Join Early Retirement Today

When you have been around this forum for a long time ...
Old 03-08-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just realized I have posted over 2000 times in this forum. I could have done on-line product evaluations to make $$$ instead. What a time wasted!

When you have been around this for a long time ....
  • You have seen the same topics too many times to wince at.
  • You know more about the fellow long time members than you know your relatives.
  • You know what things to post for mods to close a thread you don't like.
  • You have posted everything about yourself, your family members, your neighbors, your co-workers. You just hope you didn't reveal enough for someone to recognize you.

What are your list, comrades?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

** You know more about the fellow long time members than you know your relatives. **

considering MY ( living ) relatives that is an extremely good thing

** I could have done on-line product evaluations to make $$$ instead. What a time wasted! ***
and wasted extra time filing the taxes because you did

my list ?

i look back at all the time i could have had my mind numbed by public TV or the cash wasted by hiring over-hyped movies

so this forum is a happy trade-off time v. enlightenment

cheers !!!

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:37 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sometimes feel I do waste to much time on the computer could be doing better things.

I have learned al lot here with very knowledgeable people.

It is a social time for me because most of the people I know are still working.

It is fun to be around people with the same mind frame.

It has been interesting to learn about other people and their lives.

I have found out we really are still all about making money even after retirement.

I also have learned that a lot of the same topics and issues come up. I also know that new people find this great site each day and need the same help I did when I found it. So these people are the same as we were with some of the same questions and they need help. It isn't a problem for me to see the same questions at all.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #4

Well, I suppose we've all concluded that there is only one correct choice for the following retirement conundrums:
- pay off mortgage early or not
- early, FRA, or 70 for filing SS
- traditional pension or lump sum
- active or passive portfolio strategy
- and, likely most salient....how to properly cook a boiled egg

However, I have received sage and timely advice on this forum for many QOL choices, including (but not limited to), retirement, investing, travel, and DIY stuff. For that, I am indeed, very grateful.

On some of the lighter topics, I am often guilty of sophomoric, Eddie Haskell type comments. Said comments are not always gushingly welcomed, but as someone who is 60(+), the fourteen YO in me won't go away (DW confirms this most every day). So, I'll seek to elevate my game going forward; shooting for ~15 YO attitude/comments...
Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I sometimes feel I do waste to much time on the computer could be doing better things.

I have found out we really are still all about making money even after retirement.

I also have learned that a lot of the same topics and issues come up. I also know that new people find this great site each day and need the same help I did when I found it. So these people are the same as we were with some of the same questions and they need help. It isn't a problem for me to see the same questions at all.
+1 especially the last paragraph.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was away from this forum for about a year and a half, mostly due to taking time to resettling in a new location. I thought of it as a sabbatical. Removing the app from my mobile devices made it easy to do.

When I started revisiting I noticed many familiar posters (old timers), many new, some who seemed to have disappeared, and familiar topics/viewpoints. None of that is bad, but the more things change, the more...

[ADDED] I've also learned the power of the various ignore options available and how they can improve your experience when used very judiciously.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am always learning a few things on this forum. And it's a chance to show off share my mind boggling experiences with others.

But now I have decided it is time to leave the forum as I waste spend too much time on it.

So goodbye to all and best wishes.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm back. Could not hack the silence.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post

So true. I learn something new, even with repeated topics. I enjoy reading about travels, seeing the creative works of so many folks, learning and relearning about financial information.
I appreciate all of the knowledge, humor, and caring for others that I see on this forum. Great place to be!
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why wouldn't you be on this forum. There are very knowledgeable people who have guided me, albeit unknowingly, to make some very wise and profitable decisions before and during our retirement.

People are nice and they will answer your questions without reservation.

Just love this forum and the people on it.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I came here 12 years ago to learn everything I could about retirement. I’ve learned a lot and continue to learn something new from this forum every day. And having fun at the same time.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

For a while, I'd ignore certain posters comments but now "if I'm interested in a thread" I'll read everyone's comments. I've found I'll often learn from those I strongly disagree with or at least gain an appreciation of different POV's.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've found I'll often learn from those I strongly disagree with or at least gain an appreciation of different POV's.
+1

And we, as a society, need A LOT more of this.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

** You have a good feel which posts will get Porkied and by which mod **
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I came here 12 years ago to learn everything I could about retirement. I’ve learned a lot and continue to learn something new from this forum every day.
+1

Not only that, but various tips from this forum have saved me some significant money and time over the years. Another nice aspect of this forum is that it has a higher percentage of intelligent people on it than any other forum I have found, at least among those devoted to topics that presently interest me. OK, Bogleheads appear to be pretty smart too, but this forum is more fun and interesting to me.

I wish I could get F to read here and contribute more often. He only posted 20 times here, mostly about his ham radio hobby, and he has not posted here at all in the past 7 years. Instead, he spends his time on a ham radio forum conversing with idiots. Which is not to say that all hams are idiots, but many on that forum are and have no interest in the technical aspects of ham radio. It's hard to respect their intelligence when they'd rather regard their radio as an appliance and "black box", than to talk about what's inside and why it works like it does.

I also post on several forums devoted to topics like weight loss and video gaming, as well as general forums like Reddit, but post here the most (obviously!).

I do not think I have been around here a long time, compared with members like REWahoo, Nords, and many others who were here long before I was. You know who you are. In my case, better late than never.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
....I do not think I have been around here a long time, compared with members like REWahoo, Nords, and many others who were here long before I was. You know who you are. [emoji4] In my case, better late than never.

I think that you and the rest of the old timers were here when you were toddlers.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We all adapt over time.

Where I might have weighed in on common topics much more often years ago, I pass more often now, someone usually shares what I would have anyway. I still worry about newbies being misled, but I let it go more often now.
  • You get to know exactly what regulars will say on many subjects.
  • Who likes to argue, whether they know anything or not?
  • Who sees everything as black or white?
  • Who the “gadflies” are?
  • Who’s thoughtful, and not?
  • Who some of the experts are on given topics?
  • Who has a good sense of humor, and those who just think they do?
It’s up to each of us to spend as much or as little time here as it’s worth to each of us.

And like others have said, the non retirement advice is often as valuable as our core topic.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #18

I haven't been here a long time...

it just feels that way...
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
  • Who likes to argue, whether they know anything or not?

• Who has a good sense of humor, and those who just think they do?
I suppose you think that last one is funny, eh?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I do not view the forum each day, every time I will learn something new or be reminded of something. Great place.

Six years ago this forum was a godsend. Although I ultimately decided to wo#k part time, the peace that you all brought to me is never forgotten.
Cheers to al.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote