Where are the people coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this little place called Magnolia get such reputation?

Surely, there are a lot of little towns like this in Texas, and many would be worse.

Oh believe me, there are. :D

People from places like Houston, or Dallas have a completely different environment and perspective than someone who grew up in Magnolia.

AFAIK Magnolia did not have much of an economic base at all, at least not years ago when I lived in Texas. Many had the perception that while pretty to drive through, it was poverty stricken, quite wretched, isolated little town out in the rural countryside. My perception was that to live in Magnolia, would be to live a very hard life. And please, if I am wrong about that, then someone should correct me! I really don't know what I am talking about except that is what everyone told me back then. I never lived there, or stopped to get gas there if I could have even found a gas station.

I also want to add that these Texans who grew up in places like Magnolia, working hard and striving to better their lots in life, are good people, absolute salt of the earth. I guess this is part of what makes Texas, Texas.

How does this little place called Magnolia get such reputation?

Surely, there are a lot of little towns like this in Texas, and many would be worse.

Cut N Shoot, Texas is about 10 miles from me. It even has a post office!;)

Reactions: jj
It appears this will be the place to relocate to when Houston goes below sea level and is under 20 feet of water. Hopefully we are safe in north Texas:LOL:.

Where we are is 144 feet above mean sea level. Good for a while yet! Magnolia is at 272 feet (much safer).

Where we are is 144 feet above mean sea level. Good for a while yet! Magnolia is at 272 feet (much safer).

That would be a mountain top, here in Louisiana! I live at 3.4 feet below mean sea level.

That would be a mountain top, here in Louisiana! I live at 3.4 feet below mean sea level.

We may be a bit higher, but no ski resorts! :D

As we know, Houston can "go under" if we get enough rain, like 55" during Harvey!

Oh by the way they did say that RTE 45 is going to be improved to six lanes from Houston to Huntsville .
You (edit: or whoever called it RTE 45) must not have lived around here very long... It's called I-45, not RTE 45. :) Some will call it 45 North (or 45 South), or even highway 45, or the Dallas Freeway (when heading north) or the Galveston Freeway (when heading south after downtown Houston) but never RTE 45. :)

Also "IMO" saying "improve and Houston" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. I'm sorry to report that Houston is so far gone it can't be improved. It can probably still get worse but not improved.

Last edited:
You must not have lived around here very long... It's called I-45, not RTE 45. :) Some will call it 45 North (or 45 South), or even highway 45, or the Dallas Freeway (when heading north) or the Galveston Freeway (when heading south after downtown Houston) but never RTE 45. :)

Also "IMO" saying "improve and Houston" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. I'm sorry to report that Houston is so far gone it can't be improved. It can probably still get worse but not improved.

A least he didn’t call it ‘the 45’ [emoji4]

I call it the worst damn congested, always under construction freeway of all time. That is, until I drive on I-35 and am reminded there’s always something worse.

A least he didn’t call it ‘the 45’ [emoji4]

I call it the worst damn congested, always under construction freeway of all time. That is, until I drive on I-35 and am reminded there’s always something worse.
I-35 can sure get pretty bad (especially between San Antonio and up to the north side of Austin) but I think I-45 will "usually" win the prize... I've lived in Texas all my life and I can't remember a time when some parts of I-45 in the Houston area were not under construction. And I'm not talking about "patching holes in the road". I'm talking about multiple major road project(s) often going on at the same time.

Everything is bigger in Texas, even the road construction and traffic congestion. Of course if you want to see a big highway mess, check out I-10 in West Houston (a.k.a. The Katy Freeway).... It's up to 26 lanes near beltway 8, the last time I checked.

It's no wonder why Houston floods so easily. It's just about covered in concrete.

Last edited:
Magnolia Texas is not a poor area any more , it is growing right into The Woodlands . With the new Aggie Highway going through will only enhance that area.
We live north of Montgomery near a little town called Richards . Fifteen years ago land was 1600.00 an acre Now it is 11,000.00 . Heck we have a post office one school , K through high school . Now we are getting a Truck Stop and a Burger King on Rte.30 at Roans Prairie . Truckers come through our poor little county in droves to go around Houston and avoid 45. Our privacy is slowly being eroded. I still love driving the country roads in the Mustang .
The old East Texas myth is slowly leaving .

Just looked up Cut N Shoot. It's charming, compared to Terlingua, Tx.

Agreed...... Cut N Shoot has over 1,000 residents while Terlingua has 58. Plus, Terlingua is over 2,000 feet above sea level while Cut N Shoot is just over 150 (or so).

Cut N Shoot is on the bus line too.,

"The Woodlands" has been a very nice area of the northern greater Houston area for quite some time. So, like Dallas, it appears the rich are still moving north.

A million would come close to buying my entire cul-de-sac.
No hurricanes, no torndaos, no fire ants, no termites, no scorpions and the local rattlesnakes are an endangered species.

Had a co-worker in a previous job on the west side of Houston who commutes in from Magnolia every day. She & her husband have a place out in the country (maybe all of Magnolia is "out in the country") with several pets, & people will drop off unwanted pets there every now & then...sad but she does find homes for them or keeps them herself.

Before the improvements in cell phone service, I can remember she would call me from Magnolia & the call kept cutting in & out, while I could talk to another co-worker calling from a client in the Dominican Republic & that call was clear as a bell.

Commuting from a long way away is just a thing in Houston...one guy drove in from Brenham every day until he retired. I lived close enough to that job to go home for lunch, but now I drive over 30 miles each way (only 2-3 x a week though). As the saying goes, "Houston is actually about an hour away from Houston." Also lots of oil / gas jobs here so I guess we feel we're contributing to the local economy.

I like Texas, but I don't think I could ever get used to drivers cutting from the frontage roads to the expressways and vice versa - wherever they want - not just at an intersection or ramp.

Just drove from El Paso through San Antonio, College Station, Waco, Dallas, and then into Little Rock, Arkansas on our recent Arizona - Illinois trip. Didn't see much traffic except in and around Dallas. Dallas was a nightmare.

I like Texas, but I don't think I could ever get used to drivers cutting from the frontage roads to the expressways and vice versa - wherever they want - not just at an intersection or ramp.

That was done more in the 1980s+ when it was legal to drink and drive here. It was easy to get off the freeway and get a "cold one" that way. Now the feeder roads as as crowded as the freeways so it's not as common (unless the freeway is blocked due to an accident.

Agreed...... Cut N Shoot has over 1,000 residents while Terlingua has 58. Plus, Terlingua is over 2,000 feet above sea level while Cut N Shoot is just over 150 (or so).

Cut N Shoot is on the bus line too.,

Uh Oh! I just saw this Web headline:

"Tropical downpours to unleash 12 inches over flood-weary south-central US"

The article follows with

... Cities such as Houston and Beaumont, Texas, and New Orleans, Lake Charles and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, will be at risk for inundation in some neighborhoods.

Some small streams and bayous will flood and ultimately trigger river flooding in areas that have not had such problems recently.

Home and property owners prone to flooding should be prepared to move valuables and seek higher ground...

Uh Oh! I just saw this Web headline:

"Tropical downpours to unleash 12 inches over flood-weary south-central US"

We are already experiencing some (light) rainfall and it is supposed to get worse and continue through Sunday.

We'll be OK, though, with any luck. At least so far. :D To be serious, I'm not worried. The neighborhood where Frank and I live is less likely to flood than some others, and recently our houses were awarded FEMA's coveted "Zone X" flood zone designation instead of the prior "Zone AE" (meaning that we have lower flood insurance rates and the best flood zone anywhere in New Orleans). In the somewhat unlikely event that things got bad we would probably evacuate. That is always in the back of our minds as a good "Plan B".

We are not flood weary in New Orleans since until today, it hadn't rained even a drop here for maybe 2-3 weeks and our high temperatures have been in the mid 90's - - hot, hot, hot. And there's no flooding from the river (yet).

On our lunchtime pleasure drive we went up to the boat launch on Lake Ponchartrain, which is walking distance from our homes. The lake is just staggeringly high, due to the water from the Mississippi which is rising and either at, or very nearly at flood stage here in New Orleans due to rainfall up north. FEMA is going to partially divert the river by opening the Morganza Spillway up near Baton Rouge, for only the third time in history. This will flood more rural areas up there in order to spare New Orleans. It's a very difficult decision, I would imagine, and saddens everyone. Even though everyone has always known what rural areas will flood when the Morganza is opened up, still, nobody likes to see people's homes flooded out like that.

And all this would be the case even if we didn't have a drop of rain. :(

I think all these people were retiring to golf course communities and just found out that the golf course fad is dead. Now you have to own a two acre lot to keep up with the Jones. :popcorn:

A lot of stragglers never get past NC. You're welcome to come get them. Nothing against the people, just a concern that the transplants will enact the same policies that turned those states into the tax hell holes that they are (just like my new neighbor from NY that expressed those exact sentiment to us). :confused:

I hear that is already happening in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom