Where are the people coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in Kingwood (about 20 miles east, slightly south of Magnolia and the Woodlands) for 25 years while working in Houston.
Magnolia when I moved in 1990 was a small town. Houston is a megalopolis that is now about 100 miles in radius; the Woodlands was swallowed first in the 1980s' then it was Magnolia's turn. If you are not commuting 1 hour each way, areas like Magnolia are fine; if you are commuting to work every day, it is what it is, but you can be comforted by the reality that most of your co-workers are going through the same.

Except for the lack of mountains, trout, hiking (and the humidity), I liked Kingwood and Houston fine. I grew up in no town larger than 13000, so Magnolia seemed about par for the course, but I learned better when I went to undergrad in Abilene! (Going to UCRiverside for grad school, reshaped completely my views of city size).

Reno is way too congested, so don't come here like I did! Stay away!

I often compared Houston to a metastasizing tumor while I lived there, but that sounds too pejorative than the intent; it was intended as a metaphor for its steady, unchecked growth in circumference since the '60's. I do not miss the daily commute, however.

Last edited:
AC, I have lived in Kansas and Texas. You would have to pay me to live in either place.

AC, I have lived in Kansas and Texas. You would have to pay me to live in either place.

I don't think you will get any offers as the Texas quota is full at the moment. We have been turning away exiting California residents in mass and pointing them to Nevada instead.;)

Wisconsinite living the Nevada dream:))

Where are they coming from?

Also "IMO" saying "improve and Houston" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. I'm sorry to report that Houston is so far gone it can't be improved. It can probably still get worse but not improved.
LOL! But I remember Houston in late 70s and early 89s. Then it got hit by the oil bust. What emerged after was a big improvement over before, so I never give up hope.

Magnolia Texas is not a poor area any more , it is growing right into The Woodlands . With the new Aggie Highway going through will only enhance that area.

Oh, right, I remember Magnolia! Wasn’t that the site of the annual Renaissance Fair?

Really? You coulda fooled me!

I have a good friend who lives in Houston and she says as more and more folks from liberal states have moved there, the area and the entire state are becoming bluer every election.

No No No , please no more people from liberal states . Talked to a waitress Sunday at the Longhorn Steakhouse in Conroe . A pleasant woman . She explained her and her husband moved here from California . Her husband is a diesel mechanic and she is going to school to become a nurse . She said she would never go back to California and she was trying to talk her folks into moving here . I do not want Texas to become Cali . or anyplace else other then Texas. Stay home we are over crowded.

I have a good friend who lives in Houston and she says as more and more folks from liberal states have moved there, the area and the entire state are becoming bluer every election.

Yes, and we are doing all we can to keep the freeloaders out. We don't need a state income tax and all the other negatives that exist in places like San Fecalcisco.

About 16 years ago I called in to see friends - a California expat couple in Idaho (both retired cops...she subsequently died)....went to a building store...guy asked where he was from...response "Oh, here and there".

Left the store...he said to me "Notice I didn't say I was from California...they hate Californians here". :LOL:

Arizona is going the same way. Pretty soon there will be no place to hide...

About 16 years ago I called in to see friends - a California expat couple in Idaho (both retired cops...she subsequently died)....went to a building store...guy asked where he was from...response "Oh, here and there".

Left the store...he said to me "Notice I didn't say I was from California...they hate Californians here". :LOL:

That's because many who leave California for another state, bring their politics of destruction with them.

Texans hate it when foreigners come here from states with a state income tax... then turn around and advocate Texas have a state income tax. That's when it's time to get a rope !!

Last edited:
That's because many who leave California for another state, bring their politics of destruction with them.

Yup....they weren't in that group.;)

Man if we turned into California , I don't know what I would do . California is now trying to get a law of free health insurance for illegal immigrants . This would break Texas

Man if we turned into California , I don't know what I would do . California is now trying to get a law of free health insurance for illegal immigrants . This would break Texas

Once upon a time, illegals in Texas had to pay for their children to attend public schools. Then it was taken to the US EXTREME Court who ruled against Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

Now all states have to give free public school education to illegals.

As you say, many are advocating giving more free stuff to anyone who illegally crosses the border.

Personally, I think this is a form of asymmetric warfare. When Syrian war refugees were pouring into the EU, NATO Chief, General Breedlove, said that Russia [who had been carpetbombing populated areas of Syria] had "weaponized" war refugees to overwhelm and undermine the EU.

Last edited:
Based on the last page of inputs here, the moderator team is closing this thread.

If anyone is surprised, please review the community rules found at the bottom of all forum pages. Please join our efforts to keep the forum free from partisan political squabbles, and from disparaging characterizations people from locations other than your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom