Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the post, this reinforces my plans for ER next July (if you can consider 63 as ER). I won't, but I aught to copy and forward your post to my FA who wants me to work to 70.
OBXretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Imolder, nice to get a 10+ year older perspective. I just reached 66 yesterday and have noticed that some things I used to be interested have dropped off. For 18 years I was a regular windsurfer but the boards have been sitting in the garage for the last few years. It isn't so much the physical aspect, it is more the hassle. I don't feel like dragging the stuff out and rigging it up. Water skiing has taken a similar hit mainly, I think, because no one else wants to participate so I face a "hassle factor" getting someone to go out with me. On the other hand, DW and I ramped up cycling about 8 years ago from zero to 20-30 miles a day and that has not gotten old at all. Travel (particularly bike tours) has ramped up significantly and will probably stay up for the next decade or so. But my best guess is that in ten years or so we will start to ramp down some of the travel and may ride a bit less frequently. I hope we keep up riding for the most part until a health hit does us in. As for social activities, I hope to take more advantage of the "village" organization I am a member of and volunteer with. They offer a lot of activities (dinners, theater trips, book clubs, etc) that draw members in their 70s and 80s. I haven't been interested yet but hope membership will stay strong and those outlets will remain available as I age.Watching my 15+ year older siblings age I am pretty sure that my voracious reading will not drop off as I get older absent some drastic health problem like dementia.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for this insight. When DH and I met in 1997, I was 44 and he was 59. We found immediately that we traveled well together and for many years we went to Europe at least once a year. It helped that I was traveling enough on business that I was racking up loyalty program points/miles and was really good at maximizing their value (thanks to my friends on the Flyertalk boards!).

In a way it was a blessing that we had that age difference. I knew darn well that I couldn't assume DH would be up for wild and crazy expeditions at my (planned) retirement age of 65- he'd be 80. So, we found ways to work travel into the budget while I was still working.

He's 76 now and over the last few years the major trips have been hard on him. We fly to Europe only in Business Class- it just takes him too long to recover from being squashed into Coach. We schedule longer stays in one place rather than moving every couple of days. We've got a good rhythm in which we sightsee till mid-afternoon and then he puts his feet up in the room and I go out for a run or a swim, and then bring dinner back to the room. Still, on 4 out of our last 5 trips he's come back with a respiratory virus that's morphed into bronchitis or pneumonia and it takes a month for him to recover (with proper medical care). I retired in May and had really wanted to go to Australia/NZ next year but have decided it's too much. We'll likely return to Scotland, which we love.

I am SO glad we didn't postpone major travel till I retired. We have so many wonderful memories and hopefully time to make some more.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 42. My dad just had a stroke about 9 months ago at 59. It was relatively mild as these things go, but he still has vision and balance issues. Most of the activities he enjoyed are now very difficult if not impossible for him.

If I make it to 75 without a similar dramatic health event I'll consider it a huge win.

It's definitely changed my take on OMY. When I get close to FI, I'm not going to spend my very limited years trying to avoid a 2% risk of running out of money.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm only 45 so have a few years till 75. DF passed away at 80 after a 9 month cancer battle. The year before he competed in the senior olympics for the umpteenth time. I've never had his athletic abilities or interest but his example motivates me to avoid a sedentary lifestyle so I'll be able to be active in my 70's.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #26

Hell, at 37 I don't bounce back from runs, bikes, swims, etc. like I used to. Hopefully, my triathloning will help me cope with getting older because I'll be used to the flagging physical abilities well before 75! Great post. Great thread!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #27

Good observations imolderenu and I would say by my observation, your experience is what I see of some older folks around me.

I am only 2/3 of 75, but already feel the physical effects of age. I joke that I can still do all the same things as when younger, but it hurts twice as much and takes twice as long to recover. Hopefully this physical aging is a slow decline and not a sharp drop-off at a certain age.

I think one very key observation is to keep busy, both mentally and physically. Lot of truth in "use it or lose it". Exercising your mind and body are critical to keep them working well into later years.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Imoldernu, if it makes you feel any better, at age 66 I am about as you describe in many respects. Oddly, it doesn't bother me a bit and I am happier than ever before in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Health has been better than expected, although we take more "pills", and we're very aware of the vulnerablilities of aging.
Same here.

Quote:
Our social life stayed very busy, up until the age 75 anniversary, but now is slowing down rapidly. Not an unpleasant change, but we become kinder to each other, and less involved in going out and interacting with others of our age. (maybe a little more selfish, and less willing to go along with listening to the problems of others, or doing things that we don't enjoy, just because it's a 'group' activity.)
We seldom if ever have extended ourselves socially even when we were younger. I converse with people at the gym and listen to their problems and so on, but that is limited to the gym. He doesn't even do that much.

Quote:
Travel... We weren't world travelers, but we did many day trips, and week vacations. Now... sadly... much less interest. Long rides and time away from home comforts, lead to memories of "been there, done that!". This stay-at-home thinking wasn't expected. The afternoon nap isn't as easy to do when you're on the road.
I am so glad I don't have to travel any more. Long international trips do not appeal to me. We used to go on day trips in the car, but seldom do that any more either. It just doesn't seem worth the gas these days. We go for pleasure rides for an hour or so every afternoon right here in town and that seems to be enough for us. I suppose that uses some gas, too, but at least we don't have to battle traffic on the Interstate.

Quote:
Exercise... I still ride my bicycles and canoe, DW does "sit and be fit", and we both do "mall walking", but no regimen. We're in pretty good shape weight -wise, and with physical dexterity, but the arthritis that began 15 years ago, is creeping up, and accompanied by some peripheral neuropathy (for me), and some common but minor aging problems for DW. Jogging or senior triathalons are out.
You have me beat, here - - I don't ride a bicycle any more at all because I am afraid of falling; I am not as trim as you are and walking more than a half mile is not easy for me. Frank is trim, though, and he rides his bike frequently at age 60 and loves walking too. We go to the gym regularly and work out, and I feel like I am doing a lot more there than many women (and men!) my age at the gym. After my fall at the gym last October, I try to be careful about anything that might result in another fall.

Quote:
Mental acuity... Our favorite expression "between the two of us, we make one person". The brain still works fairly well as far as reasoning, and the deeper intellectual thinking parts, but the short term memory and the multitasking that was once natural and second nature, is fading rapidly.
The most annoying part for me is fishing for a name or word that I know perfectly well, but that doesn't surface for me right away. Other than that, I don't have any trouble with short term memory or multitasking (yet). I have never been able to separate two audio/verbal inputs at the same time, though. For example, if Frank is talking to me I must mute the TV or radio, or what I hear is a garbled, senseless amalgam of both. This incapability has been a lifetime condition for me. Other than that, multitasking is a breeze.

Quote:
Energy... The spirit is willing, but the body weak. Tasks that were once picked up and accomplished as they appeared, now require analysis, and planning. That, perhaps, is the one part of aging that is most difficult in which to adapt.
Hmmm. I do find myself wanting to be a couch potato more than previously, but that desire has been a lifetime condition that I have always had to fight. I don't attribute it to aging at all. On the other hand, I have been doing tasks by habit lately, and get a lot more pleasure out of developing these habits than I did when young. For example, every morning I clean the kitchen counters and sink, take out the trash, start the washing machine and dishwasher if necessary, and take my pills, all during the 4 minutes that it takes for my morning coffee to brew. Zoom! No planning required. Maybe this will get more difficult during the next nine years. Meanwhile, it's a good thing I don't have a Keurig or I wouldn't have 4 minutes to get things done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nice thread and great to hear from the younger members about their parents, etc and their successes and issues getting older.

I will turn 71 (what? ) very soon and still work part time (yes, I know I am nuts), but that keeps me MENTALLY active. Physically, even with my titanium hip implant, I can do most everything I did at a much younger age.

What I have noticed, especially since about 5 years ago, is my ability to bounce back from strenuous activities takes longer. For instance, recently I changed a bad axle shaft and all four wheel bearings on my German car and the next day, I was pretty stiff and had little desire to hop back out in the garage and tackle another knuckle buster job. Five years ago, that wouldn't have happened. My golf game is starting to su*k too!

Another change in the body has to do with joint stiffness. In the morning, my fingers have a hard time making a fist. It's like there are rubber bands holding them out. No pain, just stiffness. I suspect it's arthritis. The key though, is keep moving!

We live in a 55 and over community since last year and I really don't like it. It's small, about 100 single family homes, and a community association that cuts your grass (front only) as part of the monthly fee. What I don't like is seeing the large number of folks who are pushing walkers around the streets (good they are trying, though) and the lack of younger people being around. The place is like Orlando was before Disney World got built. The sidewalks are rolled up at 7 PM and the lights go out. I wish we were back in the old neighborhood, but DW likes it where we are. Maybe I'm just not ready for the change in lifestyle.

DW is a few years younger than me and has COPD. Not good. While the medications can help the breathing, what goes downhill is the ability to keep your cardio system at a high, or even moderate level. Frailness sets in and I can see that happening. Stamina drops also.

Well, for the youngsters here, this is what you have to look forward to, but it's not bad in comparison to some alternatives that don't need mentioning.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All of the above... generalities. In looking ahead, in your case... what do you see yourself doing when you are age 75? Things that you do NOW, and what you expect to be doing when you hit that 3/4 century mark?

-Travel
-Exercise
-Going out to eat
-Social groups/memberships/activities
-Reading - watching TV (passive)
-Computer interaction (active)
-Volunteerism - service to others
-Time with family
-Hobbies
-Time spent in planning... money, home, long term
-Time at home vs. away... #hours/day
-W*rk... paid or unpaid
-Where you'll be living
I just turned 40 so this is not something I spend much time thinking about. This is what I see myself doing at age 75:

-Travel: hopefully none! I often travel to please other people but I hate traveling. Hopefully I can use the "I am too old for this" card to get out of it.
-Exercise: my main form of exercise is walking/hiking. I really hope I can still enjoy those activities, though probably scaled back a little.
-Going out to eat: we only go out for special occasions right now, hopefully we can continue.
-Social groups: We are not very social and I don't see that changing - as long as DW and I can keep each other company that is. If I am single, then I have no idea what my social life would be like. I'd probably join a few clubs.
-Reading, watching TV: same as now.
-Volunteerism: same as now (I prefer to give money than my time)
-Time with family: I am really worried about that one. I enjoy spending time with my family, but the number of family members alive is dwindling fast. By the time I am 75, I may have only 1 sister and 1 niece left. And they live very far away!
-Hobbies: my hobbies have always evolved with my lifestyle, so who knows...
-Time spent in planning: probably much less than now. I'll probably have a vey conservative, very hands-off portfolio. I worry about being taken advantage off.
-Time at home vs. away: same as now, I spend quite a bit of my day at home already. I like it this way.
-W*rk: not if I can help it.
-Where you'll be living: Very hard to say. If I am still married to DW, probably somewhere in America. If it's just me, I'll move back to Europe to be closer to family. Hopefully, I will still be able to live independently in my own home. I'll probably live close to a large metro area.

Reading my answers again, I feel like the biggest risk is becoming socially isolated. Maybe I need to start working on that!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote

« YOLO | iCloud Leak »