Join Early Retirement Today

Where to Hide Stash for Access in 20-40 Years?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where to Hide Stash for Access in 20-40 Years?

In 1980 San Francisco, you're about to travel forward in time twenty to forty years. You can't take anything with you.

You stuff a stainless-steel flask or other small durable container (ideas?) full of cash, diamonds, stock certificates, and you hide it. You want it to be easily accessed when you arrive in the future.

Where do you hide it?

My current thinking:

Tucked up into the underside of a bridge (e.g. Golden Gate) where no one is likely to find it.

Chiseled into the upper parts of a tree in Golden Gate park.

Placed inside a public statue (make a trap door?).

Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I would bury it in a remote part of a national park or similar.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The Golden Gate Bridge gets repainted often, and the painters might find the stash. Trees get chopped down or die. Statues may get replaced.

I think I would find a remote corner in a national forest and bury the loot.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Since the bridge has been retrofitted for earthquakes and repainted several times since 1980, I think the flask would have been discovered.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My plan is that she (it's a woman) will have a nice big cache buried in a national forest, but she also has a small cache somewhere easily accessible.

She arrives naked and unconscious, and is put in a hospital. She escapes in the night, stealing some clothes that have $100 in a pocket (year 2020).

She takes a cab to the mini-cache location, and gets enough dough to get lodging and fake IDs. Then she can rent a car, buy a shovel, and go to her main cache.

OTOH, I might want to have her mini-cache gone (park paved over, statue replaced, etc), so she'll have to struggle more.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mini cache in a columbarium of a large Catholic church?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My suggestion is probably to hum drum. Why not put it in a bank deposit box and let it sit?

Fun suggestions:
I would attempt to locate it near or in a large new public amenity that is going up currently-so it is likely to still be there in 40 years.
Building wall
Base of statue
Old 07-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Even if hiding the cache in a forest, I would divide it and bury in at least 2 locations. Diversification is the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
My suggestion is probably to hum drum. Why not put it in a bank deposit box and let it sit?
If the account is inactive for some time, most likely shorter than the desired 20-40 years, the bank will turn the content over to the state. That likely creates some problem for our time traveling heroine when she claims it. Where has she been? Why has she not filed tax returns all these years?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If the account is inactive for some time, most likely shorter than the desired 20-40 years, the bank will turn the contents over to the state.
Plus, she has no form of identification.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

hide it somewhere no one goes very often, like an old cemetary
Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #11

This is an interesting problem!

Forget the bridge. The painters will get the loot. Bridges have constant maintenance.

Burying it in a hole in a park sounds good, but man there are a lot of people geocaching and looking with metal detectors. That scares me a bit too.

The cemetery idea has promise.

A "trap door" in something public is also a nice idea, but your protagonist better be expert at doing something like that. That's not a trivial operation.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

How about in an urn in a mortuary? I think that'd be pretty safe.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Even if hiding the cache in a forest, I would divide it and bury in at least 2 locations. Diversification is the rule.
My thought too, with both caches. Divided up into three would be better. JoeWras is right about the metal detectors too, and that situation is not going to get better.

I like the cemetery idea. But divided into different cemeteries, even those get moved sometimes.

Bridges get too much maintenance for that idea to work - someone would find it for sure. Perhaps even for the statue too. One nearby here has been in place for 50+ years and they're making noises about moving it. Murphy's Law, you know....

Cemetery or National Park is best, I lean in favor of the cemetery.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Does she know the hospital in advance? Hide it in the basement of the hospital. To put a twist in the story, the hospital has been remodeled and parts of the old hospital have been sealed off, and then she wanders the basement trying to reorient herself hoping that her cache is still there.......and then she cuts through a fake wall...... and then discovers the old hallway that leads to the old mortuary..........and then finds her cache hidden in a floor drain and finds a..............body.
Al, Whose body?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I like the cemetery idea.
+1. In San Francisco, it may be the only thing that could remain undisturbed for 40 years.

I also thought of other buildings like the Coit tower and City Hall that have not changed much in a long time. But the potential for the stash to be discovered during a remodel is pretty high.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I am reminded of the Clint Eastwood movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot", where robbers hid the loot in a one-room schoolhouse. When they came back, they saw the old schoolhouse gone, and replaced by a modern building.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

There would have to be some large wilderness areas accessible not that far away. I would use a Ziploc bag, put in the smallest of three nested sealed plastic containers (wax around the lip) to avoid metal detectors and protect against moisture and insects. Looking at a map, perhaps Mt. Diablo state park - steep terrain that would discourage casual hikers, no chance of construction taking place. Find a place that's inconvenient to get to because it's steep, way off any documented trails, bury it.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I would say for her to buy a plot in a mausoleum and stash it behind the cover plate.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
There would have to be some large wilderness areas accessible not that far away. I would use a Ziploc bag, put in the smallest of three nested sealed plastic containers (wax around the lip) to avoid metal detectors and protect against moisture and insects. Looking at a map, perhaps Mt. Diablo state park - steep terrain that would discourage casual hikers, no chance of construction taking place. Find a place that's inconvenient to get to because it's steep, way off any documented trails, bury it.
I have had some keys buried in my back yard for nearly 20 years now. I used a glass container with a plastic lid, and it is holding up well.

Not saying the flexible bags are a bad idea, but just saying that in addition glass is also possible.

Got to keep away the coins though...
Old 07-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I would say for her to buy a plot in a mausoleum and stash it behind the cover plate.
Oh, good idea. Like the cemetery idea too.............where she also finds a body........with her face! Just got done watching a murder mystery and there's always a body or two.