Join Early Retirement Today

Where Are They Now?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where Are They Now?

Just musing, really, not expecting an answer is possible, but was thinking about this over the past couple days, and coincidentally, the "Goodbye" thread today by Meadbh brought it to mind again:

It would be interesting (if it were even possible) to compile a list of what some of the long-time posters are up to, who have "retired" from this forum - a la the old "Where Are They Now?" series.

Even as a relative newcomer here, less than a year, one can see prolific posters ("Blue Collar Guy" comes to mind) who were actively taking part in the dialogue - and who then simply vanished. And researching older topics, sometimes one realizes others also vanished, years ago (e.g. "cute fuzzy bunny"). Did some stroke of misfortune befall them? Did some comment offend them? Did they just grow weary of repetitive topics? Did they land a position as an oligarch? Did they have to go into deep cover? Who will ever know?

It's striking because, on the whole, this is such a welcoming, even warm, set of people, very convivial even when points of view differ, and so it's easy to have the sense that there is community... but it seems that people can vanish without a trace, sometimes almost unremarked. And although that's to be expected, and probably many of the people here like some degree of anonymity, still, the contrast between the overall rapport and the unmissed vanishings can be a little jarring. Something about how one is not truly gone, until one's name is no longer spoken...

End of musing. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

TimeMeasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"We are time's subjects, and time bids be gone."

William Shakespeare

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the musing, as I was also somewhat fond of 'Blue Collar Guy", and did wonder for a time what happened with him, especially as i am a native New Yorker, although it has been a very long time since i resided in that city. Fond memories remain. Then, as your musing indicated, I moved on, as life does.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
I was also somewhat fond of 'Blue Collar Guy"
He pretty much always made me laugh/smile.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
He pretty much always made me laugh/smile.
Yes, same here. Something about that "and you all shouldn't be surprised, like always, I have a story about this!" way of talking.

P.S. Always enjoy reading that "Exit, pursued by a bear" reference.
TimeMeasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMeasure View Post

Always enjoy reading that "Exit, pursued by a bear" reference.
Yeah, who knew that old Billy Shakespeare was a Market Timer?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think BCG made too many posts like "Me too" that did not add to the forum content. He treated it like a conversation. When he did contribute, I thought he added value though.

The two I know that left this year are both Canadian. And one last year. Meadbh, Danmar and Altared. I think they all contributed and enjoyed their participation. But eventually they found the censorship stifling. Meadbh tells why the US is not welcoming for Canadians and the thread gets shut. WTF? Sojourner mentions insular? I saw nothing but facts being discussed.

Are the overlords so sensitive that a little dose of reality does not work for them? Members think BMW owners are extravagant. Is anything beyond a Toyota unacceptable?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Not being a mod, I can only guess, but although there were facts there, they were embedded in a whole lot of emotional content that was not helpful and kept triggering an escalation by those of differing opinions, who then threw in a lot of their own emotionalism. Thus, I'm guessing the poor long suffering mods just declared enough already, there is more heat then light here. I agreed, and I do not always agree with thread closings, but this one was rather obviously justified.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I left the forum for awhile. I enjoyed it and the folks here have a wealth, no pun intended, of knowledge, but there are always a handful of people who like to poke. Sometimes you just say why bother and let things rest for a bit.
I came back because the topics here are just too relevant to my life right now. I try not to let the "pokers" bother me, but we all have our limits, I guess.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I left the forum for awhile. I enjoyed it and the folks here have a wealth, no pun intended, of knowledge, but there are always a handful of people who like to poke. Sometimes you just say why bother and let things rest for a bit.
I came back because the topics here are just too relevant to my life right now. I try not to let the "pokers" bother me, but we all have our limits, I guess.
And that is when the "block" function can be used to make your visit more enjoyable.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
And that is when the "block" function can be used to make your visit more enjoyable.
Good idea!
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

When I first joined this forum a number of years ago, I corresponded several times with a single woman about my age--from California, I believe--who was also doing a kitchen remodel. I later discovered that she died of cancer shortly thereafter. I liked her posts a lot and felt very bad about that. At the moment I can't remember her handle.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

I miss Sarah.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #14

I think about this topic now and then. I wonder if some posters just don't want to post anymore or if they go into the great beyond. How will we know?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I miss Sarah.
+1 No, make that +100

Old 04-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I think about this topic now and then. I wonder if some posters just don't want to post anymore or if they go into the great beyond. How will we know?
Can we spring for a community Ouija board?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #17

This thread takes me to a dark place.

When I was a young sergeant stationed in Germany (West Germany at that time), my dad and I would swap letters about once per month. Then one day, my letters started going unanswered.

I wrote a rather testy letter but never mailed it, Thank God.

~40 years later and I still have the letter.

F^ck you Alzheimer's, just f^ck you.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Its eerie sometimes. I use the android app and don't often log on and see the likes of comments about posts that Windows shows. Once every few months I do and try to review them.

I'd found a couple from BCG, after he was gone, I wish I could have told him I appreciated his thoughts.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Everything changes
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #19

Everything changes

Every time a friend departs, voluntarily or not, it prompts me to reflect on my own life, career, family and expectations for the future. I ask myself, "Is this a sign that I need to initiate some change in my own direction? Should I find a different j*b, move to a new location, alter some consequential life goal?"

Sometimes the answer has been "yes". But most often I end up concluding that their departure involved reasons I will never know or understand. At least, not in this life.

Naturally, I miss my absent friends. But the pain of loss diminishes with time. And every time, new friends have appeared.

As much as I would love still to be close with everyone I ever cared about, the universe doesn't work that way. Time and distance sunder relationships. But ultimately I'm grateful that I was able to share, however briefly, some thoughts and feelings with nice folks on the same journey.

I've felt a level of kinship with a bunch of the posters here, each in our own stage of a trip toward financial freedom. To the ones who've left, I wish them good fortune and give thanks for what they taught me. To the ones who've stayed, I say "Let's stick around a while and have a little more fun".

Finally, I look forward to the next crop of eager seekers who will join tomorrow and next week and next year. I anticipate there will be plenty of good times here in the future. Maybe eventually somebody will come up with the definitive best age to claim SS/CPP! How awesome would that be?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Its eerie sometimes. I use the android app and don't often log on and see the likes of comments about posts that Windows shows. Once every few months I do and try to review them.

I'd found a couple from BCG, after he was gone, I wish I could have told him I appreciated his thoughts.
BCG actually gave me a few thanks for my posts and I regret not taking the time to send him some recognition for that.