Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Purron: You can cancel the flight. Or keep it and use it: you sure would like my surroundings
I am delighted that your cat is back.

I second (or third) the recommendation to get him (really all cats and dogs) microchipped.

Having said that, always remember that the life expectancy of cats who go outside is far shorter than that of indoor cats. Unlike my dogs who can be kept in by fences, nothing will keep your cat in your yard.

We have had strictly indoor cats for many years. Several months ago, somehow a door was not securely closed and our 13 year old got out. We never saw him again.

I know many cats do enjoy outdoor life but I do suggest keeping cats indoors. If you do have your cat wear a collar be sure it also has any required tags on it (I am reluctant to really recommend a cat wear a collar outdoors as it can get caught. On the other hand, many locales require that tags be worn outdoors at all times. Still another reason to keep cats indoors).
__________________

__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #22
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Vincente,
Glad your found your kitten, good thing there are no coyotes in Spain!
WS
__________________

__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Katsmeow and Westermnskies:My recovered kitten stays indoors most of the time. When she goes outdoors it is due to some oversight of ours. From now on weīll be rather more mindful of his movements.
Here in Spain we donīt have your stringents rules and regulations re cats, and rarely are reported lost. We are light years behind you regarding animal protection awareness.
We certainly donīt have coyotes where I live But sadly there are too many careless drivers that donīt look out for the many stray cats...
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I am delighted that your cat is back.

I second (or third) the recommendation to get him (really all cats and dogs) microchipped.

Having said that, always remember that the life expectancy of cats who go outside is far shorter than that of indoor cats. Unlike my dogs who can be kept in by fences, nothing will keep your cat in your yard.

We have had strictly indoor cats for many years. Several months ago, somehow a door was not securely closed and our 13 year old got out. We never saw him again.

I know many cats do enjoy outdoor life but I do suggest keeping cats indoors. If you do have your cat wear a collar be sure it also has any required tags on it (I am reluctant to really recommend a cat wear a collar outdoors as it can get caught. On the other hand, many locales require that tags be worn outdoors at all times. Still another reason to keep cats indoors).

There are safety collars for cats that break apart in case they happen to get caught. Of course, the tags might be lost then, but least kitty will be safe. My views of keeping a cat indoor vs outdoors have changed. There are just too many dangers out there.
__________________
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kyounge1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,171
I'm so glad the kitten is back home and safe!
__________________
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
We have had strictly indoor cats for many years. Several months ago, somehow a door was not securely closed and our 13 year old got out. We never saw him again.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. This is one of our biggest fears. We have two strictly indoor cats ourselves.
__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
I am very happy to hear that kitty is home!
__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,147
This is great news Vicente! I would have been unable to sleep if one of our cats went missing.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
A handy dandy trick for helping cats come home, should you have a new cat or a new place - butter it's paws before putting it out - it will leave a better scent trail to follow home and licking it's paws helps fix the particular scent of the home turf in the cat's brain. Small town here, and cat friendly neighbors, but we've had a series of indoor/mostly outdoor cats that have lived/are living into their upper teens. No coyotes having catsnacks here and not a bunch of traffic....
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,323
Calmloki: Do you mean to butter their paws the first time you let the cat out only or butter them each time? I'm assuming you mean just the first time, but thought I better get if clarified from you.
I've never heard of that, but will surely try it when I get my kittie.
Sure lots of cat lovers on here..including me.
__________________
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,117
Mix in a dash of garlic before buttering - I understand coyotes really love it.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Calmloki: Do you mean to butter their paws the first time you let the cat out only or butter them each time? I'm assuming you mean just the first time, but thought I better get if clarified from you.
I've never heard of that, but will surely try it when I get my kittie.
Sure lots of cat lovers on here..including me.
You need to get your buttering clarified?

Did you do that on purpose?
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mix in a dash of garlic before buttering - I understand coyotes really love it.
Your gonna be in trouble!
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mix in a dash of garlic before buttering - I understand coyotes really love it.
Maybe those Italian coyotes - hear the Texmex coyotes prefer a touch of cumin and some pasilla ancho mixed in.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kyounge1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
A handy dandy trick for helping cats come home, should you have a new cat or a new place - butter it's paws before putting it out - it will leave a better scent trail to follow home and licking it's paws helps fix the particular scent of the home turf in the cat's brain. Small town here, and cat friendly neighbors, but we've had a series of indoor/mostly outdoor cats that have lived/are living into their upper teens. No coyotes having catsnacks here and not a bunch of traffic....
The Cats Protection League says "butter their paws" is #5 of the top ten cat myths. Indoors is safest, with microchip backup in case it gets out by accident.
__________________
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,260
GREAT news indeed! You must be sooo relieved. Poor kitty - she must have been scared to death! Glad to hear she is back home safe and sound.
__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
The Cats Protection League says "butter their paws" is #5 of the top ten cat myths. Indoors is safest, with microchip backup in case it gets out by accident.

Pssht! Who ya gonna believe - some foggy island Moggie Protection League writer or an anonymous poster from the ER forum?
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets
Tigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
MY KITTEN IS BACK!!! Thank you all for your response. Vim was rght- she didnīt stray from the last place we saw her. Took some persuasion to get her out from where she had hidden scared s*****ss.
This makes my day. What a great start for the weekend. :-)
__________________

__________________
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Latest Kitten Rescue Project Purron Other topics 9 10-04-2008 04:23 PM
Weird friendships a kitten and crow. clifp Other topics 1 12-29-2007 07:07 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.