When you KNOW you are old...

Yesterday, I went to the Nursing Home to visit my mom. There was an employee leaving just in front of me, who had opened the secure door. As he held it for me, he asked (never having seen me before) "Is it ok for you to come out?" He was serious. I laughed and told him it was a tad early for me to be committed. Maybe I am old.

If you lost some essential tracks check out YouTube. There are tons of songs on there - some pretty well recorded (for our degraded old folks' hearing). I use Vixy Converter BETA to convert the sound portion to MP3 and then move it into ITunes (Vixy has a web page that does the same thing but it doesn't always work). I don't think it is illegal if you are not distributing the song -- just time shifting. :cool:
Excellent, thanks.

That might also work a lot easier for converting the vinyl, too. It's possible that I won't be interested in moving every single track of a band's fourth album*...

*That's what we geezers call the protective wrappers that audio recordings used to come in. You young whippersnappers think of them as "CD cases", "jewel boxes", or maybe "playlists"-- eh, hang on there a minute while I finish hiking up my pants...

You know you are old when your favorite actors/actresses are all dead, such as Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Audrey Hepburn, and your favorite songs are all hits of the 50s and 60s.

You know you're old when you gleefully show up to date with a "Ph.D." student only to find that she's 22 years old and just got into grad school. She essentially is a fresh college grad.

You know you're old when you were born the year after the first space satellite was launched, sparking the start of the Cold War, and were in 1st grade when the first man walked in space. You can also be proud to be a Space Age baby and know that you have personally witnessed one of the most rapid worldwide technological explosions known to humankind since the Industrial Revolution. :cool:
and

You know you're old when you gleefully show up to date with a "Ph.D." student only to find that she's 22 years old and just got into grad school. She essentially is a fresh college grad.
I'm sorry, was there a complaint in there? Because it doesn't sound like much cause to be grumpy!! So what if she has no idea who "Reagan" was...

When 55 yr old chicks start calling you Pops - your remaining ER yrs are numbered.

:rolleyes: :angel:

heh heh heh - at least I still have my curmudgeon certificate. ;)

Is that a problem?

You know you are old when your favorite actors/actresses are all dead, such as Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Audrey Hepburn, and your favorite songs are all hits of the 50s and 60s.

Steve McQueen is dead? - Damn, I AM old.

I'm sorry, was there a complaint in there? Because it doesn't sound like much cause to be grumpy!! So what if she has no idea who "Reagan" was...

Wow, for a guy with a college-aged daughter, you're pretty open minded. No, it wasn't a complaint. It just shows that I'm getting up there because when I heard Ph.D. student, I thought, "Oh, 28 or maybe 30, a young chick I can date."

You know you're old when you were born the year after the first space satellite was launched, sparking the start of the Cold War, and were in 1st grade when the first man walked in space.

I'd say you're young. Some of us were in school when Sputnik was launced and watched the first moon landing on a TV in a bar! Whether or not we were quite 21 is another matter.

I saw one of those lists that tells you you're old if you remember (and I do) when:

1. Car headlight dimmer switches were on the floor.
2. Telephones had dials and the only one in the house was in the living room.
3. TV's did not have remote controls.
4. Color TV was new.
5. Windshield wipers slowed down when going uphill.
6. "Made in Japan" meant the item was junk.

1. I remember my dad got his first car in 1947, a Chevrolet Fleetline, gunmetal gray. Starter button was on the floor. You pushed on it with your right foot cause the left foot was on the clutch.
2. The phone in our living room didn't have a dial. You picked up the receiver and an operator came on the line to find out who you wanted to call. Just like the Andy Griffin Show. "Hey, Sarah, get my brother Bob."
3. Got our first TV when I was a sophmore in high school. Ran all the way home after school--couldn't wait to see it.

At our New Year's Eve party, someone thought we were 11 years younger than we are. They will be invited back next year.

Steve McQueen is dead? - Damn, I AM old.

McQueen died relatively young at the age of 50, in 1980. He would be a real geezer if he lived till today.

I always wanted to be like him when I grew up, mainly because he was sooo cool. Just found out today from the Web that there were rumors that he was a heavy drug user. That would be disappointing.

Anyway, anybody else has seen McQueen, an avid motorcyclist, in "On any sunday", the documentary on motorcycle riding?

And by the way, both McQueen and Brynner died of lung cancer, being heavy smokers. Smoking was cool then too!

PS. Of course I don't look anything like McQueen.

Public Highschool Diploma?

PhD=Piled higher'n Deeper.
angel.gif
or learning more about less and less.
grin.gif
aka a pretty damn good accomplishment. Especially in the hard sciences, physics etc. A bunch of those folks I worked with for many years, especially geology, math, marine biology and so on.

Back on topic: On the you know you are old bit, saw a cartoon today about knowing you are [-]a plugger[/-] old when you remember that your annual wages were lower than current cost of medical insurance. No, I'm not going to adjust for inflation.
tongue.gif

In my case it is definitely true. In 1966 first job paid $3607 for the year. Info from Social Security statement, otherwise I would not remember. Nowadays health insurance premium 6888 per year.

McQueen died relatively young at the age of 50, in 1980. He would be a real geezer if he lived till today.

I always wanted to be like him when I grew up, mainly because he was sooo cool. Just found out today from the Web that there were rumors that he was a heavy drug user. That would be disappointing.

Anyway, anybody else has seen McQueen, an avid motorcyclist, in "On any sunday", the documentary on motorcycle riding?

And by the way, both McQueen and Brynner died of lung cancer, being heavy smokers. Smoking was cool then too!

PS. Of course I don't look anything like McQueen.
That's one of the few really good motorcycle movies. I keep a copy in my library.

That's Harvey Mushman in my avatar.

(snip)
Back on topic: On the you know you are old bit, saw a cartoon today about knowing you are [-]a plugger[/-] old when you remember that your annual wages were lower than current cost of medical insurance. No, I'm not going to adjust for inflation.
tongue.gif

In my case it is definitely true. In 1966 first job paid $3607 for the year. Info from Social Security statement, otherwise I would not remember. Nowadays health insurance premium 6888 per year.
I call that "you know you're in trouble". I knew I was in trouble when I realized that my parents paid more the last time they bought a car than they paid the first time they bought a house...and then remember what I paid the first time I bought a house! And I really don't want to think about the fact that that car was bought more than ten years ago :eek:

I call that "you know you're in trouble".

The health ins. cost is not trivial, as it is for an idividual post COBRA policy, without pre-existing exclusions. The alternative(s) are far less palatable, since by age 61, which I am, one probably had stuff happen that would exclude all but one or two rare illnesses.

All in all given the circumstances it is a darn good deal. Though cheaper would be better, good luck finding a provider in a rural area who is willing to treat you for $9.99 per visit. ($9.99 is for the conceptual impact of low cost care, not reality)

I remember that, very good.

Are you a motorcyclist, Khan? Would not surprise me if you are, or were.

Back
Top Bottom