Join Early Retirement Today

Where should we get our new dog?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where should we get our new dog?

It's been almost two years since our last one passed away. We have gotten our international travel bucket finished. If there is any further travel it will be confined to the states. So, we are thinking about getting another dog! Our family and friends say we should get a rescue dog. We are leaning towards a young small breed from a rescue outfit. The thing we don't understand is that these same people enjoy working at these types of outfits, but when it comes to getting their own dogs they go to a breeder. Same thing with everyone at our veterinarian's office. So, do they all know something about rescues that we don't? What are your thoughts or experiences on this? Rescue or breeder?

Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in the very same situation. Since we are both 72 now, there is a dilemma as to what is best for the dog longer term. Our last dog lived 18.5 years.

molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I vote for the rescue. Best thing for both.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've done both. My current dog is from a rescue and he has been a great pet. I'll probably get one more dog and I will go the rescue route again. I prefer a dog at least a year old.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have rescued many dogs and our friends have too. They are forever grateful.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Our last dog came from the animal shelter. I just wanted a mid-size dog that I could walk with. I don't care for smaller dogs that much and a large dog is too big for our small house. I think it depends on whether or not you want a particular breed. The nice thing about dog breeds is they have distinct personalities and characteristics that work with your lifestyle. Sometimes I miss having a dog and will check out the adoptable animals, but if I ever get another dog, I will go to a breeder so I can get the same breed I had before. She was awesome.

One other nice thing about adopting from a shelter is that they tend to be older. I liked not having a puppy personally. We got our dog when she was 5. She was given up because the owners had to move, but she was well-trained and housebroken when we adopted her. She lived until she was 16. I would do it again, except now we are planning on doing some traveling in the next few years and it is expensive enough boarding our cat.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We got Sam, the dog, in 2008 from the pound. He's half-terrier and half-chihuahua. He was abused and neglected, and he still carries a little baggage around because of that, but it's easily manageable. He doesn't do well with quick advancements towards him. So, we crate him until everyone knows this if we have visitors. Little kids are a challenge, so we leave him crated around them. It really hasn't been much of an issue though. He has been great. Very quiet. Not yappy as a lot of chihuahuas are. He only barks when he needs too or he thinks there is danger. He has been wonderful. I'd go the rescue dog route again based on him, but you have to be very selective and visit them a few times before you commit. See them in several different situations.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

Absolutely a rescue. Breeding should be illegal IMO, when there are so many unwanted pets in the world. Pure-breeds can often also have genetic issues due to breeding practices.

I know, I know, some people "really" want a certain breed, but for every one of those another dog is euthanized due to shelter limits. Same with cats.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I vote rescue dog also. They soak up all the love you give and hand it back ten fold.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

There are many breed specific rescues. We only want Maltese and there is no shortage of rescue Maltese.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We found our papillon on PetFinder.com, and we would do that again. These are all animals that need homes, and most are with some rescue organization in a temporary foster home. They are typically well vetted and cared for until permanent homes are found. You can search by zip code, size, and even breed if you like. We had a wonderful experience finding our Tristan.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #12

I like to adopt from breed-specific rescue groups. They understand the breeds they rescue and IMO are more interested in finding good fits for their adoptions. They're more likely to place dogs with a known history, which can be helpful as you get your new pet adjusted to its new home. Also, they don't "flip" dogs; usually they're kept in a foster home for several months before being put up for adoption.
In my area a bunch of rescue organizations have cropped up that seem primarily involved in shipping up strays from kill shelters in the South. While I hate to see a dog euthanized, I worry that many of these dogs have received rather sketchy medical evaluations as these high-volume rescuers seek out the cheapest vet care they can find.
A friend adopted a healthy-looking black-mouth cur pup only to discover six months later that it had heartworm. The dog is fine now, but it required lengthy and expensive treatment.
I also met a woman at my dog club that had adopted a male cur that hadn't been neutered! That's SOP as part of the rescue process for most rescue groups.
Finally, there are some great senior dogs out there. Many of us are at the point in life where we may leave a pet behind when we die -- but we can still give a senior dog some nice retirement years. Many are up for adoption because a prior owner passed on.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #13

Beyond the great feeling you would get from rescuing a dog, the main reason I wold think about a rescue dog is the possibility that it is already potty trained. I would love a puppy, but the thought of training (i.e. cleaning up dog doo doo in my house) turns me off, and face it, they’re only a puppy for a very short time.

If you want a specific breed, I think most, if not all breeds have rescue operations for that specific breed.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Whatever you do, get a real dog....a Border Collie, a Kelpie or a German/Belgian Shepherd.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #15

Nemo, Maltese are real dogs)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Nemo, Maltese are real dogs)
Naaah, they're Barking Cats!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I strongly recommend going to a dog rescue group.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We're in the same position. We've had 5 dogs (last 4 in pairs), all purebreds direct from breeders (we met the dog parents). Our next pair (we always do pairs now), at least one will be a rescue, probably both. We've learned that what we treasure about having a dog in our lives isn't their looks, it's their behavior/presence (I hesitate to call it personality) - almost any dog can provide that.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #19

My daughter found her first dog on the side of the road starving after it'd escaped from a pit bull breeder. Harley was all chewed up as a bait dog. He was wonderful, and we had to manually walk him for his 10 years as AmStaffs are not welcome in neighborhoods.

Then we found a male Rottweiler on a log chain in the sun without a dog house or water. We stole him. Hank also lasted 10 years, and was a great guard dog. After Harley died, he became our house dog. Someone dognapped him.

My daughter then got Xena, a female Rottweiler, to replace Hank. I looked down one morning and two rottweilers were running around my legs as Hank found his way home. We still have her as a house dog.

Check out the local shelters and see if they have a dog that meets your needs. If you have a specific breed in mind, visit the real breeders (not a puppy mill) to see both parental dogs. I especially like the West Highland Terriers and Pappillons as house dogs. Another great dog is a hybrid like a Labradoodle.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes to breed specific shelters. I forgot all about those!

hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote