Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: St. Augustine...
Nice town... about 13,000... greater metro area is about 60,000. We have several (couples) friends from High School who live there. I like the area... old town... fort... lots of history. Decent Weather, though subject to cooler days in winter than our Leesburg home... An hour to Jacksonville, and Ormand Beach and Daytona, and about 1 1/2 hrs to Gainesville. A little more to Orlando. 2 hours to The Villages.
We like the sandy beaches further south... ala Daytona, as we love to drive on the beach, and to swim, with a little less 'drop off".
Another possibility to look at is Palm Coast, just south of St Augustine.... When we moved to FL, it wasn't even a town as I recall, and now is a booming metropolis... all new, and very nice.
We went for waterfront... and boating, so the Leesburg, Mt. Dora, Eustis and Tavares area was perfect... and is still a little less expensive than the coasts, especially if one wants to live on the waterfront. Also, a bit less "touristy".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Central Florida has 117 days of precipitation per year. That does not make it the best weather for softball or golf. For those who are familiar with central FL weather, how many days can one play golf through rain, heat, and humidity in central FL?
Florida is filled with golf communities . First pick an area you like and then a golf community . I live a few miles from where they train most of the future golfers and tennis players . IMG academy . The weather here is extremely hot during May to late Sept but I still see then golfing just not as much.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Central Florida has 117 days of precipitation per year. That does not make it the best weather for softball or golf. For those who are familiar with central FL weather, how many days can one play golf through rain, heat, and humidity in central FL?
Hmmm.. that's kinda funny... while we only live there as snowbirds, don't even notice rain (usually between 4Pm and 5PM) kinda like Camelot. From September through April when we've been there... sure, we have warm days, into the low 90's, but not on a regular basis, and have never seen any of our residents not play golf...
Dunno... maybe have to talk to others who live there... we haven't felt uncomfortable, for either heat or humidity, 'cept we go to the pool in the afternoons when it gets warm...
Our experience with the weather in general is that central Florida is much less uncomfortable than on either coast.
The Summers... May through August ARE warmer, but year rounders deal with that as everything is air conditioned.

Would like to hear from anyone who does live in Central Florida, year round, to hear what they think.

I don't have a vested interest in Florida, as we'll probably end up in Illinois, permanently ... in a year or two... (old age) but for the 24 years of being snowbirds, it has been great!.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
A different way of looking at it? I am trying to think of reasons why we *wouldn't* want to move to St. Augustine, FL. Here are the things we know about which suit us:

--No state income tax (OK, that's all of FL)
--Moderate climate (not stinky hot, not freezing cold)
--Smaller, less frantic pace of life
--Schools are said to be good

Any negatives?

Amethyst
Crime. Crime in St. Augustine, Florida
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Hmmm.. that's kinda funny... while we only live there as snowbirds, don't even notice rain (usually between 4Pm and 5PM) kinda like Camelot. From September through April when we've been there... sure, we have warm days, into the low 90's, but not on a regular basis, and have never seen any of our residents not play golf...
Dunno... maybe have to talk to others who live there... we haven't felt uncomfortable, for either heat or humidity, 'cept we go to the pool in the afternoons when it gets warm...
Our experience with the weather in general is that central Florida is much less uncomfortable than on either coast.
The Summers... May through August ARE warmer, but year rounders deal with that as everything is air conditioned.

Would like to hear from anyone who does live in Central Florida, year round, to hear what they think.

I don't have a vested interest in Florida, as we'll probably end up in Illinois, permanently ... in a year or two... (old age) but for the 24 years of being snowbirds, it has been great!.
Also the rainy season is during the summer.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually the coast is more comfortable due to the breeze off the gulf or ocean .
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #127

Quote:
I don't live there, but my Dad lives in Lake County (Tavares) and he like it there a lot.

I think his only complaint is in the summer when he's doing yard work and it's very hot. Of course there are a few solutions to that (hire someone to do it or don't own a single family house).

It has worked out well for him. Pretty reasonable cost of living. He's found many friends there. And the medical care is even quite good.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #128

Quote:
A different way of looking at it? I am trying to think of reasons why we *wouldn't* want to move to St. Augustine, FL. Here are the things we know about which suit us:

--No state income tax (OK, that's all of FL)
--Moderate climate (not stinky hot, not freezing cold)
--Smaller, less frantic pace of life
--Schools are said to be good

Any negatives?

Amethyst
CDD's are rampant in central and northern Fl and many are beginning to default. The Villages just lost a major court case in which there bond's will no longer be tax exempt which will impede further financing. My research tells me Julington Creek Plantation maybe the best of the bunch.

Schools are better in Northern part of St.Johns county including PV and PVB.

Be careful of elevation, built on slab,any sort of water frontage (Ocean,river,lake,canal,recharge basin) as fairly soon Fema will be eliminating subsidies and redrawing flood maps.

Underfunded budgets for HOA's and Condo's and liability insurance are primary area's of concern.

I still love the idea of St.Johns county (on paper) and it is in my top two choices along with Peachtree City,Ga at this point.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Actually the coast is more comfortable due to the breeze off the gulf or ocean .
+1 MY 96 y/o dad has lived in Florida for many years and I have visited at least 100 times. He originally lived on the Ocean in Vero Beach and we both agree it has the best year round weather of any place we have been. Unfortunately, you need to get off the barrier island occasionally or more and 1 mile inland is absolutely brutal in the summer.

For the past 15 years has lived in a CCRC in central Florida and claims it is "Hell on Earth" and an automatic "Free Pass" to heaven! I have been many times and in the summer you can't breathe or do anything outside do to the risk of severe thunderstorms almost daily. Of course winters are better and you do have those orange tree's in the backyard!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Wife wants me to go to Arizona with her for spring training. Sounds like it could be fun but Florida would be so much easier and cheaper to get to.
And access to players may be better in Florida if they still have older stadiums.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Ugh, wow! Wonder what makes the crime rate so high compared with the rest of the country? Our current zip code is rated a "3."

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by InParadise View Post
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ugh, wow! Wonder what makes the crime rate so high compared with the rest of the country? Our current zip code is rated a "3."

Amethyst
LOTS and LOTS of tourists!

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's true my location doesn't get many tourists.

Are you saying the tourists commit the crimes, or that criminals are more inclined to attack tourists? If the tourists are decoying the criminals away from people's homes, so much the better right?

Actually I checked the crime ratings of some FL towns farther south, where I used to live, and where there are lots of tourists, and the crime rates weren't that high. So I'm still wondering...will have to do more research.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
LOTS and LOTS of tourists!

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
CDD's are rampant in central and northern Fl and many are beginning to default. The Villages just lost a major court case in which there bond's will no longer be tax exempt which will impede further financing. My research tells me Julington Creek Plantation maybe the best of the bunch.

Schools are better in Northern part of St.Johns county including PV and PVB.

Be careful of elevation, built on slab,any sort of water frontage (Ocean,river,lake,canal,recharge basin) as fairly soon Fema will be eliminating subsidies and redrawing flood maps.

Underfunded budgets for HOA's and Condo's and liability insurance are primary area's of concern.

I still love the idea of St.Johns county (on paper) and it is in my top two choices along with Peachtree City,Ga at this point.
Julington Creek has been around for quite some time. It has built up so fast and so much it's almost like a city within a city. Don't get me wrong......it is a nice area to live in but it now has it's own schools, shopping centers, ball fields, soccer fields, that the original "home town" community feel has escaped.

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #135

I don't think I'd put a lot of stock in those crime numbers - used that link to check where my folks have lived for years (Daytona Beach Shores), and they show similar numbers to St. Augustine but crime is certainly not an issue. Checking that site for a town just five miles south of them, and the numbers show below the national average so I think maybe checking another source would be a good idea.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

We are still in Atlanta.
20 minutes to son and grandchildren and wife's relatives.
4 seasons - short winters.
Georgia mountains less than 2 hours away. Love going up to the mountain lakes during the summer
Great Parks - esp. during the week when there are no crowds. Love cycling and the PATH foundation has built a lot of great bike paths.
Great medical - we live real close to Emory
7-8 hour drive to 4 different cruise ports and about 8 hours to the Beach during the winter (St. Pete's) and 5 + during the spring and fall
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
We are still in Atlanta.
about 8 hours to the Beach during the winter (St. Pete's) and 5 + during the spring and fall
Right now that is the only downside about the Atlanta area we have run into. Suppose you could hop on a plane and be at a beach in the Caribbean in less time.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
OK, you are former Navy - are you also Cubs fan (Wrigley)?
And more importantly, are those bulldogs yours? If so, what are their names?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Julington Creek has been around for quite some time. It has built up so fast and so much it's almost like a city within a city. Don't get me wrong......it is a nice area to live in but it now has it's own schools, shopping centers, ball fields, soccer fields, that the original "home town" community feel has escaped.

Mike
Wrigley,
I only mentioned it in relation to the financial risks of a CDD such as Nocatee or Durbin crossing. I will have 2 young children so St.John's schools and proximity to UF in Gainesville are driving my decision, although I find Mandarin in Duval county interesting.

I am retired but my wife will be working for another 20 years, so we will probably need to be in commuting distance of Jacksonville, which is why we are not looking at Amelia Island.

Fruit Cove seems to check most of our boxes,

I see you are in Jax, any advice to offer?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
And more importantly, are those bulldogs yours? If so, what are their names?

They sure are! They are sisters from the same litter and will be 7 years old in June. We brought them home from the breeder the day after they turned 8 weeks old. We have had at least one bulldog in our family spanning the past 16 years. Emma is in the foreground and Shea (my wife's the Met's fan ) is in the background (on my avatar) .

Mike

I think I linked a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.jpg (432.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1164.JPG (142.6 KB, 8 views)