Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
This thread got me thinking about my 8 track tape player in my car during high school. I had to keep a matchbook cover nearby to jam against the side of the tape sometimes to keep it playing. Did you ever take an 8 track tape apart? I did and am amazed the crazy things worked at all:confused:
My friend runs a site called 8 Track Heaven. Follow the links to the diagrams showing how they work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I bought a used car in '07; it has a CD player; can't imagine ever using it.
Detroit always takes years to keep up to date. I remember buying a Bronco in 1987, five years after CDs came out and a CD player was not an option. Had to go aftermarket. Now I am looking for something that will allow me to play an iPod without the radio transmitter. Anyway, glad that they got it right by 2007

Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I just know some of these days one of my nieces is going to ask me not only why I don't switch to broadband but why it's called "dial"-up when you access the Internet over the phone line.
They will ask what a phone line is.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I moved from the Bay Area to Seattle my mom came down to help me pack and drive. On the trip somewhere or other we stopped for dinner. As we read the menus, the conversation went something like this:

Mom: Hmmm, what will I have. This one sounds good, but it's kind of expensive.
Me: Mom, there's a discount if you're over 55.
Mom: Where does it say that?
Me: Right down here. (pointing)

Moral: if you want the discount, bring someone with you who can still see small print. I'll have to go back when I'm 55 and see if I can still read it, or maybe they've figured out by this time (going on 30 years later) to use bigger than 8-point print for the senior discount info.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #65

Nick, our runner, had his last day at the office yesterday. He's maybe 20 and is working on an ambulance crew while studying to be a fireman/paramedic.

I asked him if he had to make ambulance calls to a lot of old people. He said they picked up one old lady whose id said she was born way back in 1924. He was surprised that she could still walk on her own at that age.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been told that not that many years ago, telephones actually had dials on them!

Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I've been told that not that many years ago, telephones actually had dials on them!

Mike
I actually have one in our guest room, authentic bell system rotary. Most guests prefer to use their cell phones. One actually asked what that thing was.

Now if i can just find a wall mounted crank, phone for the party line. 2 rings are us.

Then add a switchboard with patch cords. Maybe that would be overkill.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #68

I got a record player when I was 8 or 9 - was a small thing which only played one record at a time - meant mainly for 45s - then my brother thought he could use it as a potter's wheel - sigh - I still am not amused by that....:-)
Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nick, our runner, had his last day at the office yesterday. He's maybe 20 and is working on an ambulance crew while studying to be a fireman/paramedic.

I asked him if he had to make ambulance calls to a lot of old people. He said they picked up one old lady whose id said she was born way back in 1924. He was surprised that she could still walk on her own at that age.

This story is about 8 years old. I have a friend who is a pediatric cardiologist. He was given and ECG to look at, born on XX,XX,99. He looked at it for a while and decided "I don't know what's wrong, but this is one sick baby". He asked for a full history and DOB was 1899.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I already have one...it's an old comfy thing!
I already have a couple of those too! My favorite old boss (may he rest in peace), always wore one, so we refer to them as "Al hats".

I have a couple of caps that state that fact....one says "RETIRED" in large white letters on blue, and the other one is my "Union Retiree" cap. Normally, they'll see that, and automatically give me a senior discount, 'cause they figure that I'm an old retired fart on fixed income! Whatever! I won't argue with them about it!!!
I am seriously gonna do this at the local dollar store I frequent.
Gear : Bucket ("Al" ) hat, Ben Franklin cheater glasses, and my AARP card.

Last one to get a discount in disguise is a rotten egg!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Yakers----what equipment are you using for your recording conversions??--thanks
Got one of those ion turntables that goes into the computer via usb. They provide a program EZ Audio which transfers the files into itunes. Pretty good sound. If the records are good then I have not found filters to be necessary.
I had an earlier turntable that had a built in booster amp and imput via the microphone port, didn't work so well for me.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another telltale giveaway of age came during a staff meeting a few years ago. One of our senior staff just made an an offhand comment that really struck gold.

He said, "Did you ever notice old people sigh when they sit down".

This came after all the oldsters had their seats.

Now that was our last secret and he had to give it away.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
That's a good one.

A related observation from just this week: I probably don't sigh when I sit down, but after sitting a while at dinner or in the car, when I get up I definitely am stiff and always give off one of those vague prolonged "gotta stretch" noises, like a throaty "oooooohhhh." Especially on days where I've jogged earlier in the day.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #74

I saw one of those lists that tells you you're old if you remember (and I do) when:

1. Car headlight dimmer switches were on the floor.
2. Telephones had dials and the only one in the house was in the living room.
3. TV's did not have remote controls.
4. Color TV was new.
5. Windshield wipers slowed down when going uphill.
6. "Made in Japan" meant the item was junk.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
That's a good one.
A related observation from just this week: I probably don't sigh when I sit down, but after sitting a while at dinner or in the car, when I get up I definitely am stiff and always give off one of those vague prolonged "gotta stretch" noises, like a throaty "oooooohhhh." Especially on days where I've jogged earlier in the day.
Guilty on both going down and coming back up again. Our kid knows that a great way to get off to a bad start is to wait until one of us parents has just assumed the sitting position and then call out to us "Mom/Dad, could you come take a look at this?"

Only if it involves fires, floods, or blood...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
When the same dishes you ate off of as a kid start turning up in antique stores? Happened to me before I was 50. (We had the aqua ones.)
Definition of antique....An antique is defined by an item's age. Although the U.S. government considers any item over 100 years old to be an antique, most collectors use 50 years as a benchmark

So, I'm officially an antique on my way to becoming a geezerette with the spunk of a teenager. Hmmmm.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Another telltale giveaway of age came during a staff meeting a few years ago. One of our senior staff just made an an offhand comment that really struck gold.
This came after all the oldsters had their seats.
Now that was our last secret and he had to give it away.
Related question...Warning: The golfers here are gonna hate me for this one.

Do you INHALE or EXHALE when you swing a driver [golf club]?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I knew I was old, or looked old, about 20 years ago when I was living in NJ. A guy friend and I were playing tennis at a large tennis complex attached to a local university when the court next to us became vacant and then immediately filled by two beautiful coeds. (No this will not sound like a Penthouse Forum letter)

Things were looking up when one of these lovelys miss-hit a ball onto our court and I called time to retrieve it at the same time as this gal bent over and displayed beautiful cleavage to me. I beat her to the ball and then tossed it to her with my sexiest smile and she said these terrible words "Thank you SIR"......

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #79

You know you're old when you start looking for quietness in the cars you consider buying.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #80

How many of you old timers remember watching Andy's Gang on TV?

I loved Froggy!