Join Early Retirement Today

Where to buy clothes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where to buy clothes

I am a senior going into accounting so professional dress will be expected. Where do posters who have jobs that require professional dress buy their clothes? My suit is a Stafford suit from Penny's, but I need to buy a tie and wondered where you guys shopped for professional clothes.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You may laugh, but consider in what forum you've posted this question.

A good bit of my professional wardrobe came from the thrift store, my best scores were "buck a bag" for a grocery sack full.

You have to be a discerning shopper. I only go for the name brands (Land's End, Bauer, Bean, etc) and certainly only buy what fits and is still in good shape. My all time favorite find was an 85$ Pataloha shirt (well my post military professional life did have some intangible bennies) for about $2.

I rounded out these finds with a couple basics that I did buy (horrors). My suit jacket type stuff came from Land's End again, my chino type slacks (only bought two in my life) from Bean, and one or two ties I couldn't thrift store find were gifts. Shoes also bought, but since I walked to work and left them at work they last forever.

You will be amazed at what others give away, I don't have a thing on me right now that I paid more than a buck for!
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kohl's and Dillard's are my favorite stores. By the way, I'm not a guy...I buy clothes for one.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't worked anywhere that's professional dress (heck, we're casual through the end of the year), but I did pick up a really nice tux cheap at the Sak's 5th Avenue by us. They have a clearance section where things are marked down substantially. No way would I be able to get close to deepc's deals, though.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Salvation Army - family store/DAV thrift store/Goodwill - mainly cause she is picky. For the wedding in Ms a few weeks ago.

I still had my suit/shirt/tie/dress shoes left over from the wedding two years ago in KC - from Salvation Army for $35 bucks or less counting the shoe polish I bought in Wal Mart.

Three weddings and a funeral - probably could wear it again.

heh heh heh - Back in ancient times when I worked - I liked Penny's suits
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc View Post
You have to be a discerning shopper. I only go for the name brands (Land's End, Bauer, Bean, etc) and certainly only buy what fits and is still in good shape...You will be amazed at what others give away, I don't have a thing on me right now that I paid more than a buck for!
I like this advice. You can be cheap and buy cheap clothes and look like it. Or you can hunt down bargains on quality stuff.

You really need to know what you're looking for. If you're like a lot of guys at your age (like I was), you probably don't have a good idea of the elements of a good wardrobe and the elements of style. Find a good consultant, book or website that will help you understand what you need and how to get the most bang for your buck. Don't buy cheaply made stuff, don't buy trendy stuff, and don't underestimate the importance of tailoring.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have given clothing away in person and online.

I have received clothing in person and online and have bought from thrift stores and (once in a great while) from the mall.
====================
Seriously, post your requirements on various sites/forums and you will have people offering stuff for free.

See: freecycle
Old 10-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
I am a senior going into accounting so professional dress will be expected. Where do posters who have jobs that require professional dress buy their clothes? My suit is a Stafford suit from Penny's, but I need to buy a tie and wondered where you guys shopped for professional clothes.

Big and Tall men's stores. I never liked the idea of wearing used clothing.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately I never had to wear suits where I worked. Just once a year to the annual stock holders meeting. But when did buy dress clothes I purchased them from Dillards, Penny's, and other similar dept stores.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Having retired from a profession that required a coat and tie I will simply pass on what a professor told me many years ago. Buy a nice suit, preferably navy, get a white and a blue dress shirt and two ties. If you do not have color matching ability get someone to help. Black dress shoes. Wear this on job interviews or when you are trying to get a loan. Jos. A Bank would be a good place to start. Nice suits that are not too expensive.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Kohl's is where I get all my clothes. They have a nice shirt and tie selection and good prices too.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
I was in finance and accounting - finding the right suit is more than were you get it.
Just as you are judged by the quality of the work you do you are judged by your appearance.

You should learn about the the different styles - English, French, American, Italian and what looks best on you.

You should then learn what style of shirt, shoes and belt goes with that.

Ties are expensive - but that is one of the most important aspects - it is your signature - people will notice you for them.

Remember you are not dressing for your current job but your future one.

Find a style and designer that works for you and you set yourself apart from the crowd.

Macy's in some cities has a varied designer selection.

Not all have to be full suits - you can get a blue blazer and have, blue, black, beige and gray pants that go with it. The tie will set it apart.

Amazon.com: Suit Yourself: A Practical Guide to Men's Attire: Tim Meehan: Books

Color is important
Amazon.com: Color Me Beautiful: Carole Jackson: Books
Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

PoBoy and Dex have given you very good advice.

One good "New York" suit is necessary where ever you live for your profession. After that you can add clothing that fits the style of your firm and their clients. Buy a new suit at least once every 4 years. Even men's wear jackets get dated.

My daughter is a CFO of a well known firm in her industry, her daily attire is not 'suitie' enough for me but she does have one suit for events like the annual meeting. I remember complaining to my mother about the legnth of her skirts, her retort was "I remember how short your skirts were at her age." I wore suits and worked in NYC in the early 60s.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

When I worked in an office a couple of years ago I used to buy some of my clothes at Penney's - dockers and semi-dress shirts, and a suit or two even. Usually I was able to wear just dockers type pants and a collared pull-over shirt though, so didn't need a suit or tie.
barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try Moores Menswear Moores: Clothing For Men
Old 10-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #16

When I was transferred to the Fraud Section clothing was a bit overwhelming since all of a sudden I was expected to wear a suit & tie every day and had to buy about six or ten in a very short time. Most of the victims were banks and businesses so professional dress was required.

I went to J.C. Pennys, picked out a well-dressed, pretty saleslady and asked her opinion, tempered with what little style judgment I have. It turned out that's what most of the other guys did too.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #17

I usually shop LL Bean, mostly because I'm 6'6" and its hard to find "off the shelf" suits or dress cloths for my size. Not cheap by any means, but they have my size, and their quality/service is top notch.

I only have one suit, bought thru a local suit place that offered to tailor it to fit me.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Having one well made suit that fits perfectly, is important, like the boys say, and tailoring is important. Add dress pants, shirts and ties as you can afford it--hint broadly to your family for Christmas and birthdays, if needed. DH likes the durability and wash and wear style from LLBean's, but he wears khakis rather than dress pants most days.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
gone traveling

From a corporate VP/road warrior, still working, but looking over the horizon at FIRE:

Buy a couple of good conservative dark suits. They will last for years. (If you stay away from the doughnuts and other office goodies... ) I prefer Men's Wearhouse; wait for a sale-They do a great job coordinating your wardrobe, tailoring and alterations, and most off all suggesting color and stye combinations for those of use who are sartorially impaired.

You can spend a few bucks at MW and come away with a plan, then implement parts of it a Burlington Coat Factory, JCP, Jos Bank, Nordstrom Rack, etc. to save $ - (you can buy decent dress shirts, chinos, belts, shoes, ties, etc, at the discounters, but stick with good quality tailored suits. A cheap suit looks like a cheap suit. )

IMO, It is hard to beat Jerry Garcia ties. I think one of the ladies here mentioned in another post that she found them irresistable...

Shirts- I really like Lands End pinpoint oxford shirts. I have some that are over 10 years old, I own a couple dozen, , and have them professionally laundered; they have really held up well, always have five in the suitcase, and a dozen at the dry cleaners.

UncleMick has the ultimate budget solution, but I draw the line at used clothes... That being said, I just dropped off a half-dozen good suits and a pile of other lightly-used clothes at Goodwill, so they do get some good quaity merchandise.

Good luck in your new position. Hopefully all the folks in the office will think of you as "that dapper old new guy"
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH gets his suits at the Men's Wearhouse. Nice selection, fair prices, tailoring available and larger sizes (he's 6'5). Most of their sales staff are men, at least down here. I'd choose the one that's dressed the way you want to look. Or, you could spend some time looking at GQ magazine for more fashion-forward ideas. If you find pictures you like, take them with you when you go suit shopping. It will help the sales staff understand what you're looking for.

Quality fabric (good wool, often Italian) and a good cut are essential.

I also wouldn't skimp on shoes. Get a nice, classic, leather pair and take care of them.

Have fun!

P.S. A great haircut works wonders, too.