Join Early Retirement Today

Where/how to buy a vacation cabin around SoCal or Central Cal?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where/how to buy a vacation cabin around SoCal or Central Cal?

I've had this itch to buy a cheap vacation cabin within say 4-5hrs driving distance of SoCal or Central Cal. Areas that see some snow is a bonus. The idea being that I can rehab/fix it etc just as a fun project since I enjoy that sort of thing. Unfortunately cheap and california don't go together

I do see some inexpensive properties (around $120k range) but the areas look very questionable. I also see tons of cute/tiny/updated cabins for rent on AirBnB that are in the woods etc that I'd love to own but not sure how to go about finding them. So far I've pulled up zillow and used the map to point and shoot at certain areas randomly but that's probably not the best way to go about searching for them.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #2

Living in the woods sucks. I know because I have over 100 mature trees in my yard lol. Visiting the woods might be different.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #3

I grew up backpacking and camping my whole life. I've rented cabins on several occasions. I really enjoy being away from the city life like that. Now I might not enjoy it if I lived there permanently but as a vacation cabin I really think I'd like it especially if it needs some work/fixing up.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #4

I think you need to pick an area that you like and then get hold of a local real estate agent. Maybe something on Mt. Palomar or in the Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead area?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

I’m not a Californian. But after hiking the PCT, I can say I loved certain trail towns I visited. Among these were Idylwild, Wrightwood, Julian. Further north, I loved Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth, Tahoe/Truckee area. Lots of areas near the Sierra Buttes outside of Sierra City area as well.
All these places seem very nice to me.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tehachapi is a nice little mountain town at 4,000'. I lived there for many years. There are a number of properties in the pines above town, up to around 6500' that get snow in the winter. Cheaper than Big Bear for sure.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A co-worker's uncle had a cabin in the sierras. I found out because I asked why he had a couple cues and a set of pool balls in his trunk. He said you have to take everything you don't want stolen when you leave.

And leave the door open or the bums will break the windows. Yup, nothing but woods for miles. People are going to live there when you're not.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Tehachapi is a nice little mountain town at 4,000'. I lived there for many years. There are a number of properties in the pines above town, up to around 6500' that get snow in the winter. Cheaper than Big Bear for sure.
I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
A co-worker's uncle had a cabin in the sierras. I found out because I asked why he had a couple cues and a set of pool balls in his trunk. He said you have to take everything you don't want stolen when you leave.

And leave the door open or the bums will break the windows. Yup, nothing but woods for miles. People are going to live there when you're not.
That's my biggest concern and what I want to avoid...the Sierras has had that as a big problem for a while, even when I go backpacking there I'm always on guard. Tons of growers and people straight out of the movie Deliverance. Too bad because it's so nice and scenic there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I’m not a Californian. But after hiking the PCT, I can say I loved certain trail towns I visited. Among these were Idylwild, Wrightwood, Julian. Further north, I loved Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth, Tahoe/Truckee area. Lots of areas near the Sierra Buttes outside of Sierra City area as well.
Thanks, I've been to most of those and you're right they're nice. Lone Pine, Bishop get super hot though practically unusable from Apr/May until Oct/Nov. Mammoth/Tahoe are pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I think you need to pick an area that you like and then get hold of a local real estate agent. Maybe something on Mt. Palomar or in the Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead area?
I agree, unfortunately, all the popular areas like the ones you mentioned are pricey now even for a little cabin.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Wrightwood is nice, but not very cheap anymore [emoji41]
Old 08-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Some suggestions.... Try Mariposa California, or Lake Arrowhead, or Big Bear.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps the Pine Mountain Club or Frazier Park area suits your interest. Check out Zillow.com for prices.