Join Early Retirement Today

Where Millionaires Live: Top 10 List
Old 07-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where Millionaires Live: Top 10 List

Nothing really too surprising here. Except maybe #6?

Where Millionaires Live in America 2017

Quote:
Phoenix Marketing International, a firm that tracks the affluent market, ranked 915 urban areas, both large and small, based on the percentage of millionaire households in each. The following list of cities is limited to metropolitan areas with at least one urbanized area with a population of 50,000 or more. We will examine small cities with big millionaire populations in a separate story. Here are the 10 largest metropolitan areas boasting the highest concentration of millionaires in the U.S.
10. Anchorage, AK
9. Lexington Park, MD
8. Napa, CA
7. San Fran, CA
6. The Villages, FL
5. Honolulu, HI
4. Oxnard, CA
3. San Jose, CA
2. Washington DC
1. Stamford, CT

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #2

WooHoo, CA has 40% of the list.

"Go west young man"

Old 07-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only good thing about Oxnard was Sal's Mexican Inn, and that closed in 2009.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Florida has a lot of transplanted wealth, so The Villages at #6 doesn't surprise me.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
WooHoo, CA has 40% of the list.

"Go west young man"
I was curious how much I would need to increase my "income" to have the same QOL in San Jose as here in Atlanta. This handy calculator tells me that I would need to increase that by 72% (reference numbers 60K in ATL would need to be 103K in San Jose)...so yeah, I will not be moving to California anytime soon.

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Disclaimer: I didn't read all the fine print in the COL calculator above, so I don't know how that would equate to purchasing a home, etc. and how that would affect the above #.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Anything that makes you do 11 clicks to see a 10 item list is by definition mere click-bait to sell ads and therefore meaningless IMHO. I won't play that game (but thanks to the OP for providing the summary).
Old 07-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Anything that makes you do 11 clicks to see a 10 item list is by definition mere click-bait to sell ads and therefore meaningless IMHO. I won't play that game (but thanks to the OP for providing the summary).
That's why I listed the ten...because I too hate clickbait. I originally saw the research on another news source but it was a pay site, so I went and found a "free" site for others to see.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't have guessed #10 AK, but then I've never been there/don't know much about it. And I might have guessed at least one from NYC, Boston and/or Seattle. [edit: I see the most millionaires are in NYC and LA, but the OP's list is the highest concentrations of millionaires].

In my search, I read there are 2,089 billionaires in the world. More than I might have guessed.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

I know of a building that is occupied with 100% millionaires and billionaires. These are not "The millionaire next door" types like many of us are. These are the Real millionaires. They go from their doorman building, to their chauffeured Maybachs. There are some apts that have over 30 rooms. Its like a fantasy life. Mostly old money. I saw it first hand. I was the hired help.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I know of a building that is occupied with 100% millionaires and billionaires. These are not "The millionaire next door" types like many of us are. These are the Real millionaires. They go from their doorman building, to their chauffeured Maybachs. There are some apts that have over 30 rooms. Its like a fantasy life. Mostly old money. I saw it first hand. I was the hired help.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I assume there are several buildings like that in several major cities in the US and around the world.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

I'm surprised about Oxnard. I used to work near there. It used to be more farmland than big city. But that was a while back, 1989 time frame. Maybe it's changed since.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have to agree as to how did Oxnard get on the list. I used to hang out in some of the bars after playing golf in Camarillo and the town didn't look that great. I lived in Thousand Oaks where it appeared that's where the real wealth is centered in Ventura County. Oxnard
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Lexington Park, MD?? This is a joke.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Oxnard?? There was a recent article in the LA Times about all the problems there.

Oxnard residents are fighting slag heaps, power plants and oil fields that mar the town's beaches - LA Times

Snippet:

The population of Oxnard is about 75% Latino, 7.5% Asian, 2.4% African American and 1% Pacific Islander. The per capita income is less than $20,000 a year, and nearly half of all adults have less than a high school education.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

The list is highly suspect... Oxnard??
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Oxnard?? There was a recent article in the LA Times about all the problems there.

Oxnard residents are fighting slag heaps, power plants and oil fields that mar the town's beaches - LA Times

Snippet:

The population of Oxnard is about 75% Latino, 7.5% Asian, 2.4% African American and 1% Pacific Islander. The per capita income is less than $20,000 a year, and nearly half of all adults have less than a high school education.
There was a lady on either this forum or CD who wants to move out of Oxnard because of crime problem. The residents should know better. I once again question these types of articles.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnymar View Post
The list is highly suspect... Oxnard??
Your comment and others got me thinking. Exactly WHO did this research and why? Well, the "about us" page from the group that conducted the study is um...well, just as suspect as the data. After reading this, I have to ask the age old question posed in the movie Office Space, "What would you say you DO HERE?"

Our Founding Story - Phoenix Marketing International

At any rate, I am sorry I posted it, because it sure seems like some bull.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I wouldn't have guessed #10 AK, but then I've never been there/don't know much about it. And I might have guessed at least one from NYC, Boston and/or Seattle. [edit: I see the most millionaires are in NYC and LA, but the OP's list is the highest concentrations of millionaires].

In my search, I read there are 2,089 billionaires in the world. More than I might have guessed.

+1

Born, raised and spent most of my working years in Alaska. Surprised me Anchorage came in at #10.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That doesn't surprise me at all. I assume there are several buildings like that in several major cities in the US and around the world.
There is also a ship full of 200 rich folks, frankly it's a tempting thing, but I'm too poor

About The World - Largest Private Residential Ship
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
There is also a ship full of 200 rich folks, frankly it's a tempting thing, but I'm too poor

About The World - Largest Private Residential Ship
I saw a TV show on this.

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote