Join Early Retirement Today

Where do you keep your i-Bonds?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where do you keep your i-Bonds?

I know of two options: paper in the box and treasurydirect.gov

Are there more options?

I am considering converting my paper bonds to treasurydirect.gov and wondering if people on this forum have good experience with them?

Thanks!

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did it and it was quite easy. Go ahead and convert.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I looked at the website and see the process for converting my paper iBonds to electronic which seems like a good idea. My big questions is I couldn't find anywhere which talked about redeeming IBonds can you do this via treasury direct?

Now mind you I am in absolutely no hurry to redeem by 2000/2001 Ibonds with real interest rates of 3.5% or so.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I did it and it was quite easy. Go ahead and convert.
I also did this and it worked well.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I looked at the website and see the process for converting my paper iBonds to electronic which seems like a good idea. My big questions is I couldn't find anywhere which talked about redeeming IBonds can you do this via treasury direct?

Now mind you I am in absolutely no hurry to redeem by 2000/2001 Ibonds with real interest rates of 3.5% or so.
It is very easy. I have redeemed on-line both EE & IBonds, put a request and end of next business day the money is in my bank.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp

Quit shoving the 3.5% fixed rate in our faces! I was a little worried about setting up TD as many people on Bogleheads complained, but it was a breeze, and so was converting the bonds. Though I thought the least they could do was notify me when it was completed since you have to mail your bond in unsigned, but they didnt. Some people fret over getting your bonds stolen from your account as government wont take responsibility for any losses, yet not one person has ever given any proof that this has ever happened. So my best understanding is lost paper bonds can be replaced, but electronic ones cant. Im not losing any sleep over the issue, though.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine were all bought by payroll deduction back when that was still available, so they are all paper in my safe deposit box. I am thinking of getting more paper bonds via tax refund. Those same warning threads on Bogleheads have got me somewhat nervous about TD.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I transferred my paper bonds to electronic last week.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #9

I have a TD account but I'm keeping my paper bonds as well. Of course it probably won't be too long before no one at the local bank knows what they are. So I guess I'll eventually convert them,
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
So my best understanding is lost paper bonds can be replaced, but electronic ones cant. Im not losing any sleep over the issue, though.
So, there's that. Any other reason to keep the paper?

Personally, I just like having the paper in my possession. If worse comes to worst, I don't know if banks will cash them anyway, but it just "feels" safer to have some piece of paper with $1000 printed in the corners. I hate it that US Treas. has stopped issuing paper and also that they offer I-bonds in such trivial amounts. But, at least I did snag a small stack of "$1000 bills" back when they used to pay interest - without requiring inflation. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with paper I-bonds in a safe deposit box together with instructions to your heirs? Also should add that the heirs know about the location of the box.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau

So, there's that. Any other reason to keep the paper?

Personally, I just like having the paper in my possession. If worse comes to worst, I don't know if banks will cash them anyway, but it just "feels" safer to have some piece of paper with $1000 printed in the corners. I hate it that US Treas. has stopped issuing paper and also that they offer I-bonds in such trivial amounts. But, at least I did snag a small stack of "$1000 bills" back when they used to pay interest - without requiring inflation. YMMV
I have a little "old school" in me, so if I had several paper I Bonds, I would definitely have not converted them. I am relatively new to purchasing I Bonds. I only had one 5k paper, and then I read they were dropping paper, so I just added it to my TD account since I wouldnt be able to get anymore from bank.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

All my I-bonds were bought on-line at Treasury Direct and held in electronic form. I don't view this as any different than all of the mutual fund shares I hold at various MF companies (Vanguard, TRPrice, American, Franklin Templeton). None of these have paper certificates and I have never worried about that. I'm not sure I understand what the concern is by those considering whether to convert paper I-bonds to electronic form.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
All my I-bonds were bought on-line at Treasury Direct and held in electronic form. I don't view this as any different than all of the mutual fund shares I hold at various MF companies (Vanguard, TRPrice, American, Franklin Templeton). None of these have paper certificates and I have never worried about that. I'm not sure I understand what the concern is by those considering whether to convert paper I-bonds to electronic form.
grumpy, I hear what you are saying. Still, Vanguard, Fido and Shwab (etc.) do one basic thing - keep track of people's investments. Our gummint does a "few" other things. If Vanguard loses too many stocks or MFs, they will go out of business while our gummint wouldn't even see it as a hiccough (much more important things to worry about, such as "saving the snail darter".)

My experience dealing with gummint agencies (Medicare, SS, IRS, NLRB, etc.) doesn't particularly stack up to my experience with Vanguard either.

Finally, I know folks who keep virtually no cash in their pocket or otherwise in their possession. They keep it all in accounts which they can conveniently access with debit cards, checks, etc. But, I still like to keep a small wad of $1s, $5s and $10s in my sock drawer and a few (plus $20s) in my wallet. If the "system" goes down, cash is still accepted at a lot of places. Heck, here on Oahu, we lost power for 18 hours once. Yes, many stores use electronic cash registers, but most would still let you buy bread and PB&J, etc if you had the cash and didn't require change. Amazing how adaptable folks are, but very, very few places were able to use debit/credit cards. And checks were only for folks that someone knew as there was no way to verify.

Having said all that, I honestly think (in my case) I just like those little pieces of paper. I used to like to own paper stocks (don't even know if you can do that any more) but dealing with paper stock certs. is a total pain (and expensive to overnight) while paper US bonds are "good" at any FRB IIRC.

So, yeah, I guess I just LIKE the paper US bonds - go figure.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
...(snip)...
So, yeah, I guess I just LIKE the paper US bonds - go figure.
Me too. I scanned them on my printer and saved the scan to a file on my computer which tracks safe deposit box content. So now I have an electronic version too.

Still have not heard of any downsides to the paper. If the bonds are lost or stolen I understand they are recoverable through the government. When I go to my safe deposit box I always watch the clerk as he closes that thing up. Not that I don't trust them.

I just asked the banker a few days ago about what happens if DW and I are not living. He found out that state law instructs them to go by my trust document. So that is covered too, I think.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

I just asked the banker a few days ago about what happens if DW and I are not living. He found out that state law instructs them to go by my trust document. So that is covered too, I think.
BTW this week I was able to create an "entity" account on the Treasury Direct web site that is registered in the name of our family trust. There was then a form to download, fill out, have signature guarenteed and mail back to the Bureau of the Pubic Debt. This will transfer my existing I-bonds that were registered in my name into the account registered to the trust. I'll update here when the process is completed. This process is similar to what was required to accomplish the same thing with my Vanguard accounts.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I am considering converting my paper bonds to treasurydirect.gov and wondering if people on this forum have good experience with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
A couple years ago we wanted to redeem an inch-thick stack of paper EE bonds. You know-- da kine bought $25/time through four years of bi-weekly payroll deductions for our daughter's college education, back when EE bonds were a good deal.

Innocently enough, we started with Navy Federal Credit Union. The teller punted us to the assistant mgr, who 20 minutes later punted to the manager, who 20 minutes later professed that he'd never been asked to redeem an EE bond before. (I had Navy uniform articles that were older than the "manager".) They finally found some old geezer manual that explained the process and its limits. We would've been visiting that branch every week for three months to comply with their redemption processes & limits.

So we called a few other banks. They were all equally uncooperative. Most banks are required to redeem govt bonds, but nobody gives them bonus points (let alone any financial incentive) for doing it. They treat you as if you're a terrorist or one of those penny-hoarding hermits trying to deposit their life savings from coffee cans-- and that's just if you're an account holder.

Thoroughly disgusted, we revisited TreasuryDirect.gov and took a fresh look at what we thought was a "cumbersome" conversion process. It suddenly seemed pretty good. It took an hour or so to type in all the bond numbers and verify them. It took a fairly substantial leap of faith to put all that paper in an envelope and mail it to the govt for credit to our account. A couple weeks later we were good to go.

For the next year we were able to quickly redeem the EE bonds. They paid interest semi-annually so every 2nd of every month I'd redeem a different batch. They'd be in our checking account the next business day. Never a problem, never a delay. The time wasted on shopping around, and the time spent on entering data, was far more than made up by the convenience of clicking a few buttons on the redemption screen.

In retrospect, I spend longer filling out IRS Form 8815 and calculating our college-expense credits than I did converting the EE bonds from paper to electrons.

Our EE bonds are long gone, and these days we're chewing through the I bonds. (Our daughter's civil engineering textbooks are apparently hand-carved from a block of 24-carat gold bullion.) The redemption process is still painless.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Thoroughly disgusted, we revisited TreasuryDirect.gov and took a fresh look at what we thought was a "cumbersome" conversion process. It suddenly seemed pretty good. It took an hour or so to type in all the bond numbers and verify them. It took a fairly substantial leap of faith to put all that paper in an envelope and mail it to the govt for credit to our account. A couple weeks later we were good to go.

For the next year we were able to quickly redeem the EE bonds. They paid interest semi-annually so every 2nd of every month I'd redeem a different batch. They'd be in our checking account the next business day. Never a problem, never a delay. The time wasted on shopping around, and the time spent on entering data, was far more than made up by the convenience of clicking a few buttons on the redemption screen.

In retrospect, I spend longer filling out IRS Form 8815 and calculating our college-expense credits than I did converting the EE bonds from paper to electrons.

Our EE bonds are long gone, and these days we're chewing through the I bonds. (Our daughter's civil engineering textbooks are apparently hand-carved from a block of 24-carat gold bullion.) The redemption process is still painless.
Similar experience to mine. My company used to give out $500 in $50 EE bond denominations per year. When that program stopped I found I had well over 100 paper bonds. I redeemed a few at a local bank before I discovered the relative ease of converting them to electronic.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Our EE bond redemptions at the old Washington Mutual went through with no hitches and was very quick. I think if you can use a larger bank like Chase, Wells Fargo, or BoA then the processing is quick.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I worry a bit about inheritance. DD knows (I hope she remembers) about SD box so she should find savings bonds. MF companies mail quarterly statements so she should be able to find those too in case they're somehow left off the asset list. What happens to electronic T-direct accounts if you don't leave notes w/ usernames/passwords? Can they be recovered by some process by heirs?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote