Where Is Waldo?

Up front, thanks for all the kind words from those who said kind things. I'm not ill or injured, and Art and John didnt show up at my house to try and do me in. If they had done so, they definitely better have eaten their wheaties that morning...

I'm not much for so-longs, but I decided its fair to the people I respect to not keep them in suspense. I thought I'd just go away and nobody would notice. For what its worth Al, I thought about faking my own death for a while ;)

There are a half dozen pretty cool people here that post a lot and I've appreciated comparing notes, ideas and perspectives. Another dozen or two that dont post often but their short and infrequent notes are usually worth their weight in gold. There are a lot of people that i'm really fond of. I think you all know who you are. If you think you are but are unsure, go git some therapy to improve that self-image :)

On the other hand, there are trolls, breathless subscribers to the National Enquirer, and people who remind me of those little kids stuffed toys with the string coming out of their butt that says any one of 5 cute things when you pull the string. Cute until you've heard the same 5 things a hundred times, frequently one right after the other. Really uncute when the stuffed monkey thinks its uttering something brilliant every time it speaks.

When that latter people and stuff starts irritating you its time to take a break. In this case its probably going to be a long one.

I started in on my ever lengthening "things to do" list and also cleaned up my kayak and broke out my rollerblades and mountain bike. When I'm not doing things on my things to do list I do things with that stuff. Got a hitch on the bike and a nice trailer that Gabe is quite amused to ride in; took him on a 10 mile jaunt on the bike path near my house yesterday. He finds the scenery interesting and the 5 point harness straps quite tasty. I also lost 3lbs in the last week, and thats a good thing. Although 3lbs off of me is like throwing deck chairs off the titanic.

I checked in a few times to answer PM's and give people my email in the event that I can be of assistance to anyone. Its 't_h at comcast . net' if anyone wants to drop me a line. You guys that noted my coming and going need to GO OUTSIDE AND DO SOMETHING!!! :LOL:

I learned a lot about investing, life after early retirement, and enjoyed most of the camaraderie. I'll read up now and then to see where things are going but I wouldnt count on seeing me for a while, or very often. Gabes gotten up to about 10mph in his walker and my job this week is childproofing, especially after the episode the other day of overturned trash and playing with the used coffee filter, still full of wet coffee grounds. :p

The dogs are now terrified of him when he goes in the walker. They go outside and find a handy bush to lay under.

One last thing I cant leave without saying. That 'art as sargent shultz' analogy was spot-on. :LOL:

Might be tastier than some of the things on the new diet i'm on now that my wife wants to pull her cholesterol down a little bit.

Just for that, you're no longer one of the people I'll be missing ;)

() said:
One last thing I cant leave without saying.  That 'art as sargent shultz' analogy was spot-on. :LOL:

Just a softball for you to see whether or not you were dead. ;)

Buh bye!

Glad you're OK!

Attachments

• StuffedBeaver2.jpg
    StuffedBeaver2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 110
  • StuffedBeaver2.jpg_thumb
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm glad to hear you are ok and you weren't swallowed up by a local earthquakeck

I for one will miss your contribution and wit.

Thanks for noth(ing) ;) :D

Art said:
Just a softball for you to see whether or not you were dead. ;)

Honestly Art, I'm not sure I can tell the differences between your softball and your fast ones. Which one was supposed to be a fast ball?

You remind me that a vacuum is sometimes better than the things nature decides to fill it with.

And thank YOU for playing. It was actually sort of fun making you look like the idiot that you are, and on such a frequent basis! You're a good sport.

By the way, Forrest Gump would have worked almost as well as Sargent Shultz. Gomer Pyle. Goofy. So many choices.

() said:
Honestly Art, I'm not sure I can tell the differences between your softball and your fast ones.  Which one was supposed to be a fast ball?

You remind me that a vacuum is sometimes better than the things nature decides to fill it with.

And thank YOU for playing.  It was actually sort of fun making you look like the idiot that you are, and on such a frequent basis!  You're a good sport.

By the way, Forrest Gump would have worked almost as well as Sargent Shultz.  Gomer Pyle.  Goofy.  So many choices.

Hey! When did Waldo reappear? Arrrrrrrrrgh!

() said:
You know, I thought I'd epilogue this with a note.  I spent a couple of hours writing this while I was defrosting a really nice looking piece of brisket that I'm going to cook up and serve my dad while he's helping me with his grandson (that he's almost inseperable from) tomorrow while my wife is working.  And its a slightly CHP, for what thats worth.

Lately it seems I'm "into it" with a fair number of people.  To some degree, I think this has to do with the fact that i'm involved in many posts in almost 'real time'.  I have (at this point) three PC's in 'suspend'...one in my office, one in the living room and one on the rear patio...I am regularly reading the news, bits of this and that, sniffing my porfolio, and interspersed I check here for snappy riposte, funny jokes, good one-liners and occasionally useful information.  So i'm in and out of here every 30-60 minutes just to check on whats going on.  Sometimes its just chuckles and interesting bits.  Sometimes its bait but I dont know that yet and I want to know more.

I have to admit that in the real world I've followed a simple credo.  When I think someone is crapping in my hat, I usually ask them if they're doing it on purpose and/or give them a little shove back, followed by asking if the hat crapping is what they intended.  My experience says that if you dont push back, the hat crapping continues and the crap gets bigger.  When I was a kid, I dealt with the usual neighborhood bullies.  I found that if you punched them in the head, they usually found less uhh...'responsive' people to bully.  Later in life when I was big enough to BE a bully,  I found that kicking the bullies butts was more rewarding than being one.  So I usually give someone a little rope and then a hard push.  Just to let them know I'm in the game.  If they persist, I usually ask a second time if thats what they really want.  If they arent done with it, I drop the bomb and keep dropping it until they're done.  If you're like most people, you're focused on bombs #2-nnn, rather than what led up to it.  Makes me look like a read troublemaker... :(

Sometimes its someone who says something and they're completely pulling it out of their butt, and both of us know it.  More often than not, they dont have the smarts to just say "My bad...I'm pulling this out of my butt" and leave it at that.  Sometimes its someone trying to be 'controversial' and they decide to make it personal.  Sometimes its some egotistical a-hole who just wants to fight.  Sometimes its some juvenile shiat for brains that doesnt know a bad idea when they walk into it.

Suffice it to say, anyone who knows their stuff, anyone who is willing to help me understand their point of view (no matter how variant), anyone who can keep it about the issue...I'm there with you until the bitter end.  Unfortunately, hockeys 'third man in' rule is very much in effect here.  Nobody remembers the 10 posts where the guy holds the fresh from his butt statement, the subsequent posts where I gently ask for more info, the initial name calling, and the early ugliness.  They remember the parts where I give the bare fisted goodness to someone who has just wasted 2-3 days of my time or someone who thought it might be a good idea to crap in my hat over 'the internet' and see what happens.

If you're making stuff up, if you're reading neo-celebrity books and believing "if its on the internet it must be true', if you have some prejudice and found plenty of prejudicial people who wrote reports that make you feel better about being a racist dick,or if you're just being argumentative...I cant resist.

I spent an entire career kissing peoples asses, watching what I said, and smoothing out the waves.  Thats behind me now.

Johnny...I'm sure you're a swell guy.  I thought you liked the give and take.  I figured it was something you were seeking out.  I almost expected that someday soon we'd see a obituary with the addendum that "the guy 'i didnt know' gave me a good tough time the last few months and i appreciated that."  The nasty personal stuff thats been coming out of you that I've felt (on the primitive level) needed to be given back to you...well...makes me think otherwise.  John, I'm not a substance abuser, I'm not ignorant, and i'm highly, highly employable.  And not one thing I've ever said was untrue to my knowledge or a half truth designed go make myself look good, even though I was in marketing...Trust me. ;)

I'm going to close with a short statement.  Anyone here is welcome in my home.  For a conversation, a meal, or to stay a week or two.  Beyond that you pay rent and I'm a bad landlord.  I think your comments would be uniform, that I'm surprisingly quiet, accommodating, friendly and inquisitive.  And occasionally when you bring something up thats really different and/or unusual, you feel like an auger just ran into you.  On the other hand, if you're a contentless weener who just likes to stir up the conversation to see what will happen and you dont actually know anything...you'll meet my tiny front lawn with drink still in hand (I'm not a complete barbarian) and get to have a nice talk with any blade of grass you like...until I turn the dogs loose on you.  First guy that figures out how to let my dog Ted loose on some internet jerkoff gets $100,000 cash in hand.  It'll be worth every penny and more.

Make your own jokes ;)

Thanks, Al, for the link to ()'s Swan Song. How embarrassing and truly pathetic. Those childhood bullies really got to this pathetic wimp and scarred him for life. And here we have his sad plea to be understood. He wants us to know what turned him into the self-admitted dick he truly is.

To The Artist Formerly Known As () (the sign of the castrata, the Ball-less Scrotum):

I am not the only one who knows you are seriously emotionally disturbed. I've received several emails from prominent members who detest you but don't want to engage with such a hostile, stupid sack of ****e as you, th, notth, Just Not, and the Castrated Wonder ().

So let me just say in conclusion, in words you can understand, have fun in your new career as a greeter in Wal-Mart.

Err, a little vitriolic, Art. Even for me, and I love to argue. The internet can turn human beings into abstractions, so I find that you sometimes need to remind yourself of the fact that there's a real live person on the other end of that connection. Pretend that you're sitting next to them and ask yourself if you'd use the same words and tone.

wabmester said:
Pretend that you're sitting next to them and ask yourself if you'd use the same words and tone.

I agree with you, but in this case, I would. And I wouldn't need my Wheaties.

wabmester said:
Pretend that you're sitting next to them and ask yourself if you'd use the same words and tone.

I seriously doubt it. It's very easy to spout off and to use vulgar language when there is no face to the words. Your post, Art, is truly disgusting and has no place here on this forum. Get over yourself.

LL

Sugar doughnut anyone:confused:

Most of the boy's at the doughnut shop aren't packing anymore - being mostly retired and all.

I always smile when I tell them what a sweetie Jane Fonda is - AND that's AFTER we decide who's buying the doughnuts this week - cheaper by the box you know.

The life of a blue marble in a RED state is a tough job - but somebody's gotta do it.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

LL said:
I seriously doubt it. It's very easy to spout off and to use vulgar language when there is no face to the words. Your post, Art, is truly disgusting and has no place here on this forum. Get over yourself.

LL

Agreed, Art that was over the line, it's obvious you're here to spar, but come on.

My bad. Offensive passage deleted. Apologies to all.

TH,

I just wanted you to know that I for one will be missing your posts. I enjoyed your wit and your wisdom and I thank you for all of your helpful advice. This board will not be the same without you. I do hope that you will come back at a later time. Enjoy your time with Gabe-children grow up so quickly.

Dreamer

I agree with the others that everyone should be nice!!!!

Art: Yuck. If the offensive passage was deleted and what is left is not offensive I'm glad I didn't get here earlier. One thing I used to enjoy about this board is that most of the posters were thoughtful and didn't resort to vulgarity. Name-calling is not especially classy.

I wish TH could find a happy medium between being on the board, real time posting 10X a day, and not being here at all.

kayelem said:
Art:  Yuck.  If the offensive passage was deleted and what is left is not offensive I'm glad I didn't get here earlier.  One thing I used to enjoy about this board is that most of the posters were thoughtful and didn't resort to vulgarity. Name-calling is not especially classy.

I wish TH could find a happy medium between being on the board, real time posting 10X a day, and not being here at all.   

Hi Art! If anyone understands why you would verbally "nuke" th, I do.
But, glad you recognize it was a bit over the top. I have posted a few times
and then wished I held back, especially as I am pretty gruff and
confrontational in any venue. That said, given the choices in the
prior post, I would prefer th "not being here at all". I will concede that there
are probably some who feel that way about me.

Just my 2 cents.

JG

Hey () aka TH,

I've been a daily reader of this board and an infrequent poster (as I am still stuck in the work force).

I've missed your posts recently and was wondering if you had gone on off on a vacation. I am distressed to hear that you are considering an extended hiatus due to the 'antics' of some other posters.

I've been most impressed with your thinking abilities, knowledge, responsiveness,  willingness to share with everyone and to "play nice" until some of the other posters finally got to you. Unfortunately, they seem to be taking over this board and seemingly have little of value to add.

I'll be taking your suggestion to 'get out and do something' if you are not posting, as I fear that there will not be much new to be learned here.

Sorry to see you go.

omni

Hmmm

Pssst - Wellesley, some good recipes, computer deals, etc., etc.

Keep the faith - like MacArthur - he shall return.

omni550 said:
Hey () aka TH,

I've been a daily reader of this board and an infrequent poster (as I am still stuck in the work force).

I've missed your posts recently and was wondering if you had gone on off on a vacation. I am distressed to hear that you are considering an extended hiatus due to the 'antics' of some other posters.

I've been most impressed with your thinking abilities, knowledge, responsiveness, willingness to share with everyone and to "play nice" until some of the other posters finally got to you. Unfortunately, they seem to be taking over this board and seemingly have little of value to add.

I'll be taking your suggestion to 'get out and do something' if you are not posting, as I fear that there will not be much new to be learned here.

Sorry to see you go.

omni

omni,

I'm going to take you to task (in a kind and gentle way) regarding your "If Th stops posting, there isn't anything else I can learn on this board" post.

While I fully agree with you that the level of animosity and mean-spirited (not to mention rude and crude) posts have increased over time, your approach to Th's decision to take a break is a bit insulting to the thousands of other members and posters who contribute to this board. Yes, there is much here off-topic and in the general category of goofiness. I won't pretend for a minute that I'm not guilty of more than my fair share of this. But just because one vein played out in this gold mine is no reason to totally abandon the dig. There is still a treasure of information to be found here.

REW

unclemick2 said:
Hmmm

Pssst - Wellesley, some good recipes, computer deals, etc., etc.

Keep the faith - like MacArthur - he shall return.

Or he might "just fade away".......... :)

JG

omni550 said:
Hey () aka TH,

I've been most impressed with your thinking abilities, knowledge, responsiveness,  willingness to share with everyone and to "play nice" until some of the other posters finally got to you. Unfortunately, they seem to be taking over this board and seemingly have little of value to add.

Sorry to see you go.

omni

If you were kidding, you forgot the smiley face. BTW, implying that the "other
posters have little of value to add" is not helpful. There is gold in here,
whether th posts or not.

JG

Back
Top Bottom