Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where did you grow up?
rural 32 23.53%
small town (roughly, up to 20,000, 25,000) 39 28.68%
urban 26 19.12%
suburban 39 28.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Small town Texas, population 400 or so. Think "Last Picture Show".
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
Small town Texas, population 400 or so. Think "Last Picture Show".
Archer City? Larry, is that you? Man I sure like your books!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #43

Suburbs of Washington, DC. At the time it had a "small town" feel to it as we walked or bicycled everywhere, but we could also go to the National Zoo occasionally. When I was fifteen a group of us rode our bicycles to the Washington Monument, walked up and down the stairs (elevators are for wimps!) and rode our bikes the hour and a half or so back home. The possibility of being robbed never crossed our minds.

And it didn't take 2 hours to drive 7 miles on Friday afternoon either.

Damn politicians ruined the place.

Edit: Dad was an electrician from rural PA, worked for the power company as a lineman and later in the meter lab. He said if he was off by one-hundredth of one per cent he was being sloppy. When he died the company had to hire three people to replace him. Mom was a SAHM until we were in our early teens then worked as a secretary at NIH. (National Institutes of Health)

Both grew up in the '30's depression and we heard "We can't afford that" frequently.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

No, not Archer City and don't call me Larry.... I do love his books also! I grew up just west of where the west begins.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't vote because from ages 1 to 18 we lived in places fitting all of the categories. Like most of you, I roamed far and wide by bicycle, foot and public transit, alone or with friends. To me it's sad that this is no longer possible. There are things about childhood today which are better than then and vice versa. This is one thing which was better then. Several of you mentioning this has made me nostalgic for those long, lazy summers.
noworkethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I chose suburban. My family moved every 2-3 years due to Dad's career but most of my formative years were in suburban areas. I also spent a significant amount of time in rural and urban areas while growing up. My main influence, however, was the constant moves. I never had a chance to put down roots or develop an attachment to any particular place or country.
We also moved quite a bit when I was growing up, but always lived on the fringes of the 'burbs- KS, MO, IN, OH, IL, OH, MO- all before I finished sixth grade (of course, I was 21 by then... graduated highest in my class- 6'-2" )

DW was a military brat, she also moved around quite a bit when she was growing up. Neither of us have lifelong friends; it was hard to form close friendships during the formative years when you knew you would be moving soon.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

On the outskirts of LA, the San Fernando Valley! Used to be orange groves, corn fields, etc. As kid's you could play ball on the empty lots. Now, it's an asphalt jungle. The beachs were hot spots during summer, now, oh well! Looking back though, I had a ball!
The "American Graffiti" summers, Van Nuys Blvd in my 65 El Camino, the drive-ins, girls,girls,girls!
I think I'd better quit before I say something to get me in trouble!
KennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Grew up on the southside of Chicago in the late 50s to early 70s. Parents (both from Eire) were blue collar. Father worked for the city and then Cook County as a stationary engineer. Mother worked as a crossing guard for the Chgo. Police Dept.

Had some great experinces as a child and later as a teenager/early adult working as a cab driver and a CTA bus driver. Those 2 jobs alone were quite an awakening.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is anyone else begining to suspect it not so much where you grow up, but how you grow up? What I'm getting at is it's not so much rural vs. urban but your family, friends, and those that had influence in your life that are the important factors.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Is anyone else begining to suspect it not so much where you grow up, but how you grow up? What I'm getting at is it's not so much rural vs. urban but your family, friends, and those that had influence in your life that are the important factors.
Truer words were never spoken. Worthy role models and people who care about you should be every child's birthright.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
We also moved quite a bit when I was growing up, but always lived on the fringes of the 'burbs- KS, MO, IN, OH, IL, OH, MO- all before I finished sixth grade (of course, I was 21 by then... graduated highest in my class- 6'-2" )

DW was a military brat, she also moved around quite a bit when she was growing up. Neither of us have lifelong friends; it was hard to form close friendships during the formative years when you knew you would be moving soon.
Now I understand why we always got along despite our obvious differences of opinion over on the iconic and dearly departed soapbox thread
Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

First 12yrs London England (Brixton, Clapham area)then till 20yrs old Montreal (Verdun) then till 30yrs old Florida(Tampa-St Pete area) from 30yrs old till now Montreal (Lasalle area)Florida was just too damn hot.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I selected rural, only because nothing else really fit. When I was very young I lived in England in what seemed to be a rural area, then moved to San Antonio for five years. After that I lived on the edge of one of the largest cities in Montana when I was 12. I could walk ten minutes from my house and be in farmers' fields. At that time "one of the largest cities in Montana" was less than 50k people. Since the city was very spread out it had the feel of being a very rural area. I lived there for two years, then moved to a very small Michigan town for about nine years with the population less 10k for the entire county and less than 5k for the town. The town had the highest population density in the county. I would ride my bicycle from north of town to cut the yard of an older lady (heir to one of the largest fortunes in America) south of town. It would only take about 20 minutes to complete the ride.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in a city. Even though the city itself was quite large, the streets were safe and people were friendly. As a kid I never rode bikes (too hilly) but by the age of 10 my friends and I "owned" the public transport all over the city. I used city transport to get to school/school activities starting at about 8. It was very unusual to be at any bus/train stop without running into someone you know...
lucija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Rural area in southeastern Wisconsin. I now live only 20 minutes from where I grew up..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Rural area in southeastern Wisconsin. I now live only 20 minutes from where I grew up..........
You need to get out more often....
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

0-2 Tehran, Iran
2-3 Jakarta, Indonesia
3-5 Taipei, ROC (now Taiwan)
5-8 Detroit, Michigan
8-14 Manila, Philippines
14-18 Seoul Korea

All small towns

On the other hand, my wife also grew up on a wheat farm in north central Montana right off US 2.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
You need to get out more often....
I lived in Florida for a year, does that count?

Most of DW's relatives either live in Wisconsin or Phoenix area (Mesa). However, we were both enamored with the Greenville SC area when we visited there in April, or Noth Carolina...very beautiful.............maybe a retirement spot........

Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
0-2 Tehran, Iran
2-3 Jakarta, Indonesia
3-5 Taipei, ROC (now Taiwan)
5-8 Detroit, Michigan
8-14 Manila, Philippines
14-18 Seoul Korea

All small towns

On the other hand, my wife also grew up on a wheat farm in north central Montana right off US 2.
Probably glad you don't live in Tehran anymore?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

0-9 Manila Philippines
10 - 12 Chicago, IL
13 - 20 Manila, Phil
21 - suburb of Chicago
62 - downtown Chicago and Florida