Join Early Retirement Today

When you KNOW you are old...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

When you KNOW you are old...

Earlier today I was meeting with a group of young pharmacists, social workers, nurses, etc., average age maybe 28 or 30. At one point it was clear that someone was way ahead of the group and needed to slow down.

So I said something like, "Whoa - hold upa minute. You're on 78 RPMs and I'm on 33 and a third." I saw all the faces go blank, and then the awkward silence. I burst into laughter, realized how ridiculous I must have sounded to those kids, and apologized for using a VERY old reference.

So any of you under-40 types, would you have know what I was referring to?

I imagine I've dated myself many times by using old-fashioned expressions, but that one squashed the conversation faster than any I can remember. I have to start paying more attention to the generation gap.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in my mid-thirties and get the reference. I only remember playing a lot of records from when I was under 10, but they were still popular in secondhand music shops partway through high school.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

At my 34 years of age, that's an easy reference. My favorite record I owned was one of The Muppet Movie.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
I'm in my mid-thirties and get the reference. I only remember playing a lot of records from when I was under 10, but they were still popular in secondhand music shops partway through high school.
In neighborhoods like mine, vinyl is back; albums and bigholes and even old 78 rpm shellacs. Many shops sell them.

I think any young hipster would know exactly what you mean. BTW, remember how much fun it was to take an 33 1/3 LP and make it into a Chipmunks song by going at 78?

Ha
Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mid thirties and I got it.
Parents had collection of LPs 33 1/3 and few singles with 45 RPMs.
Never seen anything 78 RPMs except for museum.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

this is interesting reading about recording media history.
History of Vinyl*-*The Vintage Record
CDs came into vogue in the early 1980s, after the LaserDisc had some limited success. That's only 28 years ago.
I'm 50 and I know what a grammaphone is, circa 1880s.
You're not old, your audience is just oblivious to history.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
BTW, remember how much fun it was to take an 33 1/3 LP and make it into a Chipmunks song by going at 78?
Ha
YES! My older brother just about killed me when he caught me using his turntable. The older Beatles albums played at 78 RPM were a riot.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm their age(29) and only vagely new what you were talking about(I knew it was music related). I've never personaly used a record in my life but have several DJ friends most of whom still use records
Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I STILL have a DOUBLE cassette deck in my basement, ala "boom box". It has "2x high speed dubbing" and "Dolby noise reduction" too..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
this is interesting reading about recording media history.
History of Vinyl*-*The Vintage Record
CDs came into vogue in the early 1980s, after the LaserDisc had some limited success. That's only 28 years ago.
I'm 50 and I know what a grammaphone is, circa 1880s.
You're not old, your audience is just oblivious to history.
Agree. My contry cousins had no electricity when I was a boy. We played music on something called a Victrola. You cranked it (I suppose to wind a spring) and used a fairly big steel needle. The sound encoded in the record grooves had no electronic amplification, just came out through a big cone which functioned as a megaphone.

The music was great-Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Hank Williams and a lot of hillbilly music that I don't remember. Mostly about pain and attempts to loose it through alcohol, Jesus, and women.

Ha
Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A related expression: "Like a broken record".
Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
A related expression: "Like a broken record".
Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap> Oh.. you mean like <snap>

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

At the end of side 1 of the James Gang's Yer' Album, their first release, it says "turn me over - turn me over..."

At the end of side 2, it's "play me again - play me again..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I only count my years in the USA i'm only 43! That was the start of a new life and HI FI (that is High Fidelity) for the young'uns.

In that spirit my HIFI stup has:
Single play turntable.
Record player with changer for 45s and 33 1/3s
8 track
Reel to reel deck.
Dual cassette w/ high speed dubbing.
1st Generation Mosfet Amplifier.

Most visitors marvel at the "antiques"

I did sell the "electron tube" tuners and amplifiers. Yes, I do use zip cord for speaker wire.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well, I was under 40 once.... I know all about the 78's and 33 1/3. I love listening to those records except when it gets to the "fryin' chicken" part.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, I was under 40 once.... I know all about the 78's and 33 1/3. I love listening to those records except when it gets to the "fryin' chicken" part.
My grandad has a working Victrola, and used to "crank up" those scratchy 78's after a hard day of haying and a little whiskey.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My grandad has a working Victrola, and used to "crank up" those scratchy 78's after a hard day of haying and a little whiskey.......
A working Victrola, was she pretty too?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Let's not forget the stacking gizmos for 45s - you'd need an adaptor to snug up the big center holes of the 45, and when the needle arm got to the end of the record it would retract, the next 45 in the stack would tumble down and the needle would move to the beginning of the track.

Or not. It might miss the record altogether or start 15 seconds into the song, or just jam. And the unforgettable sound of a warped record, kind of like a drunk singer.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Some of you people are really old...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I forget which speeds my Fisher Price player played on. I'm sure I mostly played 33's at 78 though a la chipmunk.

These days, if you want to talk about vinyl to the younger crowd, just mention that you are gonna drop it on the ones and twos.

I got the reference, but I also DJ'd at a radio station for a bit and did a little scratchin and spinnin on the ones and twos myself. (sub-30 year old here)