Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I stopped by Goodwill the other day and they had at least 1000 pair of jeans. I bought 2 pair for under $10. I know you asked about suits and ties, but after you get it home, no one but you knows what you paid for it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

DW takes care of that. She's a TJMaxx and Marshall's hound for discounts. Today I am wearing a 100% Nautica cotton button-down dress shirt she got for $5..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
DW takes care of that. She's a TJMaxx and Marshall's hound for discounts. Today I am wearing a 100% Nautica cotton button-down dress shirt she got for $5..........
would that be a 100% cotton Nautica dress shirt?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Thank goodness you men have women to shop for you!
psssst Marquette--it is Ralph Lauren...and I thought our schools were bad in the south!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
would that be a 100% cotton Nautica dress shirt?
You're just jealous......

Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
You're just jealous......
I wear a 17-1/2 x 35 if she finds any other great deals on 100% Nautica shirts...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fit perfectly, youthful brand is Liz Claiborne at, of all places, Penney's for guys. Just a suggestion.
Men's Warehouse had fantastic personal help in matching clothing up and fitting, plus, great buys on sale. (I did some shopping with a guy, obviously.) If I were a guy--and needed some style help with choosing colors to match the suits, fitting suits and so forth--that's where I would head first. You can always not buy their accessories and head out to Marshall's or T.J. Maxx, and buy the shirts/ties cheaper; but get some ideas from the Men's Warehouse guy for accessories if you buy your suits from there. I wish women had personal service like they had there.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Men's Warehouse had fantastic personal help in matching clothing up and fitting, plus, great buys on sale... You can always not buy their accessories and head out to Marshall's or T.J. Maxx, and buy the shirts/ties cheaper; but get some ideas from the Men's Warehouse guy for accessories if you buy your suits from there. I wish women had personal service like they had there.
Men's Wearhouse generally does a good job - very customer oriented - although the store closest to my house has been slipping recently. All of the clothes are of good quality, and the tailoring is well done also. But while I think the prices on their suits are competitive, the accessories can be expensive.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I wear a 17-1/2 x 35 if she finds any other great deals on 100% Nautica shirts...
That's the same size I WEAR!!!! Are you my long-lost brother??

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thank goodness you men have women to shop for you!
psssst Marquette--it is Ralph Lauren...and I thought our schools were bad in the south!
I think they're called "Finishing Schools", i.e., "when we're finished with you, you have no career path".........

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #31

I would say to splurge on the suit or two - make sure it fits you well and then get a bunch of shirts and ties to mix and match at discount. If you find something you like at a thrift store, make sure to get it tailored to fit you, even by the dry cleaners, it makes a huge difference.

If you have a burlington coat factory, it has a huge selection of suits, more so than some of the tj max's or ross - but those two are GREAT for shirts and ties.

If you want even higher end, there are "off saks" outlets that have saks cast offs - like armani/versace ties for half off..hee hee which is about $50 or $90 for a $150+ tie...haha!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget the warehouse stores like Sam's, BJ's or Costco. They have an assortment of casual and semi-dressy clothes like slacks and shirts, etc., at very reasonable prices.

And if you get used to shopping at JC Penney's, they have a pretty good website which offers free shipping often times - very easy to buy replacement clothes once you have the brand/size/etc down.
barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Consignment or high end charity shops
Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Consignment or high end charity shops

If you can find a charity 2nd hand or a consignment shop in or adjacent to a wealthy neighborhood that handles men's wear you can really score for little money. I would stay out of Goodwill and Value Village etc.

I think the best stuff usually comes when a guy dies and his wife drops it off. You may need a little tailoring. I usually go for a coat that fits perfectly even if I have to get the pants altered. You can sometimes get a $600-$800 suit, or a hand tallored suit for $25. Also expensive almost unworn English or Italian shoes very cheap.

Ha
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
That's the same size I WEAR!!!! Are you my long-lost brother??
Yes. ....and Mom liked me best.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #35

4 years ago when I lived for a year innercity Chicago, I bought a number of ties to sell on ebay: Nicole Miller, Fendi, Versaci and other brand names that are well known. Probably the most I spent on a tie was $1.50 as most were $1 or even a few cents lower. True story.
I would be selling these perfect and in good shape ties today if my son hadn't snatched them off one-by-one..ha!
So, if you are in a major city with great Goodwills, Salvation Army's or other thrift stores, give the tie rack a look.
In Chicago I got them at the Unique Thrift stores, which are privately owned but cheap. I had lots of time, so went from store to store looking during that year and boy! did I ever spend the money and make a haul of good things to use or resell.
And, if you do go the thrift store route, you have to hit maybe many stores before you find the few that have consistently the "good" or better junk. Trust me...I've been doing this for over 30 years as a hobby. (My God, even the Wall St. Journal interviewed me some years ago about thrift store buying--put on the first page--and my son was just absolutely mortified, too!!!)