Where to Hide Stash for Access in 20-40 Years?

Hmmmm.... maybe some sort of building or castle on the historic register and the tourist circuit? They don't change/remodel them much after they've been restored to the historic time frame, and it seems rare for one to be allowed to be demolished.

She jimmies the gate and door to a back basement entrance, finds the stash, grabs some clothing from the prop room and becomes one of the actors in character to negotiate her escape through the morning influx of the day's tourists. After that, she melts into the crowds at Comic-Con.

Yes, that's even better. I didn't know what a columbarium was, so I missed it first time through.

If it's set in San Francisco, Grace Cathedral (one of the largest, if not the largest church building in the city) in Nob Hill has a columbarium.

I’d go for a small town or abandoned graveyard. Stainless container inside of plastic pipe. I see the tougher choice being what to put inside. Cash from 40 years ago might raise some serious questions, if it is even still useable. Stocks run the risk of picking companies like American Motors, and Executive Life Insurance Company. Gold, silver, perhaps gems. There probably should also be supplies that a “survivalist” would need.

barrel-of-money-S5E14-300x168.png

One way to handle the old money idea would be to say that you were cleaning out an old house you just bought and found a stash of money. (better have bought one)

how not to do it - Dalton Gang

The famous Dalton Gang made history in 1892 when they attempted to rob two banks at the same time in Coffeyville, Kansas. The result was the death of four of the outlaws and four citizens, and a prison term for the only survivor, Emmett Dalton.

Less well known is the fortune in gold and silver coins allegedly buried by the outlaws on the evening before the Coffeyville attempt. The cache was estimated to be worth between $9,000 and $20,000 in 1892 values.

On the evening of October 5, the gang arrived at Onion Creek where it joins with the Verdigris River near the Kansas-Oklahoma border. There, they set up camp. Desiring to travel as unencumbered as possible, they unloaded all of the goods from their horses. The gold and silver coins were placed in a shallow hole they dug adjacent to their campfire.
The robbery attempt was a disaster and spelled the end of the gang. All were killed, save for Emmett. He served only 15 years in prison when he was pardoned in 1907. Lawmen believed that when freed, Emmett would lead them to the buried cache. They followed him for weeks, but he stayed away from Onion Creek. He once told an interviewer that he believed the coin cache was tainted and he wanted no more to do with it.
The precise location of the Onion Creek campsite has been debated for years, but recently discovered information has narrowed the area of search. On the morning the Dalton Gang departed for Coffeyville, Mary Brown, the young daughter of a nearby rancher, was riding her horse when she heard voices near Onion Creek. Reining up her mount, she listened and heard the sounds of men eating and saddling horses. Moments later, Brown saw five horsemen riding out from under a small wooden bridge that spanned the creek and making their way toward Coffeyville.
Years later, when Brown was an adult, she heard the story of the gold and silver coins buried at the Onion Creek campsite and was determined to find them. During the time that passed since the Coffeyville Raid, however, the old bridge had been torn down, portions of the creek had changed course and the road had been relocated. Though she searched for a full day, Brown was unable to find the location where the Daltons had camped so many years earlier.
As far as anyone knows, the treasure is still there.

Here's the Grace Cathedral columbarium.

14482419493_f497a0f55b_b.jpg

I would prefer glass-fronted niches, but few will know that the niches at Grace aren't glass-fronted.

Here's what I'm thinking now:

She goes to the columbarium, but as she's jimmying open the niche, there's a small earthquake.
"Everybody out now!"
Stay or go?
Almost got it.
She can see the urn. So much money there, inches away.
Bigger shock.
Someone makes her get out of the building.
The big one hits
The cathedral collapses.
Tries to search through the rubble. Hopeless.
On to plan B: the second cache in the tree.

Too much coincidence?

Plus, the earthquake and recovery can be an interesting part of the plot.

Somewhere on Alcatraz island ?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Underground is good, but underwater is even better. Less likelihood of discovery by people or land animals. If properly sealed and anchored with a heavy weight, coming up with compass directions and distance from an existing permanent ground landmark (USGS pillars) to relocate it could turn into a neat story plot to weave.
I'm not familiar with the SF area, but are there permanent buoys in the harbor that are only serviced for their mounted lights and not their underwater parts ? Perhaps the base of a bridge, i.e. the underwater footings ? A large fixed land-to-ocean dock ?
Canals and ponds get dredged on a regular basis, so that wouldn't w*rk.

I remember another movie in which a stash is hidden: The Shawshank Redemption.

Last edited:
Plus, she has no form of identification.

Shows what I know-never had a safe deposit box. Aren't some set-up so you just need a special number?

Give it to a lawyers office. Have them hold, and set-up so it can be accessed in some special way in the future. Maybe they hold the deposit box key, and notify the bank every so often to keep things active.

Fool proof solution! Every library has a copy of Adam Smiths The Wealth of Nations, but no one reads it. Hollow out the book at the SF public library and hide some of it there.

Al, it is your story and it sounds like you are looking for a dramatic turn.

However, if you just need the character to get the stash, one of these little outside church columbariums may be the ticket (see picture below). They have some security, but not a lot. Sometimes they get improved or moved. If that happens, the workers would doubtfully mess with the urns, so I think it would be safe.

What I'm thinking here is this is an easy hit with a crowbar at night.

But it is your story, and an earthquake with glass front niches sounds more interesting. :)

Attachments

• columbarium.JPG
    columbarium.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 6
I remember another movie in which a stash is hidden: The Shawshank Redemption.

Or Thunderbolt and Lightfoot:

At location 1 hour, 30 minutes (spoiler alert).

A good stash movie - 48 hours. Cash in the trunk of the kharman ghia. Parked in a NYC underground lot for 4 years ... Roxanne....

They've been burying /hiding treasure under ground for centuries and it usually worked. Why not do that ...

For some really long term storage, maybe inspiration: Introduction - 10,000 Year Clock - The Long Now

Hiding inside a museum artifact can create all sorts of plot fun. Dropped into an ocean bed with a pre-set activation of a radio beacon.

Grave / urn option seems best though as mentioned. Most places you can get a garantuee people will leave your plot alone for 40+ years.

Or simply give it to a relative / friend. Or in the walls of a newly constructed building (hope it doesn't get blown up by terrorists).

Container should be plastic or ceramic.

Back
Top Bottom