Join Early Retirement Today

Where the heck did I place it?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where the heck did I place it?

Well, over the past few days, I've set up a slingbox for use with my DVR. Wasn't easy (had to fiddle around with router settings, etc.), but I finally got it to work. Even drilled the holes to send the network cable from my computer room to where the slingbox is located.

So, today I've picking up all the stuff that I placed around, I get ready to program my remote control to control the TV. Then I realize, I can't find the manual for my DVR? I'm sure it was right on the table. Have looked, all over and still can't find it.

Luckily, at least a PDF file is online for the model.

But the experience made me think..what things have you mysteriously misplaced and either later found them or never did find them?

I recall, after I moved in 2001, my adaptor to an external CD writer was missing. I could swear that it never made it to the move, then one day I finally found the adaptor hidden in box
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Worst is when you "put it someplace special where it will be easy to find".

Ha
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I lost my glasses while looking through Frank's telescope last week. You guessed it - - they were on top of my head.

Haven't lost anything else that I can remember, at least not recently. I used to hate hearing my mother tell me sanctimoniously, "A place for everything, and everything in its place." However, it works pretty well for me.

She has been dead for 25 months, and I miss her so - - I would give anything to hear her say that (or anything else) to me now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was in college in 1975 I lost a contact lens. Used a backup and ordered a new lens. Went home for quarter break. Back at school the following quarter, I found the missing lens stuck to a little spot of jelly on the bedspread in my dorm room. It was a PMMA lens so it cleaned up well and went back into service.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Worst is when you "put it someplace special where it will be easy to find".

Ha
I do that way toooo much.....and way toooo often!!! But it's OK....I've been doin' like that all my life!!!

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind that I miss the most!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I lost a wrench into the sawdust bin of my table saw. I found it 10 years later when I was moving. The bin was kinda hard to remove, so I just used to scoop the sawdust out when it got full.

It drove me crazy wondering where the heck it had gone.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #7

My in car navigation system (ironically). I brought it into the house for safe keeping and cannot find it to put back in the car.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have a saying: "If you can't find something, you're looking in the wrong place." It sounds stupid and obvious, but what it means is that it isn't in the kind of places you are looking -- the kind of places you'd expect it to be.

An example: once, when coming home from college, I couldn't find an important stack of papers. It turns out that in trying to save packing space in the car, I'd put them inside the mini-fridge, which I didn't need at home. I had to stop looking in places that someone might normally put papers.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The other day, my wife calls me on my iPhone. We talk for a while and I get distracted. Then she tells me that we have been invited to a party and ask me to check my calendar. So I look for my iphone to check my calendar. I go through all my pockets and I start to freak out because it's not there. Off course it's not there because I have been holding it in my hand the whole time...

When I was a kid, I received a special silver bracelet for my confirmation (catholic sacrament). One day, I noticed a small hole in the shell of one of my stuffed animals and thought that it would make a great hiding place for something as special as my confirmation bracelet. Of course, I forgot all about it. Several month later, my mom asked me to wear the bracelet and I got a good spanking when I couldn't figure out where I had put it. I found it about 10 years later when cleaning out boxes containing childhood memories. That rattly stuffed animal sure caught my attention!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, I finally found my missing manual for my DVR. Of course, I misplaced it. Ended up in a box where I keep a network cable crimper tool.

Yeah, I've been there about losing my glasses. My vision isn't the best without them. I remember one time, I had to put on an old spare glasses to find the one that I lost.
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #11

the worst for me is when i misplace my cell phone (no landline) and cant call it to find it because my wife is gone....once i drove to a payphone (yes, they still have em) and had my wife call my phone after a 5 minute delay for me to get home. now, we got another cell phn for a business and i use it to find my cell every once in a while
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #12

I'm currently looking for my 8GB thumb drive. I know I lent it to my son a few months ago. He gave it back and I put it someplace where I would be able to find it. Oh, sure!

Maybe he borrowed it again.

We are also missing our ice cream scooper. It's the family heirloom ice cream scooper that we had when I was a kid. We don't use it often but I was fond of it and liked that it had some history. You can tell a lot about a family when the only important heirloom is an ice cream scooper.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind that I miss the most!
Ahhhh...you beat me to it! It's nice and breezy between my ears...I call it, 'bbbamI land'.....
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm currently looking for my 8GB thumb drive. I know I lent it to my son a few months ago. He gave it back and I put it someplace where I would be able to find it. Oh, sure!
I keep mine in the change purse in my wallet. I see it every time I pay for anything. It's easy to find, and never gets lost there. Oddly, after a couple of years of being in my change purse it still doesn't seem to be damaged.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #15

I need to attach a cell phone to my DW's keys. She never puts them in the same place twice, and since she has about 20 handbags, sometimes it can be quite a search.

The other day, she handed her keys to a friend to hold for a moment when they were coming in the apartment from a Costco run. Friend slides them into her purse. 20 minutes later friend goes on errands and then goes home (20 min from our house). DW looks for keys. Can't find them. Doesn't know what she did with them. Can't run Costco items to other friend who requested a couple things because she can't leave the house unlocked, nor does her car run without keys. Friend calls an hour later after doing errand and arriving home. Friend had put her hand in her purse to pull out her keys to open her door, and pulls out DW's keys. DW is relieved...until next time.

Me? I do stupid stuff too. Like putting the cereal in the refer, and the milk in the cupboard. Later in the day, open the fridge and wonder what the heck the cereal is doing in there...and where the heck is the milk (now spoiled in the cupboard). Now that is what I call serious dyslexia...

R
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lost a netflix movie once. Small house, no kids, etc. but somehow that movie just disappeared two years ago and hasn't been seen since.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Once upon a time a friend borrowed a single bed that I didn't need, with the bedlinens, in preparation for houseguests. She returned the laundered linens with a sock I'd been missing!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #18

Maybe it's just me, but when I DO find something I have been looking for, it is usually found in the last place I looked.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I lost my little Sony camera when on a trip to Door County, Michigan. I called the park where I thought I lost it, no luck. I went to a website where people post pictures from lost cameras, no luck.

I found it recently way under the driver's seat in the motorhome.

And for Rich, if he happens to check this thread, here is the promised picture of the goats on the roof of the restaurant:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #20

Back in the '70s, was pulling up to an arboretum on the Mendocino coast to see a funky little western swing band called Back in the Saddle (an Asleep at the Wheel sound-a-like) with my wife-to-be and a couple of Deadhead friends. As I opened my door, a little swirl of wind washed out a baggie with 4 paper blotter units (use your '70s imagination) that I had no recollection of ever losing. So we assumed it was the Deadhead version of manna from the heavens and proceeded appropriately. Nice little afternoon gig in the redwoods.