Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still have a large collection of 33 1/3's & 45's.....and I think we still have a few 78's stored away somewhere. I always loved playing records on the wrong speed....it didn't matted if they played toooo fast or waaay tooo slooooow....it was always a great rainy (or snowy) day pass time!

Those were the days.....Alan Sherman's "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda"....and "Rat Fink"......Loren Green singing "Bonanza", and "Ringo" on the flip. Also the Woodstock multi-record set....and Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" album!!! Jethro Tull's "Aqualung". And 45's of Nat King Cole, Eddy Arnold......

I also still have loads of 8-tracks, as well as a working 8-track player hooked up in my stereo system......and a couple of portable 8-track players too. Add in 4, dual cassette decks.....2 portable...2 in home stereo systems. I sold my reel-to-reel deck...never used it much.

I've been wanting to get one of those all-in-one players....CD, cassette, vinyl....but every time I seriously consider it, I put it off 'cause I'm too cheap!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

When you KNOW you are old...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When you KNOW you are old...

Last week I was having a beer with an old buddy at a bar/grill and we were talking college football. A couple of girls heard us and joined in. Both probably in their late 20's. About the time I started feeling a little younger and confident, the yes sir no sir replies started. Back to reality.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
.... A couple of girls heard us and joined in. Both probably in their late 20's. About the time I started feeling a little younger and confident, the yes sir no sir replies started. Back to reality.
I love the atmosphere in stores that hire 20 and 30-somethings until they say, "oh, today is discount day." I pretend to not realize what discount they mean until I check the receipt later to see they gave me the senior discount even though I'm not old enough yet. I knew I was getting older when those young'ins stopped IDing me.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last week I was having a beer with an old buddy at a bar/grill and we were talking college football. A couple of girls heard us and joined in. Both probably in their late 20's. About the time I started feeling a little younger and confident, the yes sir no sir replies started. Back to reality.
Hey, they might have been sweet on you. I sometimes say yes Mam to someone in her 40s, just to stir the bucket.

Ha
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I love the atmosphere in stores that hire 20 and 30-somethings until they say, "oh, today is discount day." I pretend to not realize what discount they mean until I check the receipt later to see they gave me the senior discount even though I'm not old enough yet. I knew I was getting older when those young'ins stopped IDing me.
haha- a few days ago I got ID'd. On the bus to be sure I really was 65. Once I didn't have my pass and got ID'd. I just took off my hat and showed him my gray hair. Case closed!

Ha
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I pretend to not realize what discount they mean until I check the receipt later to see they gave me the senior discount even though I'm not old enough yet.
If you were really offended you could have asked that they take their money back...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frig....I was in a grocery store the other day on senior day. The girl looked up at me and automatically rung up the discount. Senior day here is 65 and over.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Frig....I was in a grocery store the other day on senior day. The girl looked up at me and automatically rung up the discount. Senior day here is 65 and over.
If you were really offended you could have asked that they take their money back...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I didn't want to embarrass her.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_in_tampa View Post
let's not forget the stacking gizmos for 45s - you'd need an adaptor to snug up the big center holes of the 45, and when the needle arm got to the end of the record it would retract, the next 45 in the stack would tumble down and the needle would move to the beginning of the track.

Or not. It might miss the record altogether or start 15 seconds into the song, or just jam. And the unforgettable sound of a warped record, kind of like a drunk singer.
?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ethical question: Should I mention I'm not yet 60 when offered a discount?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You shouldn't be asked, that's rude and potentially insulting. If they think you qualify you should be automatically given the discount.

On the other hand, you can always ask, "Can I get a Sr. discount?" You aren't saying you qualify (and you may since some start at age 55), you are only asking if they will give you the discount...

Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
H*ll no, take the discount and try not to smirk. It will certainly cover the sales tax. Laugh all the way to the bank for me.

Added later - I have jet black hair with only a little salt n peppa at the temples. I'm half tempted to go buy a solid grey wig, some cheater half glasses, flash my real AARP card and rack up those discounts, too. My local sales tax is 8.25%. so if I get maybe a 10% discount for mileage, I could take the difference and invest it. No guilt here - store markup is excessive to begin with.

But am I brassy enough to actually do this?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Look at it this way...today's cashiers can't do the simple math for change unless the computer tells them the answer, correct?
If the cashier sez you get a discount, who are you to argue ?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #35

Quote:
?
Well, it is not a Fibonacci series.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
?
Are we going for 8 track here? A lady need not give her age, but I would never take you for 78.

Love the old line from um, 1978: those born in 45 will be 33 in 78.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Sorta like asking a fat woman if she's pregnant.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #38

I'll take a senior discount anytime some one offers it to me!!! If they think I look like I qualify....so what! I know how old I really am, and don't give a flyin' rip what they think!

BTW....a 'senior' coffee at Hardee's is only 39.....and ya get free refills!!! I KNOW!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I'll take a senior discount anytime some one offers it to me!!! If they think I look like I qualify....so what! I know how old I really am, and don't give a flyin' rip what they think!

BTW....a 'senior' coffee at Hardee's is only 39.....and ya get free refills!!! I KNOW!!!
That's the spirit. See my disguise idea a few posts back (#33).
Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Let's not forget the stacking gizmos for 45s - you'd need an adaptor to snug up the big center holes of the 45, and when the needle arm got to the end of the record it would retract, the next 45 in the stack would tumble down and the needle would move to the beginning of the track.
Until we became audiophiles and then the very thought of stacking was anathema. Gotta hold those records by the sides, special cleaning kits (although that was probably declasse for the real fanatics). I understand there are some hold outs that still cling to vinyl as the best way to get true sound. Probably a few around here

Edit: PS: forgot about Macintosh amps. Common, fess up if you still cling to tubes for warm sound.