Join Early Retirement Today

Where to file a complaint against a bank?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where to file a complaint against a bank?

Long story short: Citibank advertised a $200 bonus if you opened a new checking account and used it to pay a citibank credit card. I complied with the terms of the promotion and now they are claiming that I'm not eligible for the $200. They provided no specific reason why I'm ineligible. I have copies of all the documentation with the terms of the offer and my specific actions that qualified me for it.

Citibank is non-responsive, so who do I file a complaint with? Since they are a nationally chartered bank, I was going to start with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency...has anyone gotten results from a banking dispute with them? Any other recommended groups that fight for the consumer?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Where to file a complaint against a bank?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #2

I had a complaint and filed with the federal reserve. http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/Complaints/

As I recall they regulate national banks. It was resolved in 2 weeks. Just so you know, citibank usually only gives these promotions out if you never had an account with them (even if you closed an account a few years ago and closed).

Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. And yes, I never ever had a citi checking account before, so they have no leg to stand on. I doubt I'll ever see the $200 but maybe I can at least cause some trouble for them if they're going to blatantly lie to new customers like this.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Instead of approaching it as a bank regulation thing, which might be slow, maybe getting after it as a consumer complaint would be more expedient?

You can try the better business bureau and your states attorney generals office. You can file a complaint with both online; start with the BBB. I've found that once most outfits get the call from the BBB they make it right just to get that complaint resolved. Only GE snubbed the BBB and the AG, but after the 35th newspaper/radio/television "consumer complaint" reporter called them, they finally worked it out.

One thought building on maddy's comment...citibank has bought a LOT of banks...any chance you had an account with one of their acquisitions or an acquisition of an acquisition?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #5

this happened to me when I opened up a wachovia account for a $100 gift card to home depot or something. After a dozen phone calls to the local branch and the corporate offices, they finally mailed me the gift cards as promised. I kept getting passed around to supposedly important people (VP of this or VP of that : ).

After this fiasco, instead of closing my account like a usual pissed-off person might, I decided to keep a $0.01 balance in my checking account for a few years so they would have to waste their time and money on issuing statements to me.

Keep trying different people at citibank and it may eventually work. Or get a couple of 0% balance transfer credit cards from them and make a thousand bucks with their money.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Administrator

Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #7

[

I do this with the a55hats at AT&T as well. They were the bane of my existence for a few months (I don't recall why right now). As a result of their being idiots, they gave me a credit for $9.02 out of the kindness of their own hearts (to offset some charges or something). Since I never use long distance, the $9 balance remains and each month they send me a statement showing me my credit balance. We'll see how many more years I can keep this up.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Or get a couple of 0% balance transfer credit cards from them and make a thousand bucks with their money.*
Oh, I've already done that. So even if I dont get this $200, I've still made about $1500 in 0% money off Citi. Suckers!