Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

If we were to move, it would be to our vacation condo in Scottsdale, Az.

Gated community with no kids
No building maintenance
HOA pool
Great weather for 3 seasons (and could escape heat in 2 hours)
Low taxes
Hiking trails nearby
Good bike routes
Lots of open space/ parks
Great shopping, restaurants, movie theaters
Professional sports nearby
Good hospitals/medical facilities
Water park, gym, library within walking distance
30 minutes to a major airport
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We plan to stay right here in coastal Connecticut. After 22 years of effort, our big old house is just the way we like it. We live right in town, on the harbor. There are over a dozen restaurants within a quarter mile, the hospital is three blocks away, church is less than half a mile, and there is a large grocery less than one mile in each direction. If we want to go into NYC, we walk three blocks to the train station and ride in. And recent weeks notwithstanding, the weather is fairly decent. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter (for you gardeners, we are in Zone 7a). The downside is that it is expensive to live around here and the real property taxes are high, but we've taken that into account and our retirement budget will cover the cost.

I do expect that the time will come when we are physically unable or unwilling to maintain the house (many years in the future, I hope). At that point, I think we will likely sell the house and use the proceeds to move to one of those continuing care communities, but I don't know where.

We have almost the same situation but near Chicago and a smaller old house, I think. We decided to put more $$ into it in the last couple of years than a vacation condo would cost, to gut the kitchen and restore some of the house's original 1880s feel, not for resale but for ourselves. We feel this house and town are the devil we know.

I do anticipate ramping up the winter vacations considerably, after this winter's cabin fever set in two months ago, back when subzero temps first hit.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

We are planning to move in the next three years . Same area smaller house . I have found an area I love . The problem is there are only 42 houses and only a few that meet our needs .We currently live in 3600 sq.feet with a pool . I am looking for 1900 -2200 sq.feet with a community pool .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
I am adding Livingston, Texas to my list for the hard to replicate services provided by the Escapees.
The ACA effectively removes South Dakota as a viable alternative for those western travelers needing a virtual presence.

For the last 5 years (nearly) I've been living part-time (as in an apartment 4 days a week) about 45 minutes north of Livingston, TX. In general, I really like the whole east Texas area, and am particularly fond of Lufkin & Nacogdoches areas. Livingston's nice too, and I'd consider any of those areas, if my wife was on board. However, with kids & grandkids in the Shreveport area, that's where we ended up. If the kids end up scattering though, good chance we'll head back to deep east Texas.

By the way...there's a dental clinic in Livingston to which I'll make the nearly 3 hour drive when I need anything like wisdom teeth, root canals, crowns etc. done. Money-wise, it's well worth the drive! I also prefer my barber in Lufkin, so I might be inclined to make that drive once a month or so as well. I was working in Lufkin, then driving back to Bossier City on weekends, where my wife was living full-time. Just transferred my job to Shreveport last month, so no longer have the apartment in Lufkin.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #25

I'll be headed to the mountains of Colorado about the time the snow melts. I plan to start building my small house in May. I'll be in the middle of the National Forest in a community of summer cabins and camp sites associated with a kid's camp. Only two families winter over there. I will be the third. One of the two others is the camp maintenance guy and the other is a retired pastor and his wife. The winters can get pretty rough. Check out the Prepper's thread for an idea of what I will be doing to prepare for winter. I do have a truck with a plow and a Jeep Wrangler. Once I get my place built, I plan to spend a lot of time helping with maintenance at the camp. Its a Christian camp that does wonders with kids in the summer. Plenty of summer residents. One family from Tuscon, Az. One from Wisconsin. I'm also getting a season ski pass. I will be about 2 hrs from the large ski areas and life is always good when you can go skiing.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #26

We've been looking to relocate for the past few years and have decided to stay in California. We may move out to the other side of Sacramento, closer to Lake Tahoe, or we may move down to the Central Coast. We would like a slower pace of life than we're experiencing in the Bay Area, and often we just think we're ready for a change.

We may just stay put. We have lived in this house for 31 years this summer, and I think it would be very hard for me to leave all the plants I've put in over those years.

Right now we're just in "getting ready for the market" mode, putting on the finishing touches. Once that's done and we are actually market-ready, we will look and see if there's anything in either place that is worth making the move for.

Real estate is getting hot around here again, and the prices I am seeing are making my eyes bug out in disbelief. However, there is no point in selling if there is not somewhere else we'd rather be.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
We've been looking to relocate for the past few years and have decided to stay in California. We may move out to the other side of Sacramento, closer to Lake Tahoe, or we may move down to the Central Coast. We would like a slower pace of life than we're experiencing in the Bay Area, and often we just think we're ready for a change.

We were thinking along the same line. I've recently added The Villages, Florida as an option. At early 50s, active lifestyle The Villages offer may suit us. Besides, 40+ golf courses is a strong incentive for me.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #28

For fun, I did an "expense" exercise for 3 options: living in Bay Area, in Sacramento/CA, and The villages/Florida. To maintain my current living standard at RE, it'd take $120000/year, $95000, and $90000, respectively. I can RE now in Sac/CA & Florida. RE in Bay Area will only have 84% success via FireCalc (I need to work 1 more year).
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #29

^ between the three locations what contributed to the cost of living difference?

Reading this thread with interest. So far I've only considered NV since it's close to CA and no state income tax. I enjoy the outdoor life, camping way out in the middle of nowhere etc. I'd want a house with an RV parking and a garage big enough for me to work on my cars etc. About 5-6 years ago I was day dreaming about living on a ranch somewhere, living a self-sufficient life with a hobby farm etc but that sounds too mushy now
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
For fun, I did an "expense" exercise for 3 options: living in Bay Area, in Sacramento/CA, and The villages/Florida. To maintain my current living standard at RE, it'd take $120000/year, $95000, and $90000, respectively. I can RE now in Sac/CA & Florida. RE in Bay Area will only have 84% success via FireCalc (I need to work 1 more year).

The difference of $2000+/mo. between the Bay Area and Sacramento surprises me. We didn't find the same thing. In fact, we figure that it would cost us to move out to Sacramento (well, El Dorado County, so that we can retain our Prop 13 tax base).

They get pretty hot out there part of the year and we would have to run A/C during the day and the whole house fan at night. We have very temperate weather here and don't run the A/C more than 2 weeks a year, if that. With the new low-E windows we are installing next week, that frequency might go down.

Water, sewer, and trash rates are also all higher out there. More heat will also require more water for the plants and yard and hence, even higher rates still.

I would like to see what you're looking at because maybe I've missed something important.

We don't golf, so green fees don't count.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought a waterfront condo on the island of Cozumel when properties were on sale in 2010. Rented it out for 3 years and then FIRE's and moved here permanently last May.

Pluses:
- low cost of living
- NO SNOW or FREEZING TEMPS
- avg hi temps thru out the year range from 82F to 91F; avg low temps from 69F to 78F
- lots of sunshine
- people are extremely friendly and welcoming
- lots of water activities - swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, paddleboarding, kayaking, sailing, etc
- much slower pace of life
- no need for a car, we walk everywhere to help stay in shape
- DW and I can go to the movies for about $18 total including the snack bar
- huge variety of excellent restaurants from very inexpensive on up
- easy access to the mainland for travel throughout Mexico and into Central America
- international airport on the island with flights to many U.S. hubs
- active expat community that allows you to get involved in many activities

Minuses:
- forget those, we're selling the location, right?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Bought a waterfront condo on the island of Cozumel when properties were on sale in 2010. Rented it out for 3 years and then FIRE's and moved here permanently last May.

Pluses:
- low cost of living
- NO SNOW or FREEZING TEMPS
- avg hi temps thru out the year range from 82F to 91F; avg low temps from 69F to 78F
- lots of sunshine
- people are extremely friendly and welcoming
- lots of water activities - swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, paddleboarding, kayaking, sailing, etc
- much slower pace of life
- no need for a car, we walk everywhere to help stay in shape
- DW and I can go to the movies for about $18 total including the snack bar
- huge variety of excellent restaurants from very inexpensive on up
- easy access to the mainland for travel throughout Mexico and into Central America
- international airport on the island with flights to many U.S. hubs
- active expat community that allows you to get involved in many activities

Minuses:
- forget those, we're selling the location, right?
+1 on the area. We're over here in Playa del Carmen. Cozumel is a cleaner version of us and have the bike path around the island too. We have often said we'd like to come over there (if only our friends here would too).

The only negative I saw over there is the cruise ships every stinkin' day, but then you just stay away from that part of town, right?

We just found $90 rt air to Tuxtla (Chiapas) from Cancun. We'll definitely be going back there and do some shopping / sights...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone have insight on Belize?
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I think you are way overestimating the cost to live in the Villages . Plus you can not compare "The Villages " to San Francisco . Have you been there ? It is in central Florida not near the coast .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
The difference of $2000+/mo. between the Bay Area and Sacramento surprises me. We didn't find the same thing. In fact, we figure that it would cost us to move out to Sacramento (well, El Dorado County, so that we can retain our Prop 13 tax base).
Selling my house in Bay Area can afford me to buy an equivalent house in cash using equity, and downsizing. This took mortgage out, and reduced property tax for both Sacramento & The Villages estimates. That contributes to the most difference.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think you are way overestimating the cost to live in the Villages . Plus you can not compare "The Villages " to San Francisco . Have you been there ? It is in central Florida not near the coast .
No, I haven't been to the villages but am starting to think about it as an RE option.

B/c I don't know much about village life, my estimate can be more off than my other two estimates. The estimate include $7k (family related expense), and $8k (to play their regulation golf courses year around). House would be bought in cash from equity/downsizing from CA house.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Selling my house in Bay Area can afford me to buy an equivalent house in cash using equity, and downsizing. This took mortgage out, and reduced property tax.
Have you looked at just moving outside the commute zone for most corporate jobs? That might drop your house price in half or more just going out of town 30 minutes or so, depending on where you live now.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
^ between the three locations what contributed to the cost of living difference?

Reading this thread with interest. So far I've only considered NV since it's close to CA and no state income tax. I enjoy the outdoor life, camping way out in the middle of nowhere etc. I'd want a house with an RV parking and a garage big enough for me to work on my cars etc. About 5-6 years ago I was day dreaming about living on a ranch somewhere, living a self-sufficient life with a hobby farm etc but that sounds too mushy now
I hear you. Above was my thinking 7 - 8 years ago and visited Reno area a few times to buy a vacation house (and future retirement home).When the recession came, I stopped looking. 4.5 years ago, me and DW made a mistake of taking up golf and got completely hooked. So, any place with cold winter is out of contention for our retirement and I dropped Reno from the list. The moral of the story - don't pick up golf as your main hobby .
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

At the risk of going off topic... for the younger and "not yet" retirees... one of the points that could have an effect of a decision "not yet made", could be the effects of population growth or loss of the state or area under consideration.
In our case, the population of Florida has increased by a third since we bought in 1991. That shows up in traffic congestion, building out and to a degree, neighborhood stability etc.
On the opposite end, other states and communities have remained stable or decreased in population, sometimes adding strain to taxation.
Not a real big deal, but you may want to take a look at the population history of your current state, or where you may be looking to move.

U.S. Population by State, 1790 to 2012 | Infoplease.com
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Have you looked at just moving outside the commute zone for most corporate jobs? That might drop your house price in half or more just going out of town 30 minutes or so, depending on where you live now.
My Sacramento estimate can be applied to various places in California where house price can be dropped in half. But I am getting more and more annoyed by CA tax situation (prop, sales, income). Sales tax is now averaging close to 10%. Property tax + all the fees can go up to 1.7% of house assessment. Depending on how I fund my RE income, I have to pay State Income tax. They all add up and causing havoc to my FireCalc results .