is ok from time to time.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wash it!?!?!

No need.* Most of the yuppies racin' around in their 'Burbs, Expeditions, and 1/2T Crew Cabs never get them off the pavement.*
Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
Wash it!?!?!
Hey, the cab eventually fills up with all those empty cigarette cartons, so once in a while I have to hose it out so I can have room to sit down.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Hey, the cab eventually fills up with all those empty cigarette cartons, so once in a while I have to hose it out so I can have room to sit down.
You need yourself a shop-vac. That big mutha of mine will pull the paint of my ride. A guy could lose a limb using one of those things.......
Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There is something about driving a pick up truck - I don't know what it is.
Do I need it? Of course not. So why do I have it? Why does a dog lick its balls? Because he can!

I'm getting
21mpg - highway @ 65 to 70mph
18mpg city driving

Red 2000 Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 Automatic Sports Plus Package
31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip, 3.55 Gears, Trailer Tow Group, HD Package, Skid Plates, LineX Spray in bed liner; Added:Airaid air filter & heat shield, Flowmaster 3 chamber muffler, Steel Horse Torneau cover, front hitch, Autolite Double Platinum 3923 Plugs, Removed air horns from Throttle Boddy, added new TB bolts, Cool Tape around air filter and A/C tubes, Amsoil in: crank case, differential and tranfercase.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
There is something about driving a pick up truck - I don't know what it is.
Do I need it? Of course not.* So why do I have it?* Why does a dog lick its balls? Because he can!

I'm getting
21mpg - highway @ 65 to 70mph
18mpg city driving

Red 2000 Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 Automatic Sports Plus Package
31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip, 3.55 Gears, Trailer Tow Group, HD Package, Skid Plates, LineX Spray in bed liner; Added:Airaid air filter & heat shield, Flowmaster 3 chamber muffler, Steel Horse Torneau cover, front hitch,* Autolite Double Platinum 3923 Plugs, Removed air horns from Throttle Boddy, added new TB bolts, Cool Tape around air filter and A/C tubes, Amsoil in:* crank case,* differential and tranfercase.
Dodge Ram V-8 (5.9 liter) 3/4 ton. Loaded with bedliner and custom trim around
bed. Terrible mileage, but you can pull/tow about anything.

JG
Old 07-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No class, no class.

1994 GMC 4 banger Sonoma WITH air shocks(have carried 1200 lbs of frozen seafood), big aluminum colored toolbox* containing a least two rolls of duct tape among other things and an eyebolt mounted swivel dogchain for my pal, rusted no primer left passenger side fender, 5 speed, no A/C, two Maypop S10 junkyard tires/rims up front - I could go on.

247000 like new miles - mpg ? - who cares.

Oh and three pair summer weight Dickies coveralls - tan, grey, or blue to choose from - when I'm going out for a 'fancy' drive.

The 'women' drive the 1999 wussy Silverado auto/air V6 with all the metalflake paint left - and color coordinated camper shell.

Heh, heh, heh.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:09 AM   #10

1994 GMC 4 banger (5.9 liter) 3/4 ton Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 Automatic Sports 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip,carry 5000 lbs or tow 15000 lbs, all the metalflake paint left loaded with bedliner and custom trim blah blah, blah blah, BLECCHH.

This thread has gone so terribly wrong.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I feel inadequate. 1993 Nissan pickup. 4WD with 180,000 miles. Broken AC. Sufficient rust. Bed liner and cap. Currently full of 1 ton of sand for our pool installation.

Oh wait - I can redeem myself! 1990something Ford F700 dump truck with lift gate, 3 tone paint job, and mucho miles. New rims, but questionable brakes.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #12

so YOU'RE the dude who always tailgates my Prius??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
1990something Ford F700 dump truck with lift gate, 3 tone paint job, and mucho miles. New rims, but questionable brakes.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #13

Toyota Tundra 4X4, Salsa Red; loaded; Monster mud/snow tires (live in the mountains).* Great for getting to cabin on dirt roads(?) and slugging throgh snow; hauling toys around the state and hauling stuff.

Roads?.....we don't need no stinking roads!* 8)*

My other car is irrelevent.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2002, selectrack 4x4 with the 4.0 in line six. Power leather seats, so I guess that makes me the city slicker here!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

'98 Ford F-150 4.6 liter V8, 3.55 rear end with less than 50,000 miles, and who knows what kind of gas mileage it gets...never measured it. Has a few frayed areas in the cab where mice have sampled the carpet, seat covers, headliner, etc. Smells a little funky due to the combination of mouse droppings and mothballs I keep under the seats to try to ward off the little buggers.

Still has the original battery, coming up on 7 years in October. Don't know when it's going to go but it's hung in there so long it has become kind of a challenge to see just how long it will last.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
so YOU'RE the dude who always tailgates my Prius??
No. I'm the DUDETTE who tailgates you
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #17

2000 Green Honda Civic. AM/FM radio and mudflaps, 30-something MPG. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!11!! (I'm a loser, I know).

Old 07-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I can beat that; NO car currently.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
2000 Green Honda Civic.* AM/FM radio and mudflaps, 30-something MPG.* Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!11!!* (I'm a loser, I know).

Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #19

1997 Z3 2.6 liter - hauled 75 bags of 60# redimix (not all at once) and countless 2 x 4's (top down) last couple of months. *Home Depot employees always say "nice truck". *Still have to spend 20 bucks every once in a while to rent the HD truck to haul drywall. *
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #20

Quote:
1994 GMC 4 banger (5.9 liter) 3/4 ton Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 Automatic Sports 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip,carry 5000 lbs or tow 15000 lbs, all the metalflake paint left loaded with bedliner and custom trim blah blah, blah blah, BLECCHH.

This thread has gone so terribly wrong.
Impossible.* No thread can go wrong when you're jawing about cars and trucks.

'90 3/4T Chevy 4wd
5.7L - 3.73s
185k on the clock (needs a box, though, after getting hit by a '05 3/4T Ford.* Schmuck ran the stop sign)

'77 1/2T Chevy 2wd
5.7L
Much less drag than new with all the rust on the box and rocker panels;* Sheds unnecessary weight, too