Where Are They Now?

As I said about Khan earlier in this thread,

With a relatively new marriage, a new house, and Hurricane Irma, I suspect she's pretty busy. When I head up to Pine Island or Matlacha I keep my eyes out for her or her truck, but I haven't run into her. I know I would recognize her from her pictures. I was hoping she's show up at one of the SWFL meet ups, but no luck.

^ I read your post a while back about her but didn't read through all again the other night when i posted and forgot about that. Thanks

There was one of these "Where are they now" posts several years ago. At that time I wondered about "OldAgePensioner".

I know he really rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way, but his nomadic lifestyle of showing up in a large city and living very frugally fascinated me to an extent.

Last edited:
As I said about Khan earlier in this thread,
Maybe something happened to Khan? She hasn't even logged in since last December, and she used to post just about every month...

Last edited:
I remember a thread a few years ago where a young woman, I think a SAHM, discovered that her DW had been making some poor investment decisions and had frittered away a sizeable sum and kept her in the dark. She posted just as she was discovering his deceit and she was taking over the family finances. Does anyone remember that thread and who the OP was? I have always wondered how things turned out for them.

I think some people just find friendlier places to participate? Not to say this is unfriendly just that other places are more sympatico.

I think some people just find friendlier places to participate? Not to say this is unfriendly just that other places are more sympatico.

Does such a place really exist, to me the folks here are absolutely genteel compared to what I see everywhere else. I'd hazard a guess that more people leave because they feel they are being over monitored, instead of not feeling a friendly vibe.

There are plenty of folks that I enjoy hearing from but don't post as often... Sarah in SC immediately comes to mind. I miss hearing about her adventures with the short bus. Getting her view as a FA (on a board that is *not* friendly to FAs in general... but she's earned some respect from members here... or at least me.)

I also like hearing from infrequent poster aaron (?) - proving that you can live comfortably on a small income and showing he's found the work /life balance. Not sure if he's back in the northern midwest, or still down in Florida.

Compared to other forums, we are pretty tame here.

There are plenty of folks that I enjoy hearing from but don't post as often... Sarah in SC immediately comes to mind. I miss hearing about her adventures with the short bus. Getting her view as a FA (on a board that is *not* friendly to FAs in general... but she's earned some respect from members here... or at least me.)

I also like hearing from infrequent poster aaron (?) - proving that you can live comfortably on a small income and showing he's found the work /life balance. Not sure if he's back in the northern midwest, or still down in Florida.

If we are thinking about the same Aaron, I believe he is still recovering from his hip replacement surgery.
He posted here on Friday:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/time-to-change-my-car-oil-92701-2.html#post2073374
And on Thursday:
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...rement-or-2019-insight-92683.html#post2072622
And so on. :)

I think it is just that retired folks start to realize their lives are winding down and they want to make the most of the time remaining. I agree that this forum is exceptional, probably thanks to moderation.

I ran across an article a few days ago, which I can't seem to find again.

Anyway, the article stated that internet forums have become obsolete, and are less and less popular because younger people prefer to use twitter and other social media. The article asserted that forums would entirely disappear in a few years.

Hopefully the author of that article didn't know anything about it and was just looking for clicks... :D

Anyway, the article stated that internet forums have become obsolete, and are less and less popular because younger people prefer to use twitter and other social media. The article asserted that forums would entirely disappear in a few years.

Help, I'm melting!

The article asserted that forums would entirely disappear in a few years.

I’m in a local hobby club who still uses their Yahoo Group. It’s still somewhat challenging for some members. It’s routine to have an “I agree” post that quotes a couple hundred lines of text and email headers. But I quite agree this forum is pretty polite for the most part.

I might have to give up on those bbs’s eventually. :)

After a couple of disturbances in the force, I get into hyperdrive and leave for awhile.

Help, I'm melting!

That's utterly adorable!! :LOL:

I would imagine that if forums really DID disappear, then those of us who love to write a lot on forums would probably continue to write a lot, only on some other type of venue. My guess is that that is what happened with most former Usenet habitués (like me) when Usenet lost its popularity. Personally I'm no fan of Twitter due to the limitation on message size.

I post on wine forums, financial, retirement, travel...that’s not probably going away anytime soon.

..............I would imagine that if forums really DID disappear, then those of us who love to write a lot on forums would probably continue to write a lot, only on some other type of venue. .........
Yea, until they take my spray paint away.

Back
Top Bottom