Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Except that study after study shows that walking is faster than carts, especially when courses limit carts to paths only. My regular foursome, all over 55 with one woman can easily play 18 holes in 3 hours - if there are no people in carts in our way.

But that isn't the perception.

That's because the carts are all weighed down with coolers full of beer!

Mike

wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

My aunt lives in the Villages and loves it. She is a lover of planned activities. She loves golfing, uses the pool a lot. Has a ton of friends.

Pretty sure I would hate it. I like to have my space and privacy and don't like planned activity. To each his/her own!

dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
That's because the carts are all weighed down with coolers full of beer!

Mike
Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular. I know a LOT of people who will not play golf without a beer at hand.

Several years ago (during the last golf boom) there was an article lamenting the drop in tennis players and contrasting it to the growth of golf. The thing the author missed was that the number of golfers walking golf courses had dropped just as precipitously as the number of tennis players. The author did not notice that the real problem seems to be that no one wants to sweat, anymore. I am sure that if someone found a way to play tennis on a scooter with a beer holder we would see a resurgence in tennis participation.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular. I know a LOT of people who will not play golf without a beer at hand.

Several years ago (during the last golf boom) there was an article lamenting the drop in tennis players and contrasting it to the growth of golf. The thing the author missed was that the number of golfers walking golf courses had dropped just as precipitously as the number of tennis players. The author did not notice that the real problem seems to be that no one wants to sweat, anymore. I am sure that if someone found a way to play tennis on a scooter with a beer holder we would see a resurgence in tennis participation.
Most of the public courses around me, to include the military courses, have coolers permanently mounted to the carts!

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Villages is definetely geared to people that like non stop activity . I have a friend that lives there and she loves it .It would drive me bonkers .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy, "to include." Haven't seen or heard that phrase since retirement. You are/were DoD, right?

Amethyst

Quote:
Most of the public courses around me, to include the military courses, have coolers permanently mounted to the carts!

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh boy, "to include." Haven't seen or heard that phrase since retirement. You are/were DoD, right?

Amethyst
Wife and I are both retired Navy. 44 years between the two of us!

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #88

Quote:
Wife and I are both retired Navy. 44 years between the two of us!

Mike
OK, you are former Navy - are you also Cubs fan (Wrigley)?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
OK, you are former Navy - are you also Cubs fan (Wrigley)?

DIEHARD!

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular.
Likely responsible for the STDs as well...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #91
Administrator

Quote:
DIEHARD!
Deepest sympathies
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #92

Quote:
Except that study after study shows that walking is faster than carts, especially when courses limit carts to paths only. My regular foursome, all over 55 with one woman can easily play 18 holes in 3 hours - if there are no people in carts in our way.

But that isn't the perception.
Path only is a different animal. Looking for lost balls (too long) is the biggest culprit IMO. i struggle that walking is faster than carts (I like walking) from my experience.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

DIEHARD!

Mike
Spring training today. We all get to set ourselves up for another disaster.

That's why I also have an AL team!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Deepest sympathies
Condolences from me as well. Somehow DW and I have made our marriage work despite the fact that she is a diehard Cubs fan and I grew up a Cardinals fan.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

Where to move? Right now... Nowhere.
Why? It's a losing proposition. I like where I am fine (Northern IL, don't laugh...), I have everything I need (and then some), everything is paid for, and cost of living is low.
That said... Maybe some day I'll move to the Olympic Peninsula. Balance out those extreme temperatures don't cha know. I can't imagine ever moving south, mostly because of my perception of the summers. Both the dog and I hate the heat. We can tolerate the cold. Even this year. Zero is preferable to 90+ and humidity. But that's me.
DUFUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Deepest sympathies

Thanks.....I know. It's all the goat's fault!

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Condolences from me as well. Somehow DW and I have made our marriage work despite the fact that she is a diehard Cubs fan and I grew up a Cardinals fan.
Wife is a huge Mets fan (almost as bad, but not quite). We are about 3 hours north of Port St. Lucie so we at least can see the Mets spring training games.

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Path only is a different animal. Looking for lost balls (too long) is the biggest culprit IMO. i struggle that walking is faster than carts (I like walking) from my experience.
That is exactly where walking gains the most time over carts. When you hit a ball crooked and can walk directly to it without taking your eye off the spot you can find it very quickly. People in carts end up driving around in circles without really having much of an idea where the ball ended up.

Straight up, empty course, of course I could play faster out of a cart. But the reality of slow play has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the mode of transportation.

Also, I find if I play a course once, walking, I have an excellent memory of the layout and of my round. Riding, the whole experience is a blank.

The other argument I have heard is that you can be more social in a cart. This one is really a stretch for me. Four people can walk down the fairway together and have a very nice conversation. In carts, you had better like the one person you are sitting with.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #99

Quote:
Wife is a huge Mets fan (almost as bad, but not quite). We are about 3 hours north of Port St. Lucie so we at least can see the Mets spring training games.

Mike
Wife wants me to go to Arizona with her for spring training. Sounds like it could be fun but Florida would be so much easier and cheaper to get to.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Mike
Oh, it's pretty bad.

I remember a commercial with Dennis Franz sitting in the Wrigley upper deck with a beer. He looked at the camera and said "What the heck is a Met?".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote