Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
With regard to Danmar, it was my impression he was a bit exacerbated by what he perceived was a petty thread, and wrote something to the effect that he was going to take a hiatus. I'm not saying this is accurate, it was my impression. Maybe he'll come back eventually and tell us about his new smile.
Yes he was getting tired of what he perceived to be a few small-minded posters. (He did not want to apologize for enjoying his BMW M6 convertible!)

However he has no hard feelings and just thought a break was needed.

I don't know why Meadbh left. I could speculate but I do not think that would be fair to her.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This discussion is sorta creepy. Anyone else wondering what people would say about you if you disappeared?
What other people think of me is none of my business! - Gary Oldman
Old 04-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not creepy for me. I would be honored if someone here remembered me once I pass away.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I miss Sarah.
A big miss from me too!

Sarah had the same antique RV as I do. She and her hubby helped me out a lot answering questions.

I enjoyed her perspectives on investments and travel too.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I would be honored if someone here remembered me once I pass away.
I would be honored if someone remembered me while I'm still here.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Oh yeah, I remember you.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The one who I often wonder about a number of years ago.... and I can't remember her name... is the young woman who discovered that her husband, who was managing their investments, had made some very aggressive but losing bets and had lost ~$500k and she had just found out about it. Does anyone remember her screen name? I recall PMing her about a year later to ask how things were going and I never received a response.
Unless you explicitly delete your PMs, they should still be there and you could get her screen name from that list.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I just put you on my remember list!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Khan.

She moved to Florida from the Dayton, OH area and hasn't visited the forum this year.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I sometimes wonder what happened to freebird5825. She was active on the forum when I joined in 2015, and I remember her because she lived in CNY (where I grew up).
As a fellow CNYer I wondered too and contacted her.
It was well over a year ago, but I remember it as she said she was well and looking in now and then but tired of the same conversations being rehashed. Maybe after we finally calculate the perfect SS starting day and when the mortgage must be paid off she'll rejoin us.😂
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Not creepy for me. I would be honored if someone here remembered me once I pass away.
I guess I was referring to leaving the forum, not this Earth.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Where Are They Now?
Old 04-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #72

Where Are They Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
What other people think of me is none of my business! - Gary Oldman

OMG, THAT’s a keeper. Going into my personal Life’s Great Coping Principles Hall of Fame. Thanks. It’s icing that Gary Oldman said it.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #73

This discussion brings up something I've done with a few friends who live far from me. On my suggestion we've provided each other with email addresses of a family member who would definitely know if our individual "situation" were to change.

Now, if I don't hear from one of them and they don't respond to repeated emails, I can write to the designated family member and ask, "Are they mad at me or worse?" Well, not in so many words.

-BB
Old 04-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #74

Danmar's departure is news to me. Sorry to hear that he is away and hope for his eventual return. He and I seemed to share some sensibilities.

-BB
Old 04-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Khan.

She moved to Florida from the Dayton, OH area and hasn't visited the forum this year.
With a relatively new marriage, a new house, and Hurricane Irma, I suspect she's pretty busy. When I head up to Pine Island or Matlacha I keep my eyes out for her or her truck, but I haven't run into her. I know I would recognize her from her pictures. I was hoping she's show up at one of the SWFL meet ups, but no luck.

Actually I think a lot of the people who have left have just reached a point in their life where other things take up most of their time. Some go away mad (like me, previously), but others like Nords and Sarah and many others have seen it all now and have other things to keep them busy.

And speaking of the gone away, how about Dory36?

Edit: Oops, should have checked first. I missed the thread about when he updated Firecalc last year. Obviously still kicking.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Thanks for the info on CFB and Martha, Nords. I miss both of them also. . . . If you talk to either or both of these folks, let them know that some of us RE.org old-timers remember them well, and would love to see an update from them on how they are doing, etc..
+1. I miss both of them a lot.
CFB was a >really< prolific poster: over 22,000 posts and the majority just between 2003 and 2008, about 10 posts per day. Recipes, investment philosophy, funny stuff--all over the map. I can't think of him without re-laughing about his war with his mailman.

Quote:
. . . My USPS delivery guy is whiny and I don't like him much, and I have a huge long steep driveway. I already changed out my mailbox so anything larger than a deck of cards has to be brought up to my door.
Quote:
It was a game when he kept leaving notes in my mailbox complaining that trash cans and cars parked 10' away were "impeding his approach to the mailbox" (god help he has to step out of the truck to put mail in my box), but it was definitely on when I ordered the 65lb air compressor and he claimed I wasnt home (when I was) and left a tag in the box for me to come to the post office and pick it up.

So this month [December] when I know he's busy...I've ordered lots and lots of stuff from amazon every day or two, with enough split shipments to make sure he has to hoof at least one box up the driveway and then around the equally steep walkway to the front door...darn near every day.

I got a small potholder yesterday, and Gabe will be getting a matchbox car tomorrow or the next day!
"What do you do all day?" indeed!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
And speaking of the gone away, how about Dory36?

Edit: Oops, should have checked first. I missed the thread about when he updated Firecalc last year. Obviously still kicking.
Dory went over to the dark side - he went back to w*ork. Here's his website: Websites so cool, people skip lunch just to stare at them
Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dory went over to the dark side - he went back to w*ork. Here's his website: Websites so cool, people skip lunch just to stare at them

Yep, runs some web sites in Frisco, Tx. area afaik.

Martha, Khan, and Sarah are all on FB. I ran into CFB through a mutual FB friend, though I haven’t seen or heard anything recently.

I actually had lunch with the unfamous JG once...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Unless you explicitly delete your PMs, they should still be there and you could get her screen name from that list.
I must have deleted it... it's not there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes he was getting tired of what he perceived to be a few small-minded posters. (He did not want to apologize for enjoying his BMW M6 convertible!)

However he has no hard feelings and just thought a break was needed.
I can understand that.

There is at least one poster who is happy for him and hopes that he totally enjoys driving around in his awesome new car - with the top down!